Sign in to follow this  
ZRX4ME

Cush Drive

Hello!

One of the things often overlooked during maintenance is the condition of the rubber cushions in the rear hub. Worn cushions can have the same effect as a loose chain, affect shifting, on/off throttle feel.

With the transmission in neutral, attempt to rotate the rear sprocket back and forth relative to the rear wheel. You may get a slight movement if you can flex the cushions, but back and forth slop means the cushions are worn and need to be replaced. These items are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, especially if you are replacing a tire, sprocket,servicing the rear wheel bearings, or any other time the rear wheel is off the bike.

Good info Terry. I've considered changing those in the past on the CBR.

I had my "sprocket hub" crack into many pieces. It was common on my bike, but was also due to the rubber cush drive shrinking over time and basically causing slack. It is a good idea to change those out every few year. Like Terry said, quick and inexpensive.

Just changed them on my Vstrom per BERG'S recommendation--he has lots of good service ideas...and we've (the Club) have the right man for the job! :thumbsup: Congrats, Terry!

DrJ

I had my "sprocket hub" crack into many pieces. It was common on my bike, but was also due to the rubber cush drive shrinking over time and basically causing slack. It is a good idea to change those out every few year. Like Terry said, quick and inexpensive.

Shrinkage in any form is never a good thing... :biggrin: :biggrin: Sorry, I couldn't rersist. My apologies!

DrJ

I just changed my "rubbers"... got the same advice from Terry 9 years later...

• Upvote 3

I have never changed them, but have thought about it. Was advised couple decades ago by a friend that it is not really necessary as long as the rubbers are all intact. THEN another friend on the ex500 forum suggested if one can not replace them due to not stocking them or unable to obtain good ones to cut up an aluminum can and to layer that in there to take up the slop, that just felt weird to do IMO.

We talked and the conclusion I came up with is due to most of my bikes have been smaller CC bikes as the reason for them not needed it. The birds was tight and I know it was not needed and the GL's well they were shaft driven.

• Upvote 1

I was cheap when I had my ex500 and used a bike inner tube around the cush rubbers

Wouldn't do that now... But if you're ballin on a real budget might work better than the current situation

• Upvote 2

the 500 forum fog is the one I was referring to about the soda can advice. I think it was the one guy that was in New York that was on an extreme budget that he advised that too. When we talked it was because of the stock v/s price and if it was that bad it could be done thing... vaguely remembering that conversation... but yeah the 500, bet though it is interchangeable with many many modern bike on their cush drives.

Did I mention I am loving that lil 250 more and more, got the chance to ride it a few minutes this am going to check my mail did not want to even attempt to get my truck into the VFW in Brentwood like I normally do due to the weekend activities anyway moving along... cush drive changing a good thing...

• Upvote 1