ibkevman

Ride to Work Day, 2008

I work at home :pinch:

Should I just park it out in the driveway?

Me too Dan... I think that morning I'll just get up early and drive over to Alton and back and call that my commute. Maybe at 5pm I'll do it again.

i ride every day that doesn't have bad weather, but i'm interested to see if there are noticably more bikes out tomorrow. dont know why people wouldn't ride to work normally anyways, unless they are a suit or something.

ill see if i can get the bike put together. then ill go for a ride tomorrow since i dont have a job right now :headbang:

Hmm...I guess I'll ride since I rode today to work why not the whole week :laugh:

I dont' have a brake line... :headbang:

But i'll imagine myself riding to work tomorrow...

Of course the base satefy office is doing checks today.

The Navy guy that checked my ID said "all bicycles need to go over there for a check", I told him that I was on a MOTORcycle, not bicycle. He said, "oh yea, but you need to go over there" Dumb ass Navy.

So I am not wearing over the ankle boots so the lady tried to give me a flyer with the DoD Policies. I have about 20 of those in my tank bag. I said no thanks and rode off. Surprised she didn't try to give me a ticket, but Dom could get me out of it anyway.

But hey, I'm on my bike and only have 4 days before surgery. I won't be able to ride (or even leave my house) on Sunday, so I have a few more days to ride. But school it the #1 priority right now.

Hope everyone had a good ride into work!!!!

I dont' have a brake line... :headbang:

But i'll imagine myself riding to work tomorrow...

Brakes are overrated anyway :biggrin:

yeah, ask Randy :loser:

Back brake, yes. But I kinda like the front brake....and I don't have one right now.

No idea why he took the brake line off.

Back brake, yes. But I kinda like the front brake....and I don't have one right now.

No idea why he took the brake line off.

So all you need to do is put it back on?

Of course the base satefy office is doing checks today.

The Navy guy that checked my ID said "all bicycles need to go over there for a check", I told him that I was on a MOTORcycle, not bicycle. He said, "oh yea, but you need to go over there" Dumb ass Navy.

So I am not wearing over the ankle boots so the lady tried to give me a flyer with the DoD Policies. I have about 20 of those in my tank bag. I said no thanks and rode off. Surprised she didn't try to give me a ticket, but Dom could get me out of it anyway.

But hey, I'm on my bike and only have 4 days before surgery. I won't be able to ride (or even leave my house) on Sunday, so I have a few more days to ride. But school it the #1 priority right now.

Hope everyone had a good ride into work!!!!

I was one of the ones doing the safety checks...The funny thing is, if you know the policy, and you choose not to follow it...nevermind.

To be honest, we didn't want to do it the formal (names, units, blah, blah)...we wanted to just have a ride by, educate, and let ya on your way. But someone in the Safety Office wanted to ruin Ride to Work Day.

My personal opinion...if ya don't wanna follow policy, don't ride on base...and if you do ride on base out of reg, atleast be adult enough to take the hit...but that's just me.

I was one of the ones doing the safety checks...The funny thing is, if you know the policy, and you choose not to follow it...nevermind.

To be honest, we didn't want to do it the formal (names, units, blah, blah)...we wanted to just have a ride by, educate, and let ya on your way. But someone in the Safety Office wanted to ruin Ride to Work Day.

My personal opinion...if ya don't wanna follow policy, don't ride on base...and if you do ride on base out of reg, atleast be adult enough to take the hit...but that's just me.

You are entitled to your opinion and it is policy. I didn't say it ruined my day to ride. It just seems funny that when I don't wear my boots, someone said something. It sucks that those checks aren't done more often and throughout the day. I know the policy and keep the flyers in my tank bag to give to the civilians that think it's okay for them to wear short-sleeves. I was in and I followed policy while in too. Never once did I think she was a bad person or blame her for doing her job. This board is for everyone and I was venting, mostly about the moron in the Navy that called my motorcycle a bicycle. But for taking it the wrong way and thinking that I'm a bad person for venting about having to wear over the ankle boots every day, sorry, but that is MY opinion.

So all you need to do is put it back on?

Yeah and add more fluid, but I didn't have the patience to do it last night. I couldn't ride, so I indulged in a bottle of Pink Lemonade vodka instead... :biggrin:

I thought I saw you at the Belleville gate this morning. I didn't ride thanks to running so late this morning (still can't find my freaking missing glove...had to be a kid or cat). But I thought it was a good idea. And who in the safety office wanted to ruin things I wonder... :dry:

I agree with GSXRGirl that more checks need to be done. Heck, until the class two weeks ago I didn't know the policy had changed to require over the ankle boots. I had been using work duty sneakers right up until that class.

You are entitled to your opinion and it is policy. I didn't say it ruined my day to ride. It just seems funny that when I don't wear my boots, someone said something. It sucks that those checks aren't done more often and throughout the day. I know the policy and keep the flyers in my tank bag to give to the civilians that think it's okay for them to wear short-sleeves. I was in and I followed policy while in too. Never once did I think she was a bad person or blame her for doing her job. This board is for everyone and I was venting, mostly about the moron in the Navy that called my motorcycle a bicycle. But for taking it the wrong way and thinking that I'm a bad person for venting about having to wear over the ankle boots every day, sorry, but that is MY opinion.

I prolly shoulda re-read my reply before posting...I just realized the tone was a bit, uh, negative is the word I'll go with...My apologise for that.

I do not think yer a bad person at all...although a couple of peeps that came throught the Belleville gate, well, I guess that's who my reply was aimed at.

Again...I hope we're square...no hard feelings..

I agree with GSXRGirl that more checks need to be done. Heck, until the class two weeks ago I didn't know the policy had changed to require over the ankle boots. I had been using work duty sneakers right up until that class.

Although I don't work directly with the Safety Office (I'm an MSF/SBSC instructor), I'll admit that they didnt' get the word out about the new policy very well...but it was probably covered during the Motorcycle All Call a month or so ago. To that end, someone will be at the next First Shirt (or Top III) meeting tomorrow to discuss the policy, which should get pushed to the rest of the other Orgs on base...Personally, I'd send a base-wide email covering the policy, but that probably wouldn't go over that well :)

And it would be easier if SF enforced the policy...all the rest of us can do is educate violators on the policy (which was today's purpose)

While it would be easier if "SF enforced the policy" please let me know when you find more then five or six of us working on a daily basis. Well unless you find yourself in Iraq that might be a different story. Thats like saying "I wish the dental clinic would send people to stand next to every sink in the evening to watch people brush their teeth." We (SF) are given the luxury of being augmented by cooks and people that pass out basketballs for a living. That makes up about 75% of our personnel that rotate in and out every 30 days. Can YOU teach someone everything they are supposed to do in your job (policies, enforcement, etc.) in less then 30 days? I think not. Sorry chap, but there are more pressing matters we deal with on a daily basis then standing at a gate worrying whether or not little Johnny wore his boots or his sneakers on his bike. If I see something wrong, I'll correct the situation. I haven't mastered the art of being everywhere at the same time but the Lord above might have some insight. You cannot place blame for a policy that has been implemented and not being enforced base wide unless you would like to share the blame with the rest of us. The truth is that we are ALL responsible for following and enforcing the standards, (you should already know that being a motorcycle safety instructor and an NCO) even my love (GSXRGirl) is not above making mistakes, and minor slipups do occur everyday. The other day I forgot my bright ass orange reflector belt that is normally wrapped around my backpack. It was a human mistake and one that can be expected from anyone, even someone expected to enforce regulations (little old me). It is the habitual "I don't need to follow rules" mentality that often causes the problems for Safety/MSF Instructors/SF more then it is the simple "boots above the ankle" policy that is enforced. My point is that we have a responsibility to ourselves and eachother both on base and off to promote the standards that help alleviate unnecessary risks whether anyone agrees with the policy or not. Those standards are in place because it is what is necessary to manage those risks and the Air Force will continue to allow its members (and civillian counterparts) to operate motorcycles. Do you think the Air Force is incapable of prohibiting 2 wheeled cycles from being operated on base? Think again! Think you will be covered under Tri-Care medical coverage if you sustain injuries and you are NOT following the policy which outlines the safe operation of a motorcycle? Think again! I have personally witnessed 3 different situations where Air Force personnel were injured from a motorcycle accident and were not only reprimanded for disobeying a direct order, but were ordered to pay a substantial premium as a result of their injury. Thats like not having insurance at all. And that my friend, could result in a very bad day. :yes:

Wear your damn helmet and wear your damn gear. Not wearing gear doesn't make you look cool. If you don't wear your gear you're dumb so there! :biggrin:

While it would be easier if "SF enforced the policy" please let me know when you find more then five or six of us working on a daily basis. Well unless you find yourself in Iraq that might be a different story. Thats like saying "I wish the dental clinic would send people to stand next to every sink in the evening to watch people brush their teeth." We (SF) are given the luxury of being augmented by cooks and people that pass out basketballs for a living. That makes up about 75% of our personnel that rotate in and out every 30 days. Can YOU teach someone everything they are supposed to do in your job (policies, enforcement, etc.) in less then 30 days? I think not. Sorry chap, but there are more pressing matters we deal with on a daily basis then standing at a gate worrying whether or not little Johnny wore his boots or his sneakers on his bike. If I see something wrong, I'll correct the situation. I haven't mastered the art of being everywhere at the same time but the Lord above might have some insight. You cannot place blame for a policy that has been implemented and not being enforced base wide unless you would like to share the blame with the rest of us. The truth is that we are ALL responsible for following and enforcing the standards, (you should already know that being a motorcycle safety instructor and an NCO) even my love (GSXRGirl) is not above making mistakes, and minor slipups do occur everyday. The other day I forgot my bright ass orange reflector belt that is normally wrapped around my backpack. It was a human mistake and one that can be expected from anyone, even someone expected to enforce regulations (little old me). It is the habitual "I don't need to follow rules" mentality that often causes the problems for Safety/MSF Instructors/SF more then it is the simple "boots above the ankle" policy that is enforced. My point is that we have a responsibility to ourselves and eachother both on base and off to promote the standards that help alleviate unnecessary risks whether anyone agrees with the policy or not. Those standards are in place because it is what is necessary to manage those risks and the Air Force will continue to allow its members (and civillian counterparts) to operate motorcycles. Do you think the Air Force is incapable of prohibiting 2 wheeled cycles from being operated on base? Think again! Think you will be covered under Tri-Care medical coverage if you sustain injuries and you are NOT following the policy which outlines the safe operation of a motorcycle? Think again! I have personally witnessed 3 different situations where Air Force personnel were injured from a motorcycle accident and were not only reprimanded for disobeying a direct order, but were ordered to pay a substantial premium as a result of their injury. Thats like not having insurance at all. And that my friend, could result in a very bad day. :yes:

Wear your damn helmet and wear your damn gear. Not wearing gear doesn't make you look cool. If you don't wear your gear you're dumb so there! :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong...I totally understand SF ops-tempo...but, blatant discrepencies (no gloves, short sleeve shirts) should be addressed at the gate. And I do my part in correcting, well, atleast pointing out to the individual incase he/she is unaware of the policy...but the answer I get is usually, "They let me in the gate like this, who are you to tell me I'm wrong." But, yea...I hear ya. It was funny how many Maj and Lt Col we caught in the wrong...THAT is a major problem, when senior leadership fails (knowingly) to follow the rules...and I mean not even following the OLD reg.

Honestly this has been a problem for years...and will continue to be a problem for years to come.

And I agree with you Curtis, that it is a problem that must be addressed at the top and filter down. I make sure the Airmen I work with do their job as correct as possible but its rather disheartening when an O-6 cannot be trusted to do the right thing, even after an E-3 asks them to abide by the rules and regulations. I am not making excuses but there is a world of difference in conversation when it is an O-6 speaking to a brand new E-3 versus an O-6 speaking to an experienced E-6. We need to hold our leaders accountable and ask them to lead by example and to take responsibility for their actions. I know that would be a long shot, but that is what we deal with as NCOs.