Sign in to follow this  
Ducboy

Driving Car with No Plates. How can I do it legally?

Short story, I am flying out of state Friday to pick up my new car from a private seller and drive it back to Missouri. I checked on the Missouri temporary tags, and I have to have the title and bill of sale, which is impossible to come up with before I actually buy the car :headbang:

So, I planned on just driving back with no plates, and if I get pulled over (highly likely) I would show the bill of sale and explain. Is this the right approach, or would it be better to bring a plate from one of my other cars as a temporary solution to keep from getting pulled over in the first place? :confused:

Anyone else dealt with this before? How to I drive the car back legally?

Short story, I am flying out of state Friday to pick up my new car from a private seller and drive it back to Missouri. I checked on the Missouri temporary tags, and I have to have the title and bill of sale, which is impossible to come up with before I actually buy the car :headbang:

So, I planned on just driving back with no plates, and if I get pulled over (highly likely) I would show the bill of sale and explain. Is this the right approach, or would it be better to bring a plate from one of my other cars as a temporary solution to keep from getting pulled over in the first place? :confused:

Anyone else dealt with this before? How to I drive the car back legally?

you cant really, unless you buy the car before going out there, and title and license it and insure it, and bring the plates and ins. card with ya.

i'd bring plates from another vehicle and hope for the best. a buddy of mine did this regularly in the city for several months on his truck. he took it slow and easy to work and never had any problems. he was in the same state as the plates however.

I think you have 30 days to license and insure a car. Check with your agent on the insurance and keep your bill of sale handy.

You can take an insurance policy out on the car as long as you have the VIN for the car. This is a very special car and you might want to call your agent before you leave to pick up the car. If you don't have an agent most companies have a 1-800 number on their website's... you should call there. You might look on the Progressive web site and get a quote. Not becuase it's cheaper but because they will FAX you an insurance card right from the web site. This might not work for a Lotus.

The state in which you buy the car should be able to issue you a temp-tag (that little sticker you put in the window) for a fee. As long as you have your bill of sale, odemeter cert (if required) and you need the signed title from the seller. You may have to stongly encourage them to issue the temp tag (for some reason they don't like to do it, at least that's what I found with Illinois.) Check the site for the DMV of the state where you are buying the car. Either talk to the seller or find the closest DMV office you can go to and get the temp-tag. Call the office ahead of time and make sure that they will do this for you. I called the same office in Illinois 3 times and got 3 different answers. I called two other offices in Illinois and got 2 more answers so I went prepared for anything. In Missouri you have 24 hours from the dated bill of sale date to get the car homebut you still need insurance. Illinois will issue you a ticket for not having a temp tag.

EDIT - I got that exactly wrong above... It was in Illinois that they kept telling me that I didn't need a temp tag that I had 24 hours... That's was why they didn't want to sell me one. It's Missouri they will ticket you for no temp tag :headbang: You always need insurance though.

I think you have 30 days to license and insure a car. Check with your agent on the insurance and keep your bill of sale handy.
that law has been abolished in illinois

It all depends on how the revenuer who stops you interprets the law .

Simplest thing it to have all paper work w/ you and just put a pair of tags on that already belong to you .

You could have the title and bill of sale overnighted to you if you already paid for car .

In MO> you are covered for 30 days on your ins. but it would be wise to notify them so as not to give them any type of out in event of something going wrong .

And the biggest thing is try not to get caught speeding :ninja: :laugh:

Just put plates on it from a different car and do the speed limit and i would not worry about it what so ever.

Thanks for all the replies :cool: I've already got insurance and roadside assist set up effective midnight Thursday for the Friday pickup, so I'm good there. I'll take the front plate from my car with me and I'll have the signed title and bill of sale on hand as well.

I suppose I'll try and keep this car under the speed limit :whistling:

I don't know where you're going to get the car from, but I bought my Audi TT in Richmond, VA last November...flew out there with the cash, a screwdriver, a license plate from my Silverado, and a radar detector in my back pack. If you're taking a detector, check out state laws. Thankfully someone told me on the flight out there that they are fully illegal to even have plugged in, in that state. I made it 845 miles home straight through in 11.5 hours with no troubles. Congrats on your car and god speed on your race, er, drive home!

Coming from a Law Enforcement perspective, I would highly encourage you to seek temp registration in the state you buy it in. Driving a Lotus attracts attention. Whether you are speeding or not, you may still have your tags ran. If you put plates from a different vehicle on your new Lotus and your plate is ran in a casual manner (which happens all the time), the Officer will realize the plate belongs on another vehicle. At that point the Officer may consider the vehicle to be possibly stolen. In that case, you will be be pulled over, possibly handcuffed and your car searched. It will take some time to sort out the mess that you have gotten yourself into, bill of sale or not. Not to mention the officer will see that you have Illinois/Missouri plates which require both plates and he may charge you with something having to do with that if you only have one plate. I strongly suggest you speak to the DMV when you buy the car and have them issue you temporary plates until you get home. Any dealership would do this for you regardless of the state you purchase the vehicle in, and I am assuming you are buying from a private party. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the trouble and time it could take to sort out a royal mess that you might get yourself into. Driving a vehicle without registration is against the law and generally a bad idea. DO NOT put your plates from another vehicle on your new car. Not unless you have both and are willing to spin a fallacy about selling your old car and plating your new one with the old plates. Just go down to the DMV and wait in line for 45 minutes and pay a small fee for avoiding a hassle. I am by no means an expert but I would hate to see you get yourself into jam. Even if you do like Ipods, Macs, and Ducatis. I absolutely ADORE the Lotus and aspire to one day own one. That car is a true thing of beauty and finesse. Isn't it worth the extra hour or two to make sure it makes it to your garage in the easiest trip possible? :wink:

I strongly suggest you speak to the DMV when you buy the car and have them issue you temporary plates...

+1

Coming from a Law Enforcement perspective, I would highly encourage you to seek temp registration in the state you buy it in. Driving a Lotus attracts attention. Whether you are speeding or not, you may still have your tags ran. If you put plates from a different vehicle on your new Lotus and your plate is ran in a casual manner (which happens all the time), the Officer will realize the plate belongs on another vehicle. At that point the Officer may consider the vehicle to be possibly stolen. In that case, you will be be pulled over, possibly handcuffed and your car searched. It will take some time to sort out the mess that you have gotten yourself into, bill of sale or not. Not to mention the officer will see that you have Illinois/Missouri plates which require both plates and he may charge you with something having to do with that if you only have one plate. I strongly suggest you speak to the DMV when you buy the car and have them issue you temporary plates until you get home. Any dealership would do this for you regardless of the state you purchase the vehicle in, and I am assuming you are buying from a private party. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the trouble and time it could take to sort out a royal mess that you might get yourself into. Driving a vehicle without registration is against the law and generally a bad idea. DO NOT put your plates from another vehicle on your new car. Not unless you have both and are willing to spin a fallacy about selling your old car and plating your new one with the old plates. Just go down to the DMV and wait in line for 45 minutes and pay a small fee for avoiding a hassle. I am by no means an expert but I would hate to see you get yourself into jam. Even if you do like Ipods, Macs, and Ducatis. I absolutely ADORE the Lotus and aspire to one day own one. That car is a true thing of beauty and finesse. Isn't it worth the extra hour or two to make sure it makes it to your garage in the easiest trip possible? :wink:

Very good points Dom. I scoured the Virginia DMV site and it is completely worthless. I'll try and call today to see if I can't line something up before I fly out on Friday.

And by the way, this car will NEVER have a front plate, regardless of the law. There is no place I wold be willing to put it that wouldn't destroy the front clam or block a significant amount of airflow to the cooling system. I'll just deal with the consequences there. :thumbsup:

fuck it, Cannonball Run that bitch! If they cant catch you , they cant give you a ticket, right? :whistling: :biggrin:

fuck it, Cannonball Run that bitch! If they cant catch you , they cant give you a ticket, right? :whistling: :biggrin:

srs Chick makes the best point of all , run that mofo , it's not registered to you so if you crash , get out and run . :ninja::whistling:

Sorry to say Steve, although he will wipe his butt with ANY other 4 wheeled vehicle out there, especially around corners (The Lotus is arguably and believably the world's best handling car) Police have radios, helicopters, and the ability to shut down roads. That is not to say he won't get away though. I would like to see him re-enact David Carridine's role in "Death race 2000." That movie was the bombizzle! I heard there is a new movie out called Death Race that is supposed to be loosely based on that film. I think I am going to go watch that movie now that I thought of it. :biggrin:

And by the way, this car will NEVER have a front plate, regardless of the law. There is no place I wold be willing to put it that wouldn't destroy the front clam or block a significant amount of airflow to the cooling system. I'll just deal with the consequences there. :thumbsup:

I had a 97 Trans Am with ram air for about 4 years. I never had a front plate and only got 2 tickets (1 in Florissant, 1 from a state trooper on 21). I even work in Bella Villa and they never gave me any trouble. Also I was told that the front plate would disrupt air flow to the ram air intakes and cost a few horsepower.

Very good points Dom. I scoured the Virginia DMV site and it is completely worthless. I'll try and call today to see if I can't line something up before I fly out on Friday.

I too scoured the Virginia web site and finally called one of the local offices. The (obviously young) woman there told me that they could issue a "transport permit" I had read on the web site that a "transport permit" was only for Virginia residents, so I asked her... "I'm from the state of Missouri and have a Missouri drivers liscense, isn't that only for Virginia residents?" The reply... "Um... oh yeah... I guess that wouldn't work for you." Me-> "thank you have a great day!"

I called the 800 number for the Virginia DMV and talked to "Becky" and obviously more well informed individual and she said... "The state of virginia doesn't issue any temporary permits for out of state transport that you have to transport it on a truck." Ok...

Virginia DMV 1-800-435-5137 like that does any good.

Now my advice is... Don't try to carry the screwdriver in your carry on bag or just buy one when you get there!

EDIT - I called the DMV of Missouri and they can't issue a temp permit unless you have applicable Missouri Inspection certs... that's helpful.

I too scoured the Virginia web site and finally called one of the local offices. The (obviously young) woman there told me that they could issue a "transport permit" I had read on the web site that a "transport permit" was only for Virginia residents, so I asked her... "I'm from the state of Missouri and have a Missouri drivers liscense, isn't that only for Virginia residents?" The reply... "Um... oh yeah... I guess that wouldn't work for you." Me-> "thank you have a great day!"

I called the 800 number for the Virginia DMV and talked to "Becky" and obviously more well informed individual and she said... "The state of virginia doesn't issue any temporary permits for out of state transport that you have to transport it on a truck." Ok...

Virginia DMV 1-800-435-5137 like that does any good.

Now my advice is... Don't try to carry the screwdriver in your carry on bag or just buy one when you get there!

EDIT - I called the DMV of Missouri and they can't issue a temp permit unless you have applicable Missouri Inspection certs... that's helpful.

Very nice! Thanks for checking on this for me. It was totally unexpected :cool:

So, what I am gathering is that the best solution is to just drive plate-less and prepare for the conversation with law enforcement officials in multiple states. :headbang: Hey, at least I'll have signed title and bill of sale :thumbsup:

I called back again and talked to a woman name "Linda" this time... Linda seemed to be a little more concerned with her work and she says that they will issue a "Transport Permit" to an out of state person.

I don't know... I hope you will at least make a try to get a permit and if it fails them resort to plan B.

I have refrained from saying it so far but I would be mostly worried about them impounding the car. You... we can get out of jail. The car and any damage done by a tow truck... not so much... Good Luck and surely keep us informed of what you learn.

Nice car, BTW.

I called back again and talked to a woman name "Linda" this time... Linda seemed to be a little more concerned with her work and she says that they will issue a "Transport Permit" to an out of state person.

I don't know... I hope you will at least make a try to get a permit and if it fails them resort to plan B.

I have refrained from saying it so far but I would be mostly worried about them impounding the car. You... we can get out of jail. The car and any damage done by a tow truck... not so much... Good Luck and surely keep us informed of what you learn.

Nice car, BTW.

Thanks again. I just got off the phone with the Missouri State Highway Patrol, and they suggested that I just drive without plates and have my paperwork handy. Sad there isn't a better way. I can't possibly be the first person to do this :headbang:

If I get pulled over, it will NOT be because of speeding this weekend. That's all I have to say.

So what happened with all this? Did you make it back with the car or is it in an impound lot somewhere and you haven't posted 'cause you're in the hoo-scow somewhere? :huh:

my guess is he has a new buddy named bubbles that calls him "my bitch" :wub: :biggrin:

my guess is he has a new buddy named bubbles that calls him "my bitch" :wub: :biggrin:

:huh:-----> :blink:------> :yikesomg:------> :icon_rofl: