gonecrazy

gsteway oct 12th trackday roll call

Thanks, I will be caging it. I need to get my brother out since his fiancé finally broke up with broke up with him after dragging him along for 3 months. He's quite depressed, is a race fan and needs to get out.

Bikes prepped and truck all packed. Stoked about tomorrow. The few, the far between, THE WEEKENDS OFF!!!! :wootwoot:

I got parts!!

See ya'll out there!!!

I'll be pitted next to where all the control riders are...come say hi!

:bunny: :bunny:

Have fun.

Did my track day yesterday--scenery was stunning and there were no entry fees... :whistling:

DrJ

Have fun.

Did my track day yesterday--scenery was stunning and there were no entry fees... :whistling:

DrJ

+1 :biggrin:

Kevin,

I don't know if you have participated in the MCRA track days or not, but if you do go you get plenty of track time. I have been to every MCRA track day for the past 3 years. The new schedule this year takes a bit to get used to, but MCRA made sure track day riders still get all thier sessions. The break for Lunch and the races is a bit longer than I would like, but they are working on it and it gets better with each track day. So just come out and ride!!!!!

Well I don't know what you're idea of quality tracktime is, but an mcra event at gateway is not it. I have been to most gateway events as well and I have never logged more than a 100 miles in a day. Matter of fact, this past sunday was the closest I got to a 100miles. 97.4 to be exact and I did every minute of every session we got which was only 6 sessions.

At putnam and other tracks i usually will average about 150-160 miles in a day. Sorry but those are the facts.

That may be the truth, but for people like me that haven't had much track time, it's perfect. Yes, I went down early, which sucked! But it's only a few miles from our house and perfect for people that need general experience. That is what I feel about Gateway.

I thought Gateway wasn't really a good track for more experienced (faster) riders anyway. The track size and location of concrete barriers are what I've been told are concerns for some fast riders. While I'd love to get out on some of the other tracks, for less than $150 with fuel and extras, it's a no brainer to me. But to each his/her own. Can't wait for next year.

Erin, nice to meet you and Dominic Sunday. Well, sort of meet. Should have formally introduced myself. Oh, and thanks for trying your friend for the clutch lever.

Amy, thanks a ton for trying to help me with parts/tools hook ups. It was greatly appreciated.

I thought Gateway wasn't really a good track for more experienced (faster) riders anyway. The track size and location of concrete barriers are what I've been told are concerns for some fast riders. While I'd love to get out on some of the other tracks, for less than $150 with fuel and extras, it's a no brainer to me. But to each his/her own. Can't wait for next year.

Erin, nice to meet you and Dominic Sunday. Well, sort of meet. Should have formally introduced myself. Oh, and thanks for trying your friend for the clutch lever.

Amy, thanks a ton for trying to help me with parts/tools hook ups. It was greatly appreciated.

what walls..you just need to go faster and you never see them :whistling:

I had a blast on Sunday, and to echo what Erin already said, Gateway is just easier for people who may not be able to travel as much as others. I can try to put in for leave and plan a trip but there are no guarantees, which just sucks. In the meantime, I will take whatever I can get which was a great day at Gateway. I can't wait to try some other tracks as well but I can't thank the folks at MCRA for putting together an event I will not soon forget. I learned a lot about my bike and myself. Hooligan, did I meet up with you sometime through the day? I don't remember half the people I talked to that day. I remember yelling at Amy. That was stress-relieving/fun! :crossbonesgif: Good times!

I pitted next to you all. I have the grey 500 that went down early. :squid: I suck at introductions . . . and social skills in general come to think of it. Stayed just long enough to see Stu return from his crash. Friggin' crash fest that day!

Well I don't know what you're idea of quality tracktime is, but an mcra event at gateway is not it. I have been to most gateway events as well and I have never logged more than a 100 miles in a day. Matter of fact, this past sunday was the closest I got to a 100miles. 97.4 to be exact and I did every minute of every session we got which was only 6 sessions.

At putnam and other tracks i usually will average about 150-160 miles in a day. Sorry but those are the facts.

assuming you turn 1:14's at GIR... you should be logging 125-135 (6 20 mins sessions)

that same tic at Putnam (i'll use 1:20's) would log you 140-150 (6 20 mins sessions)

thats a 10% variance just based on track alone... no more track time, same comparison.

mileage comparisons dont work on tracks of different speeds. you wanna rack up miles go ride with Randy! haha

Crashes shortening the day cost everyone a session apparently.

I guess my only real question is why do you still go to every event if its such a ripoff? :confused:

Hey Dom, did you get a chance to check out any of the video yet?

assuming you turn 1:14's at GIR... you should be logging 125-135 (6 20 mins sessions)

that same tic at Putnam (i'll use 1:20's) would log you 140-150 (6 20 mins sessions)

thats a 10% variance just based on track alone... no more track time, same comparison.

mileage comparisons dont work on tracks of different speeds. you wanna rack up miles go ride with Randy! haha

Crashes shortening the day cost everyone a session apparently.

I guess my only real question is why do you still go to every event if its such a ripoff? :confused:

Exactly. should be logging 125-130 but never comes close to that, go figure. I never said gateway was a ripoff. Only replying to the guy who said you get plenty of tracktime at gateway and I am disagreeing with him. Am I allowed to do that timmay? If not just tell me and I 'll by all means stop.

I only made it to 2 of the events at gateway this year. In my opinion it's not the greatest in comparison but it is a track, and some tracktime is better than no tracktime. I think I'm also entitled to do that as well whether I particularly care for it or not. But if thats not allowed either let me know and I'll stop that as well.

No point in getting to war of words with anybody over this. You have people who don't care for gateway as a track or how mcra runs the day or both, and you have those who think they do a wonderful job and that you get plenty of tracktime. IN the end who really cares, we all are entitled to our own opinion. So if I'm hurting your feelings by stating somethings that I believe well sorry, cuz I do like you timmay :)

Look, maybe I am a lil hard on the way mcra runs the day, but I don't think there is no denying that some of the things they have been trying to do gets a lil frustrating because the schedule gets soo jacked up. I'm an easy going guy, I think you know that. Sure I get frustrated with mcra but I'm also grateful for what they do or try to do anyway. Because like I said some tracktime is better than none. I know there are many less fortunate people who don't have the time or money to travel like I do to do 12-15 trackdays a year. So I am happy for those people that do get to come to gateway a couple of times a year to experience the track. I would bet though that some of these people who only get to experience gateway and mcra and claim that it's such a great day and ran wonderfully well would have a different tune if they would have been around a little more.

My only real question is why are you always the 1st to stick up for mcra everytime someone has something negative to say about them?

Hey Dom, did you get a chance to check out any of the video yet?

Yeah it looked really good. I'm glad I recorded that last session because I can have a few of the more experienced people take a look on the vidoe at where I am and make suggestions as to where I should be more. Thanks to Steve for being my videographer for Erin and I. When are we going for pizza and beer? Get you out of that house!!!!

My only real question is why are you always the 1st to stick up for mcra everytime someone has something negative to say about them?

cause timmay is a master-debater :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Exactly. should be logging 125-130 but never comes close to that, go figure. I never said gateway was a ripoff. Only replying to the guy who said you get plenty of tracktime at gateway and I am disagreeing with him. Am I allowed to do that timmay? If not just tell me and I 'll by all means stop.

I only made it to 2 of the events at gateway this year. In my opinion it's not the greatest in comparison but it is a track, and some tracktime is better than no tracktime. I think I'm also entitled to do that as well whether I particularly care for it or not. But if thats not allowed either let me know and I'll stop that as well.

No point in getting to war of words with anybody over this. You have people who don't care for gateway as a track or how mcra runs the day or both, and you have those who think they do a wonderful job and that you get plenty of tracktime. IN the end who really cares, we all are entitled to our own opinion. So if I'm hurting your feelings by stating somethings that I believe well sorry, cuz I do like you timmay :)

Look, maybe I am a lil hard on the way mcra runs the day, but I don't think there is no denying that some of the things they have been trying to do gets a lil frustrating because the schedule gets soo jacked up. I'm an easy going guy, I think you know that. Sure I get frustrated with mcra but I'm also grateful for what they do or try to do anyway. Because like I said some tracktime is better than none. I know there are many less fortunate people who don't have the time or money to travel like I do to do 12-15 trackdays a year. So I am happy for those people that do get to come to gateway a couple of times a year to experience the track. I would bet though that some of these people who only get to experience gateway and mcra and claim that it's such a great day and ran wonderfully well would have a different tune if they would have been around a little more.

Wait till you see the schedule next year, I believe you will like it. Bring extra tires

3rd parties that are considering running a local event read what others say and take it for gospel... for the average joe, MCRA offers a great variety, for the few... they arent the best choice. However when youre talking about the difference of I'd like to see the racing and events in the area grow. negative comments that are a bit over the top and are typically not completely accurate (more opinion based than factual) dont lend to positive results.

MCRA liistes to what the riders say and makes adjustments when they can.

I for one, prefer to race here, and have local events. No decent race series goes to putnam, that puts drive time at 5+ hours if we lose gateway... and as recent as 2005... they had lost gateway.

Selfish I know, but it is what it is.

I'm a member, I care about the organization, so I will stand up for them when someone makes comments that are derogatory.

And I love you too sweetheart! :wub:

yes I am a debater... master that is!

In the end who really cares, we all are entitled to our own opinion. So if I'm hurting your feelings by stating somethings that I believe well sorry,

back at ya! Its just opinions

I would bet though that some of these people who only get to experience gateway and mcra and claim that it's such a great day and ran wonderfully well would have a different tune if they would have been around a little more.

I've been around a "while", I think they run a very organized day. I've run with everyone but NESBA...

i know mcra tries very hard ,but they put on an absolutly terrible track day, there should be no racing period at a track day, then there would be time for their try the track and time for adjustments for the occasional misshap, let's have the normal 7-20 minute sessions for the 3 normal classes, and if they must have the waste of time try the track then there would also be time with the early starts, and tom if there is try the track and racing all on the same day as the trackday there is no way they'll have a good schedule with plenty of track time unless they can run a couple hours later, nothing they have tried has worked yet, so why not go with the normal trackday format, if a hand full of guys wanna race go to a real racr and leave us trackday riders alone, again my opinion and in no way trying to influince any new riders, they will get fed up with mcra on their own

nothing they have tried has worked yet

That depends on who you ask

Just like with any business, you cant please eveyone, I'm sure you can appreciate that to some capacity. when your decisions imnpact your ability to run efficiently, you make adjustments.

Drop the try the track program and you limit new rider signup, limit that and you lose entries, lose entries and prices go up, prices go up people bitch, people bitch they stop going, people stop going you dont have to worry about MCRA hosting ANYTHING at GIR. MCRA stops hosting I dont exactly see track day orgs lining up to run GIR events... yeah its a bit extreme but a real possibility. the turnover in this sport is INCREDIBLY high. track days boast a bit more longevity but you must ALWAYS be injectiong new blood into the system or it stalls.

as for the racing, the series brought in sponsors and vendors, sponsors and vendors helped bring in 200+ spectators plus more money... more exposure and more money means more opportunity.

Anyone actually addressed these concerns to any of the board members over at MCRA?

Might be a better place to start...

converstion leads to solutions, but keep the big picture in mind, sometimes you have to step back to see it clearly.

Is everyone finished? :biggrin:

I've read many great ideas and criticisms in this thread. I'm glad someone met the challange to get something motorcycle related going on at gateway. I've had some fun the first 2 years there but not too interested any longer. I guess being local and for the price its a fair deal and you accept you get what you get. One thing is you'll never change the track. They have great covered paddock areas! :thumbsup:

I do commend the MCRA for stepping up to the plate and getting ' something" going on back in STL. It is a lot of time and work that goes unpaid to all that participates in getting up and runnning these functions. Many of us on STLAR knows how this works. :whistling:

I think MCRA has always been trying to change things to appeal to everyone but has a core fucus of racing. To introduce in this area racing only would probably fail. Track day only would probably fail. Track days and introduction to track days most likely are needed for funds to continue and it offers a stepping stone along the way. There are 3 stages of getting into racing and MCRA is looking it seems to provide these blocks.

1. Introduction to the track

2. Getting used to and liking track riding " pulled from the intro sessions"

3. Getting race interest from track day riders " pulled from the track day rider"

I'll bet for most riders without knowing some people personally one would never try the track, become a track day junkie or try their hand at racing. The concept that I see here if I am correct is a good idea.

I think that in STL. if you tried to pull off just one function you probably would fail. One can be the best at one thing or mediocre to several. I know I could be better organized at one function in one event that 3 in one. Maybe I would just need more time and refining of the 3 to have them work in synergy together.

The key in my opinion is keeping the price down or I just assume pay a few more bucks and partake to a better track and a track day only dedicated organization. If I could do a 5-6 session Gateway day for around $100-125.00 bucks I'm sold on it. Then again that may not be enough to cover all the costs and keep a flow of dough in the bank for other future and current business costs that the MCRA takes on.

so....take it for what its worth. We get what we get and thats better than nothing at all. If I get 5-6 decent sessions at gateway for a fair amount less than an out of town track then that is a fun and inexpensive day I could spend with my local friends and contribute to my other friends that race as well.

Can I be considered a race sponsor then and get my name on someone's bike? :biggrin:

Ride on.

you should see the number of people from the worthless try the track that signed up for the next trackday....trust me its not worthless. Every new person that signs up for a trackday keeps the costs down. if you want to have affordable trackdays at gateway, rider/racer attendance needs to continue to climb. Gateway is at a point where they don't need motorcyclist to fill their needs, so they will continue to raise the price every year and that means we, as a club, need to find different avenues to bring in people. With the races we are actually getting sponosors that are giving us $$ that are paying some of the bills. if they wouldn't be there, the trackday riders would be footing the bill for all the things that we have to pay for that you don't see. Then we'd be hearing about how overpriced the trackdays are at Gateway. Look at your overall costs at say going to putnam as opposed to gateway then divide that by how many miles you are getting....I'm sure its a little silly.

there are people in the club that feel the same way you do about the races and try the track...guess what, everything is voted on in our club. if you don't like it show up to a meeting and voice your opinion. The club is run by the members and just like everything else, majority rules. change the majority and you get your way.

Peace :biggrin:

Like I said before wait till next years schedule. we are also looking at hallett again and putnam for next year also so it not only gateway.

And dan is right, If you want to make a change come to a meeting. elections are coming up. get on a committee and voice your ideas

Like I said before wait till next years schedule. we are also looking at hallett again and putnam for next year also so it not only gateway.

And dan is right, If you want to make a change come to a meeting. elections are coming up. get on a committee and voice your ideas

you have mentioned it several times........when do we get to see the 09 schedule?

quit teasing us, homo :biggrin: