freak

helmet law in mo.

Even me Randy? :rolling:

I dont care if its jesus

I could care less if these idiots kill themselves. I will not be the one stopping on the side of the road to help them. With that said if someone shows up to a group ride with no helmet.......... they wont be riding with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may not ride with any of us, but when they crash we pay for them....they become disabled, collect disability etc...on top of the fact that we pay their forever lasting hospital bills.

Not sure when. If they pass it they might as well make it anywhere. Or they could impose an extra tax for licsense fee for those wishing to not wear a helmet.... Give them different color plates so the cops know and use those fees for head trauma

Not sure when. If they pass it they might as well make it anywhere. Or they could impose an extra tax for licsense fee for those wishing to not wear a helmet.... Give them different color plates so the cops know and use those fees for head trauma

I have heard in Texas " Dallas" that you may elect to not wear a helmet if you have insurance proof. That came from a reputable source but not sure how the program works and if really has any value other than a minimum fine.

TRC §661.003.

OFFENSES RELATING TO NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle on a public street or highway; and

(2) is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(B) A person commits an offense if the person carries on a motorcycle on a public street or highway a passenger who is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

© It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (B) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (B) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection.

(d) The department shall issue a sticker to a person who:

(1) is at least 21 years old;

(2) applies to the department on a form provided by the department;

(3) provides the department with evidence satisfactory to the department showing that the person:

(A) is the owner of a motorcycle that is currently registered in this state; and

(B) has successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection © or has the insurance coverage described by that subsection; and

(4) pays a fee of $5 for the sticker.

(e) A person may apply to the department for a sticker for each motorcycle owned by the applicant.

(f) A sticker issued by the department under Subsection (d) expires on the third anniversary of the date of issuance.

(g) A person operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle that displays on the license plate of the motorcycle or the license plate mounting bracket a sticker issued by the department under Subsection (d) is presumed to have successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection © or to have the insurance coverage described by that subsection.

(h) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50.

(i) In this section, "health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

I have heard in Texas " Dallas" that you may elect to not wear a helmet if you have insurance proof. That came from a reputable source but not sure how the program works and if really has any value other than a minimum fine.

TRC §661.003.

OFFENSES RELATING TO NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) operates or rides as a passenger on a motorcycle on a public street or highway; and

(2) is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

(B) A person commits an offense if the person carries on a motorcycle on a public street or highway a passenger who is not wearing protective headgear that meets safety standards adopted by the department.

© It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (B) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle. A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (B) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection.

(d) The department shall issue a sticker to a person who:

(1) is at least 21 years old;

(2) applies to the department on a form provided by the department;

(3) provides the department with evidence satisfactory to the department showing that the person:

(A) is the owner of a motorcycle that is currently registered in this state; and

(B) has successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection © or has the insurance coverage described by that subsection; and

(4) pays a fee of $5 for the sticker.

(e) A person may apply to the department for a sticker for each motorcycle owned by the applicant.

(f) A sticker issued by the department under Subsection (d) expires on the third anniversary of the date of issuance.

(g) A person operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle that displays on the license plate of the motorcycle or the license plate mounting bracket a sticker issued by the department under Subsection (d) is presumed to have successfully completed the training and safety course described by Subsection © or to have the insurance coverage described by that subsection.

(h) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $10 or more than $50.

(i) In this section, "health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.

Florida is the same way..its health insurance that they ask for when they pull you over if your not wearing a lid.

You all may or may not be interested in this, but i presented this resolution at a national convention for nurses. Sad thing is is that it barely passed! But it passed...Here's the resolution I presented:

TOPIC: IN SUPPORT OF ADVOCATING THE USE OF A HELMET FOR ANY

PERSON OPERATING OR RIDING A MOTORCYCLE ON PUBLIC

ROADWAYS

SUBMITTED BY: Mineral Area College Student Nurses Association, Park Hills, MO

WHEREAS, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there

were 4,810 motorcycle fatalities in 2006, with 1,527 of that total being under the age

of 30; and

WHEREAS, motorcyclist fatalities have steadily increased as motorcycle registrations have

climbed 51% between 2000 and 2005, with more than 1.1 million motorcycles being

sold in 2006 in part because of the higher fuel costs; and

WHEREAS, the NHTSA estimated that helmets saved the lives of 1,658 motorcyclists in 2006 and

an additional 752 more lives could have been saved if those riders were wearing

helmets; and

WHEREAS, “the risk of fatal injury in a crash doubles when motorcycle riders do not wear a

helmet”; and

WHEREAS, “only 20 states (and the District of Columbia) require [all] riders to wear a helmet.

Another 27 states have partial laws that [only] require either minors or passengers

to wear a helmet and three states do not have any helmet requirements at all”; and

WHEREAS, “Non-helmeted motorcyclists have worse outcomes than their helmeted

counterparts independent of the use of alcohol or drugs. Furthermore, they

monopolize more hospital resources, incur higher hospital charges, and as nonhelmeted

motorcyclists frequently do not have insurance, reimbursement in this

group of patients is poor. Thus, the burden of caring for these patients is

transmitted to society as a whole”; therefore be it

RESOLVED, that the National Student Nurses’ Association (NSNA) support state helmet laws

requiring all persons operating or riding a motorcycle on public roadways to wear a

helmet; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the NSNA encourage its constituents to educate the public about the possible

consequences of not wearing a helmet when operating or riding a motorcycle, such as

permanent brain damage or death; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the NSNA encourage its constituents to raise public awareness about this issue

by publishing articles in Imprint, if feasible; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the NSNA send copies of this resolution to the American Medical Association,

the American Nurses Association, the National League for Nursing, the American

Association of Colleges of Nursing, the National Organization for Associate Degree

Nursing, the American Trauma Society, the American Motorcycle Association, the

Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, the Brain Injury

Association, the Emergency Nurses Association, the American College of

Emergency Physicians, the American Association of State Highway and

Transportation Officials, the Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, the

Motorcycle Industry Council, the National Association of County and City Health

Officials, the National Association of

Public Hospitals and Health Systems, the National Association of State Emergency

Medical Services Directors, the National Association of State Head Injury

Administrators, the Air and Surface Transport Nurses Association, and any other

organizations deemed appropriate by the NSNA Board of Directors.

The helmet law for bikers is like seat belt law for cars. I will always support mandatory helmet laws to protect those who are too dumb to protect themselves.

It is important to remember not all motorcycle crashes are the result of the rider's skills or lack thereof. How many times have you had a car pull out in front of you, make an illegal U-turn, forget to signal and take your lane ect...... All of these "accidents" are out of your control, but a helmet could save your life!

Take away the helmet laws. I could care less if dumb asses kill themselves. That just means fewer dumb asses on the next ride :twocents:

It's going to the Governor Linky

I like this comment

Harold Eastman May 1, 2009 6:09AM CST

Since many people here seem to believe that it is their individual liberty to be either unrestrained in a car or unhelmeted on a motorcycle and that government is meddling in that liberty, I would amend my previous statement to include my belief that your insurance company has the right to terminate your insurance coverage for riding without a helmet or driving unrestrained.I also believe that ambulance districts,fire districts, and law enforcement agencies should have the right to bill you directly for the resources you consume and that you (or more accurately your estate) be liable for any morbidity or mortality resulting in those services not being available for someone else during the period they are working on you. How's that work? While they are trying to salvage you, they are unavailable for others. If someone has a heart attack or gets their hair stuck in a lawnmower (their unalienable right, according to this logic) while they are committed to gluing your head back together again, they get to sue you or your estate when you don't survive for any death or damages caused by not having an ambulance or responders near by. Since Missouri government is too stupid or unqualified to intervene, or just bedazzled by the tip to the Cayman Islands the motorcycle lobby served up for them, let's leave it up to that wonderful Missouri libertarianism to allow the insurance companies, the responders, and those who needed them but were delayed access because of you to impose their own little piece of justice on you. And, don't go putting any crosses (or Stars of David or cresents) in front of my house. There's enough on the street already.

Helmets save lives, even those too stupid to deserve one.

Anyone know if helmets are required by law for MO bicycle riders? Wouldn't that be a little hypocritical.

And yes I am a helmet nazi, I've gone through 3 bicycle helmets alone in the last 2 years, couldn't imagine smacking pavement above 25 mph without one considering how much damage the under 25mph crashes did. I think some may remember a pic or two I posted. :crossbonesgif:

Anyone know if helmets are required by law for MO bicycle riders? Wouldn't that be a little hypocritical.

In St. Louis County there are for children, but I haven't heard of the law being enforced.

Under 18 must wear a bicycle helmet. They do not enforce this law. I put more than 100 miles per week on my bike and most kids I see riding do not wear helmets. I always wear one. A good bicycle helmet actually cost more than most entry to mid level mototcycle helmets.

Yep $200+ for my Giros, the nice thing is they have a crash discount, if you send them your broken lid they drop something like 20% off the new helmet. I always keep mine just in case the jury needs to see them :whistling:

Knocking on wood.......I haven't used a helmet for it intended purpose in 20+ years.

I used to live in a state were I had a choice to wear a helmet or not.....I prefer living in MO were I don't have a choice and don't want them to change the law!

When you have a choice and you are just riding down to get a pack of smokes or something, it is convienient to not put it on....if you are not planning on going fast....but you never know when someone will pull out in front of you.....if you don't have a choice whether to wear it or not, you are alway prepared for the cager that is talking on the cell phone, reading the newspaper, eating breakfast, bitching at the kids, and spaking the monkey while driving and not seeing you. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

IMO, I think that they should make the law even stronger and force everyone to wear full face SNELL approved helmets, but that is just my opinion........

Problem with changing the certification is that Snell is not necessarily any better than DOT, and can actually be worse for many common accidents.