Gixxer6Drake

Accident on Olive in Creve Coeur 3/16/10

Anybody know anything about the accident on Olive in Creve Coeur this morning? I know it involved a motorcycle, and it shut down traffic in both directions between Craig and Mason. Hopefully it wasn't anyone on the board. Anyone know of any injuries or how it happened? Hate to hear about bike accidents.

Looks like the rider was killed :( The photos show it was a cruiser and an older Corolla:

KSDK -- A motorcyclist was killed Tuesday morning in Creve Coeur when the bike collided with a car.

It happened at Craig and Olive before 7:00 a.m.

Creve Coeur police have said little about the crash so far and have not hinted as to how it may have happened.

An older model car with severe front-end damage was being examined by investigators when our photographer arrived at the scene.

We hope to have an update on this story later this morning.

They mentioned it on the radio while I was driving to work. No details...I'll have to keep an eye on the news tonight.

RIP

This happend very close to my work. That intersection is very busy and I avoid it in the morning by taking page instead of olive to get to work. Sad to hear this. RIP fellow motorcyclist.

ughh....It always seems like our biggest danger is NOT going fast on the street. Its roads like Olive and Manchester rd where people just dont look or even care about motorcycles. I can clearly remember multiple times where people have pulled out in front of me or almost side swiped me. To be honest, I am glad that my exhaust is very loud. At least if they dont SEE me, maybe they will HEAR me and look first.

Man that sucks. Thank god Creve Couer put up that new red light camera at Olive and Ballas. That's sure to solve the problems. :BangHead: ....... yeah right.

We obviously don't know how or what happened, but when the hell are the police and government going to learn that people need to pay more attention and be aware of their surroundings? EVERY DAY I have to avoid nimrods not paying attention or doing stupid crap and that's while I'm driving the car, much less on the bike. Police should stop worrying so much about speeders and start writing tickets for idiotic driving. On the other hand, if red light cameras and speeding tickets are about revenue instead of safety, well............ :crazy:

Anyways, sorry for jumping on a soapbox. The new red light camera at that intersection and knowing Creve Couer made over $1 million so far off them kinda pisses me off.

Sorry to hear a rider lost his life----no matter what happened. RIP. My prayers to the family. Everyone stay save and always be on the lookout!

Post Dispatch Story

'Distracted' car driver blamed in motorcyclist's death

By Kim Bell

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

03/16/2010

CREVE COEUR -- A motorcyclist was killed this morning, and the driver of the car that hit him has been arrested.

Creve Coeur Police Capt. George Hodak said the 20-year-old woman driving the car was clearly distracted in the 5:43 a.m. crash. She has been arrested. Routine tests are being performed to see if she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time.

The motorcyclist was a man on his way to work, "just minding his own business," Hodak said.

The St. Louis County medical examiner's office identified the victim as David Null, 26, of St. Louis County.

Hodak said the crash happened while the motorcycle and car were both going east on Olive Boulevard, near Craig Road.

The passenger car lost control, hit the motorcycle and knocked the man off, Hodak said.

Two people were riding in the car with her. One was still being evaluated at a hospital. Hodak said the injuries weren't serious.

Hodak said he expects to release more details later in the day, including any charges that might be filed against the woman.

Post Dispatch Story

'Distracted' car driver blamed in motorcyclist's death

By Kim Bell

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

03/16/2010

CREVE COEUR -- A motorcyclist was killed this morning, and the driver of the car that hit him has been arrested.

Creve Coeur Police Capt. George Hodak said the 20-year-old woman driving the car was clearly distracted in the 5:43 a.m. crash. She has been arrested. Routine tests are being performed to see if she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time.

The motorcyclist was a man on his way to work, "just minding his own business," Hodak said.

The St. Louis County medical examiner's office identified the victim as David Null, 26, of St. Louis County.

Hodak said the crash happened while the motorcycle and car were both going east on Olive Boulevard, near Craig Road.

The passenger car lost control, hit the motorcycle and knocked the man off, Hodak said.

Two people were riding in the car with her. One was still being evaluated at a hospital. Hodak said the injuries weren't serious.

Hodak said he expects to release more details later in the day, including any charges that might be filed against the woman.

one more reminder to ride like everyone is out to get you...RIP

I saw this comment on the story on Fox 2's site :(

This man has a wife who is 7 months pregnant with their 2nd child.

Riding your bike to work is not a great idea. :twocents:

I disagree. The only way to get these people too notice is by having more of us out there. Their minds might actually start seeing us. Besides, giving up riding, even if it's just one type of riding, is just letting 'them' win.

Ugh....it's def. riding season. We are an easy target. Wearing super bright stuff helps. Ross is visable miles away :)

I hope they make her pay.

Damnt they don't play enough of the dead body videos in drivers ed or consentrate on defensive driving. I think the defensive driving class should be required to get you license.

Seat belts are always an issue to. People will be hardheaded and learn the hard way. It just sucks that this was at the cost of another persons life.

RIP rider and I hope his family can survive this with strength and dignity. My prayers are with them.

What a very sad situation for this man and his family....

Based upon my personal experience, the insurance company/the lawyer representing the lady responsible for this tragedy will turn it all around such that it's the motorcycle rider's fault, the intersection's fault, etc....

RIP, fellow brother/rider

DrJ

just saw this on the news. Said the driver was high on something.

Glad to see/hear it wasn't one of y'all...

Ya - they're charging her w/ vehicular manslaughter, 2nd degree assault and posession of marijuana. She bounced off a light post and hit the bike.

This is less than a mile from my apartment. I actually walked outside to go to work not even minutes after the accident, heard the police and fire trucks leaving the station, but i had no idea what happened. That route towards the city on olive is a route i normally take early in the mornings, but i'm at work by 6am, and if i'm taking that route, i have to be out of the place by 5:15 at the latest to make it to work on time, all other times i take the highway...It's a bad way to start the riding season, everyone be safe out there...

RIP...but I have to say I agree with the person that says riding to work is not a good idea. I work on Scott AFB, the traffic to the gate and through the multiple intersections to get to base is crazy in the mornings. I get in at 0630 most days...but if I am late 15 mins or so the traffic issue compounds. I just don't feel safe amongst the cars with folks on their phones, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, doing hair/makeup or simply not completely awake yet. And to get on base you have to wear high visibility clothing.

I like to ride in groups...2 or more bikes are a lot more visible than one. The simple fact one bike doesn't take up a lane tempts drivers share our lane, etc.

gal ive been dating is a detective in CC... should be more info released but yeah, multiple drugs and a phone call involved, what a shame.

RIP David.

It is truly sad............

Young guy, I feel horrible for his family. The driver (female) was a young 20 yr old gal, I feel sorry for her as well. I can not imagine the burden she will carry for the rest of her life. If she has a sole, it will be a tough ride.

As some may have picked up on, I work in LE. I know this young man was a new rider and on a permit. I can not stress enough the importance of having a MSF class! That is all I will say about that.

Let's pray for both families.

Be safe out there!!!

That was cute...It's on my facebook page now :)

Me too! Thanks Ross, good add.