JHAMMON

Gateway Aug 14th

Signed up for intermediate again. I have race tires this time, so we will see what kind of difference they make. I hope to get my times down to the 15's range.

Seeing the talk of suspension reminds me I still need to do a few test runs around a parking lot with the track bike so I can get my preload, compression, & rebound dialed in as well. Those new Race Tech springs on my street bike feel yummy but I can't way to get my feet wet with my DMG forks! Here's a quick overview of suspension explanation article. Its not my article & it will NOT make you an expert but its a decent starting point for any newer riders wondering how to adjust their suspension. Believe us when we say it makes a world of difference!

Basic suspension set up

Do they usually have somneone there at the track that sets up suspension?

Do they usually have somneone there at the track that sets up suspension?

I don't know of anyone as far as business wise that walks around and charges suspension setup fees but I do know there are people who will have advice and knowledge to assist you. But you might want to try and get it set up prior to the track day. I've been in discussion with a couple of people to have a track prep session prior to the even much like we had at Chris (Buddy)'s house a couple months back. I'm even thinking about offering up my driveway if people are willing to make the trek out to Caseyville on the Monday or Tuesday prior. But, I can tell you that having your suspension set up by a professional mechanic is always a sure-fire method. Many of us know what our settings on our suspension is for different terrain/riding style and make adjustments as needed. That only comes from experience with the bike/suspension adjustments. Again, you can never go wrong consulting with a professional mechanic.

I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in before hand then.

I think Jay (BMR_Rider) and maybe James (JHAMMON) paid $30 at the last GIR trackday to have their suspensions set up. I remember Jay rolling back to the pit saying he was $30 lighter. :)

There has been a track day prep session posted. Its a great opportunity for newer riders to learn "hands-on" whats required to take your bike onto the track. Plus its a great chance to swap fluids in the presence of others. :huh:

Track day prep session

Whether you have a mechanic set up your suspension for you or you set it up following a guideline, pay close attention to how the changes affect your handling so that you can make adjustments as needed. Its great to have the guidance of a mechanic. Its a plus if you know how to continue to fine-tune those adjustments, depending on your riding needs. Theres more to it than simply having it set up once. :thumbsup:

Dom is 100% correct!!! taking the time makes it a world of difference.Thats why I put the shock on now because it gives me two wks to mess and tech it. and after the first time out it feels strange to the suspension tech I go to ask questions.. But I thinks the per track setup in the driveway is a good Idea.. and it could be fun to help each other! :thumbsup:

I have no doubt that my suspension is way too stiff, so I'll try to make the prep session, even if it's just to meet people. if not hopefully the suspension person is at the track that day.

Early registration ends tonight. Save the $40 and register now.

heres what i have found through my years of racing and doing trackdays. every suspension guy that i have taken my bike to has set it up with a differnet feel. Now with that being said so have been good and some have been bad for MY RIDING STYLE. your rindig style is going to also play apart in how that bike feels to you. I have become pretty good at getting it very close on setup and have had no complaints, but i would suddgest getting a little knowledge in the area so after setup if you need to make adjustment you know what to do, and alway have a note book to right down what you did in case you need to change it back. If you are on stock suspension you will never get it prefect, the adjustment just isnt there. if you change fork seals or spring you have to start all over again. even if it just seals you most likely are going to have a differnt fluid level which will effect how it works. I will help anyone who needs it and if anyone wants a crash sheet on what to change in different senerio`s i can make a copy of my sheet

heres the sheets i use to determine what adjustments to do after the intial setup is done.I upload them so you can print them out and keep them with your trackday stuff

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2117944/fr...25-am-624k?da=y

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2117945/re...25-am-495k?da=y

:handclap: Phenomenal information Tom! I'm thinking we should sticky some of this info. It irks me that so much attention is given to all the add ons people obsess over when they first get their bike, (pipes, sprockets, cool stickers, etc) but little attention is given to adjusting what they have. And I was just as at fault at this when I first started riding as many young riders are. At the time, I didn't know where to go to find out information like that and even worse, I didn't know anyone gave much of a damn about their bike other than what cool LEDs they were going to install. :icon_rofl: For me now everything seems to center around suspension, brakes, & tires. But that was after I learned more about how the different systems on the motorcycle perform. The engine will carry you all day long but providing and maintaining the support elements are what makes it all come together!

Hope everyone that wants to go on the 14th is registered. If not, do it though you might be $40 lighter!

I'll be there as long as my wife remembers to let me have the truck :confused:

I'll be there as long as my wife remembers to let me have the truck :confused:

huh...well if you need to get your bike there i could take it for ya.

pre registered for amateur gt and sportsman class can't wait

most of you probably read or heard about gateway not promoting the nascar events next year. so with that being said agteway will most likely close the oval track all together which means no road course either. so this could very well be the last year at gateway. if you wannna ride gateway i would do it this year.

most of you probably read or heard about gateway not promoting the nascar events next year. so with that being said agteway will most likely close the oval track all together which means no road course either. so this could very well be the last year at gateway. if you wannna ride gateway i would do it this year.

Whatchu talkin bout?

I must say that that would suck ballz.

Oh, man. I have been trying to bury my head in the sand on that one and focus on the 14th.

Just got the bike all done, Everything that needed to be saftey wired has been done, Now to look at the bike sit in the garage for the next week :(

I'l be there control riding in novice class and riding in expert class. Can't wait! Gonna be a great day!. Toms right, gateway might not be around next year(probably won't be around next year) so better get the word out and let everyone have there last chance to have a home trackday.

Me and Kathy will be there for this one but; probably won't ride? We will bring food and drinks for people and may be talked into bringing an Ezy-up ride or not. So how is the food prep + need list doing?