Sign in to follow this  
firefighter2486

dealership complaint

i had a clutch replaced by jmp cycles in wood river. my cable broke 4 months later so i had midwest replace cable. midwest said i had no freeplay left in clutch. i told midwest that it was only 4 months old and less then 1000 miles. mmidwest said that either the internal clutch rod was out of adjustment or the clutch stack was no right. i took info back to jmp and they will no stand behind their work. i filed a complaint with the BBB. stay away from jmp cycles!!!!

Interesting. I'll check into this right now for you. It seems a little out of character compared to the experiences I've had with JMP.

Hey Tony, it sounds like maybe you left a few details out of your story?

Well, I've heard the other side of the story which is how I know a few details have been left out. :)

I am very curious to hear the other side of the story...

If I was to take a bike in for a new clutch to shop A and shop A replaced the clutch, I would expect the clutch to be good for 10's of thousands of miles of normal use.

Curious, how many miles were on the original clutch?

how is the bike used? normal back roads and commuting?

lower horsepower machine that requires reving the engine to pop wheelies or smoke the tires?

less experienced rider that is not used to manual transmissions with excessive sliding of the clutch for take offs?

drag racing?

Seems to me that the cable was going bad before the clutch itself was replaced. If the cable couldnt allow the clutch pack to fully engage, it would slip, lose friction material, and internal free play.

A bad cable can damage a new clutch, but a clutch cant damage the cable.

Seems to me that the cable was going bad before the clutch itself was replaced. If the cable couldnt allow the clutch pack to fully engage, it would slip, lose friction material, and internal free play.

A bad cable can damage a new clutch, but a clutch cant damage the cable.

But wouldn't a good mechanic check the cable when replacing a worn out clutch?

Yes, you just dont replace the clutch, you inspect the system as well. But...

Many times the cable may look good, hold it's adjustment, then, out of nowhere, it begins to fray inside its conduit where you cant see damage.

Depending on circumstances, and especially considering how inexpensive a clutch cable is compared to a clutch pack replacement, it's not unreasonable to replace the clutch cable at the same time.

Okay, here are the facts as I understand them and Tony please correct me if I am wrong about any of them:

1) JMP is a small Kawasaki dealership in Wood River. They also sell used bikes that have been traded in, picked up at auctions, or on consignment. I understand your bike was picked up at an auction. This doesn't really have any relevance other than to give you some idea of the dealership in question.

2) Tony bought a used Suzuki M109 from JMP. I forget the year, was it an '08 Tony?

3) The bike was sold "as is" with no warranty.

4) Shortly after Tony bought the bike he had clutch trouble and brought it back to JMP.

5) JMP agreed to put in a clutch and pay for half just because it was the right thing to do

6) About 6 months after the bike was purchased and the clutch was installed the clutch cable broke.

7) Tony took the bike to Midwest Motorsports to have them replace the cable and I assume the conversation Tony had with them about the clutch that he describes is true. I don't know for sure though as I have not yet talked to anyone at Midwest Motorsports to verify. However, I will assume what he says is true.

8) Tony now goes back to JMP and complains about the clutch and wants JMP to pay for the work that Midwest Motorsports did to the bike even though JMP had no idea Tony was having any of this trouble until after the fact.

9) Tony got upset that JMP would not pay for the work that Midwest Motorsports did to the bike so he came here and complained and apparently reported JMP to the BBB.

Tony, again, please correct me if any of this is incorrect. For the record, I do not work for JMP or get paid by JMP for anything. I am just a satisfied customer of theirs and do a lot of business with them and know every person there pretty well. I also understand, but have not verified that in this particular Suzuki model and year the clutch is a problem, not quite enough of a problem for Suzuki to issue a recall (yet) but it is known for having problems, which is likely why the clutch went out on an '08 motorcycle in the first place, and quite possibly the reason for it having a problem after the replacement. Again, I did not research to verify how much of a problem these clutches really are but I might do that later tonight.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I forgot #10:

10) The sales guy is an ass hole, there is no denying that fact. :)

This guy is a troll. Creates account, posts some unverifiable bs lambasting someone and leaves never to return. Meanwhile we are left in a state of confusion. F this guy. Case closed.

Golden-Internet-Troll-Award.jpg

• Upvote 1