mangosmoothie

Operation speedy

So here's why it died

20140624_183514_zps5a5ca366.jpg?t=140371

The earth plug (ground plug) gave up on life. SpeedDMD and I rigged up a new ground block with a wire going to the negative terminal. Bike fired up and ran well. I was putting the plastics back on and the lowbeam headlight and highbeam indicator came on. The key wasn't even in the ignition. So that was weird. We figured we wired it wrong. So we undid the wiring, searched a lot more, tried some different things, no dice. We went back to how we had it and turns out a relay was sticking. Gave it a few taps and the lights turned off. Now they turn on and off with the key, like they should. Turn signals, horn, starter button, temp gauge, starter button all work now. The only problem now is I can't hear the fuel pump priming. The battery is very very weak so I'm not sure if that's the reason the pump isn't priming? We put it on the charger and we'll try to start it later today or tomorrow I guess. Hopefully the fuel pump primes once there's some juice in the battery. The battery had enough juice to crank for maybe 1 second very very slowly.

YES!!! Khaled said it started after it charged for a little bit!!! Huge shout out to Road Runner for rescuing the bike from bum f*** Missouri, Kirk and Brandi for giving me a ride back, and Khaled for helping me fix it and giving me a place for us to work on it. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people.

• Upvote 6

Glad to hear you guys got it figured out! Where was that plug located?

It was on top of the battery. It had a blue cover over it. Khaled noticed in the far corner there were burn marks. After I pried the blue cover off I found that. Not sure if it was water related or not. He also fixed my front brake. It didn't grab til the lever was squeezed in halfway. He put a bungee cord around the brake and handlebar overnight. When I came back today it was much much better.We're taking it on a test ride Saturday to watch the guys race. Hopefully all goes well. We never heard the fuel pump prime but since the bike started, we assume it must be working.

• Upvote 2

That is awesome Mangs glad you got it sorted make sure your Dad knows what was up with it k.

It was on top of the battery. It had a blue cover over it. Khaled noticed in the far corner there were burn marks. After I pried the blue cover off I found that. Not sure if it was water related or not. He also fixed my front brake. It didn't grab til the lever was squeezed in halfway. He put a bungee cord around the brake and handlebar overnight. When I came back today it was much much better.We're taking it on a test ride Saturday to watch the guys race. Hopefully all goes well. We never heard the fuel pump prime but since the bike started, we assume it must be working.

The ground blocks were a problem on early T5 models. They would sometimes overheat and damage the connectors within the plastic connector.

As for the brakes. You might consider cleaning the front brake pistons. Some times the pistons get gunked up and the seals don't slide over the pistons, more flex, then return to position when you let off the brake. Giving the sensation of mushy, or long travel at the lever. The bungee cord treatment will also releave it for a while. They finally changed the coating on the pistons about the 2nd year of the 675 Daytona. Yes, same piston diameter, and caliper internal design.

I don't get the full British experience until I chase electrical gremlins and have problems with oil disappearing. Good news is CycleGear wants to talk to me about available opportunities. So that means I can make money, get discounts on things I need, and get this bike road worthy!!!

• Upvote 2

Oh and is your rear tire still loosing air? Something else to diagnose before the next ride.

Just squirt some soapy water all over it. You'll find the problem. Make sure to squirt some on the valve stem as well.

• Upvote 2

The tires are from '09. I should replace them. But I spent all my money on something European with no money left in reserve for repairs. Whoops. Hopefully I get this job....

I have several stacks of race take-offs with plenty of tread left in the center. Problem is you'll probably want to use the sides too. :)

Also, I have one of those Q2 rears left you could take and pay me whenever you get the money. I will give you the same deal I got on it (100 bucks). It's brand new with the sticker still on it. I can probably find a front with some decent life in it as well from the pile.

Who uses the sides of tires... pfft...

I'm glad it was not too difficult to sort out. The only issue I am concerned about is the aftermarket tail light and the way it is wired. That may be doing something to the relay.. not sure. We will find out tonight.

Also, I have one of those Q2 rears left you could take and pay me whenever you get the money. I will give you the same deal I got on it (100 bucks). It's brand new with the sticker still on it. I can probably find a front with some decent life in it as well from the pile.

I didn't think of it, but I have a half used set that I offered RR but we never got together so he can take it. If RR doesn't want them, you can have them. The 190 rear should fit it since OEM was 190.

Hang on to them for now!

I'm gonna have to start charging a storage fee :) LOL

Just kidding, they are fine whenever you come over you can take them.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure we'll figure something out for the tires. Does anyone know how to ensure a battery is dead vs a drain somewhere? On Tuesday, the bike fired up fine. Battery didn't seem weak or anything. Then we had our electrical issues with the headlights staying on, we undid the ground plug, tried some different stuff, and had to call it a night. The battery was connected to the positive end but I disconnected everything from the negative terminal. Then on Wednesday, after we got everything back together, turning the key did absolutely nothing. The battery read like 1 volt. It was completely dead. We're kind of confused how a seemingly good battery dropped to one volt across the terminals overnight. Is the best thing to do have the battery load tested at like autozone?

Took a ride yesterday and all looks good on Casey's bike. We shall see if the battery drain is an issue tomorrow.

humn... interesting, if you need my help looking you know where to find me.

Tried to replace the fuel connectors and that's what happened. One of them came out perfectly. The other broke flush inside the threads.

P1010030.jpg

I had to take the plate to the Donelsons so they could clean out the threads. Thread pitch is 1/4" BSPT so there are no taps I could go buy. It's also tapered which makes it real tough to get out.

Oh well. Donelson said they've dealt with it before and not to worry. I have nice brass fittings on the way so I won't ever deal with this again. I also got new fuel lines (made to handle 250psi) new hose clamps and new o rings for these male connectors.

fuel008-vi.jpg

All I have to say is it better not leak when I get it back together.

As much as I want one I dont know if I can get a triumph from reading all of this. Let me know if you need any help.

• Upvote 2