MaximumJEFF

St. Joe this Saturday

My goal is to bring everyone on a 4-stroke over to the 2-stroke world.

I never left the 2-stroke world. ;)

• Upvote 1

Then you better not get a dirt bike. Or at least not ever ride it. :)

• Upvote 1

There is a lots of variable that goes into a 2 stroke if you intend to use it much, everytime I thought I had it something always went way wrong.

Very very first experiance on my DT was burning a hole in the piston. I had never seen it done before till I did it. Change one thing you got to change everytrhing else to match or else. Once you learn it you are like "I got this".

I bet owning a dirt bike makes you that much more confident working on your other vehicles.

On a 2-stroke dirt bike, unless it's old and worn out (like mine) really the most you need to do occasionally is throw a new top end (piston and rings) in it, and maybe some linkage/swingarm bearings every few years. But if you're not motocross racing regularly going for podiums you can easily go several years without doing one. Changing out a piston and rings on my 2-stroke is about as easy as it gets. Just drain the coolant, pull the pipe off (2 springs and 2 small bolts), the seat (2 bolts) and gas tank (2 bolts), pull the spark plug out, remove 6 nuts hold the head on and 4 nuts hold the cylinder on, remove the circlip on the wrist pin and pull the wrist pin out and the piston is off. If you've done it once or twice before we're talking literally 15 minutes total. No valves to mess with/adjust on a 2-stroke although I do like to pull my power valve out and clean up all the carbon as well when I have the cylinder off, and you should take a little time to clean all the old gasket material off nice and clean and clean the carbon off the head (which is tiny).

On the DT did not do nothing but remove the pipe even.

There is nothing that will make you feel like a biker more than taking a four stroke apart and looking at all the parts spread out on your garage floor. If you like a lightweight bike that is cheap and easy to rebuild and tons of fun, go with a two stroke. If you wanna be a REAL biker, just remember that a little extra weight and complicated maintenance never stopped the Hells Angels from running Harleys from the 50's

There is nothing that will make you feel like a biker more than taking a four stroke apart and looking at all the parts spread out on your garage floor. If you like a lightweight bike that is cheap and easy to rebuild and tons of fun, go with a two stroke. If you wanna be a REAL biker, just remember that a little extra weight and complicated maintenance never stopped the Hells Angels from running Harleys from the 50's

That's what I want ; a Harley dirt bike with a trailer ?

A little tongue in cheek. I really like the low end grunt of my 450 4t but I was very impressed with the power to weight on J's 300 2t.

Now Ryan, I am going to reference your own video you posted in regard to 2t vs 4t. You need to pause the video at :51 seconds and read statistics. They don't lie.

BTW if I had any video skills we would make our own video of 2t vs 4t. It would be a blast.

4 stroke 4 ever !

Can someone request an unlike button?

• Upvote 3

Now Ryan, I am going to reference your own video you posted in regard to 2t vs 4t. You need to pause the video at :51 seconds and read statistics. They don't lie.

BTW if I had any video skills we would make our own video of 2t vs 4t. It would be a blast.

You make a strong point, but it does say that the majority ride KTM :o

That vid would be halarious. At least to those making it.

• Upvote 1

The video statics could be right. I ride a KTM 450exc and I did attend the Madonna concert. LOL

• Upvote 4

I'm in on the competition video, and I'm old! :)

• Upvote 1

My main problem with the mud and sloppy stuff is my tires. I am still burning off the stock dual sport tires for a few more miles and then i will try a set with some more aggressive knobs and see how they do. My current tires are only good for pavement, dry hard dirt, and rocks. Riding in any other conditions has repeatedly proven to put me on my ass, or more accurately my rib cage on numerous occasions.

i will be a little braver when i get some new rubber :)

post-236-0-63977500-1426092830_thumb.jpg

My next set of tires just arrived. I think they will give me more confidence and traction than what i am riding on now. I still will have a few more rides on my current tires before i switch them out though.

• Upvote 2

I like Kenda tires.

@$110 for the pair, they are worth trying. I expect them to wear quickly, so we will see how long they last.

Only used Kenda on 2 occasions one was on an old bike that had old tires on it and they held up even rotted and a new set that did not hold up too well on street use, but longer than I ever expected.

• Upvote 1