Franzie

Erm.. shouldn't these pads be the same?

I have Webster's dictionary. I was referring to what is a better value to the owner or customer. What is the benefit of OEM vs aftermarket or vise- verse. For some lowest price is the key factor, for some keeping their machine in as-new spec is the goal. Others, selling a bike and investing as little as possible dictates their choice. Or riding conditions outside of what the manufacturer designs are may require other choices. Point is "better" means different things to different riders.

I have Webster's dictionary. I was referring to what is a better value to the owner or customer. What is the benefit of OEM vs aftermarket or vise- verse. For some lowest price is the key factor, for some keeping their machine in as-new spec is the goal. Others, selling a bike and investing as little as possible dictates their choice. Or riding conditions outside of what the manufacturer designs are may require other choices. Point is "better" means different things to different riders.

I have to disagree with you Terry. OEM is not always the best because manufacturers make products that fit into a budget for said product and sometimes it's not the 'best' for the product overall. I am sure you know of certain bikes that were made certain years that had a handling problem that was cured with an aftermarket replacement product or had an electrical issue that was fixed using an aftermarket product. So, sometimes, yes, an aftermarket product is leaps and bounds above the OEM stuff.

I never said OEM is best in every application. I said it is what I use as a first choice. At times depending on my purpose I use aftermarket too. Re read my previous post.

"One of the reasons I use oem parts as much as possible.

They fit, they work, and you know what youre getting."

So, if the bike manufacturer used shitty pads, they do fit, they "work', but they will suck.

"OEM is my 1st choice, not my "when in doubt" option."

Sorry, but that sounds like most alternatives are out 99% of the time, right?

"...., for some keeping their machine in as-new spec is the goal."

Again, same as-new spec - May not be the best in some situations where the manufacturer, out of cheapness or greed or just poor testing, did not use a solid part.

From your posts, I thought you meant, OEM was first choice. Oh, wait, YOU DID. My bad.

Yes it is my first choice on my vehicles. If not available or beyond what I am willing to spend I use what I consider the next best alternative. And since I've never experienced shitty pads from the OEM manufacturer, why would I consider anything else?

When I experienced ignition coil failure with my CB750 the TEK coils from Honda were $110ea X 2. Those were my 1st choice. But...TEK coils of that era were notorious for failures, as were the caps and rotors in Accords and Civics. I went with 2 EMGO replacement coils for $35 ea, they fit(some engineering required) and they work well..for now.If those fail I'll use the Honda units.

The DID chain in my ZRX cost twice as much from Kawasaki as they do aftermarket DID ZVM50. So, for half the price I have the exact same chain as I would have paid double for from Kaw.

I dont buy tires from the bike manufacturer, as they would cost twice from parts houses. When asked why tires are even carried in the manufactuers parts catalogs I was told, by a Kaw rep, that they do that for warranty purposes, and that the bike manufacturers dont want to be in the motorcycle tire business.

So YES--I do consider oem as a 1st choice, but I also consider alternatives depending on the particular situation.

SPEED--have you personally experienced "shitty pads" from the oem?

I base my statement on the fact that I have owned cars that I used aftermarket parts to fix problems before the manufacturer issued a recall or a service bulletin. As an example the steering lock on the Vette fails while driving! Manufacturer didn't issue a recall till much later and there was a solution aftermarket. ... Should I wait for a cheap ass manufacturer and let it lock up on the interstate?

I wasn't attacking your experience but the fact that you suggest OEM as first choice and just pointing out that you did In response to your post.

You've been wrenching almost as long as I have been alive so no question you know your shit.

So, did not mean to offend you but you can take it which ever way you like.

• Upvote 1

Khaled, I'm not offended, and I apologize if I offended you.

We all have our own personal experiences to draw from. Doesnt necessarily make them right or wrong, just what we've seen 1sthand.

In your example of the Corvette steering lock, you had a known problem for which the manufacturer offered no real permanent repair at the time. So of course, you do what you have to do.

Todd's example of an $800 brake rotor set would give me a severe wallet cramp, so I'd have to consider a cheaper alternative new or a used set.

In my ignition coil example I could only be out $70 if they didnt last, then would go new Honda oem after that.

The alternator rotor that failed was $380 from Honda, and the one from Rick's Motorsport Electrics was $140, which is what I used.

In your Corvette this was a design/materials issue, my alternator and ignition failures in the 750 were outright electrical shorts.

My 1st choice would have been oem Honda, but it wasnt cost effective for me to do so. These were failures.

Pads, filters, etc are maintenance items, and I just normally go oem there 1st. Countless times at work the aftermarket parts were and still are immediate no-fit or failure problems right out of the box.

Then too, so many times people bring their cars to us with aftermarket parts that either failed or werent even the fix for what was wrong in the 1st place. These people think aftermarket 1st unlike me. Sometimes they learn, sometimes they dont.

Again, just a discussion, not a war of words.

• Upvote 2

No offense at all. You know I highly value your opinion and input and I have tapped into your vast knowledge in the past and surely will in the future.

That's the problem with posts.... can be read in different ways.

To be fair Terry did say in a way that it depends on the individual but all made good points that may help others and that should be one of the goals for the club.

• Upvote 1