throttle demon

redrider67

I don't visit this board much any longer but I signed in this morning and was glad to see the birthday wishes for Mike Brainerd (redrider67). You may remember Mike was having difficulty with his hands,arms and neck that led to him giving up riding. Well Mike has now been diagnosed with a slow progressing form of ALS. He can not use his hands and can not speak, so he can not post on social media at the moment. Mike's wife Kris says he will be getting a special computer that will allow him to speak and I assume post again.

Mike was one of the truly great STLAR members and not many have done as much as Mike to promote this great club. I know he misses it with all his heart. Mike was an amazing back roader, one of STLAR's best ever! When it came to running side by side with both throttles wide open I have never trusted anyone like I trusted Mike. I am honored that most of the paint sand blasted off the front of Ol' pop-n-snarl was blasted off by Mike hard on the gas in front of me. We had the best times together, he is a best friend. I miss him immensely. I also miss Blazing Bob :thumbsup:

While contact with Mike is near impossible at the moment I will bet Kris will sign him on to the board now and then for him to look around, so please share some well wishes and any fond memories you have of riding with him.

I will be in contact with Kris and will find out if there is any thing they need help with and post it up.

Thanks everybody and STLAR forever!! :hail:

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the message Dan! I wish I was around back then so I could have ridden with you and Mike a lot more. I am sure it was a blast!

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the message Dan! I wish I was around back then so I could have ridden with you and Mike a lot more. I am sure it was a blast!

I second that!

• Upvote 3

I came along to STLAR a little after the glory days. But, I did get to go on rides with the both of yah, and I miss it. :(

• Upvote 3

They used to just use me for a human pylon back then but Mike is how I got here. I asked him at Chuck-a-burger one night how I could help out the club with a donation... he said "gimmie twenty-five dollars" I said "ok"... handed him $25.00 and he whipped out this piece of paper that had a bunch of legal ease on it. (we used to have release of liability forms back then)... he said "sign this" ... I did as instructed.... he looked at me and said... we don't order that many XXL's and handed me a black shirt with a red logo on it... whipped out his phone and whoosh... I was member.

I eventually became a director and Mike showed me the ropes. Then he got busy and we lost touch, the occasional phone call and such... but he has always been there in the back of my mind as part of the "good ol' days" when all we did was go out an have fun, everybody, fast, slow, whatever... we just had a good time where-ever we went and Mike was always in the middle of it.

I wish for Mike the best that can be and hope to see him posting again soon.

gallery_39_35_494058_zpsvemzyblk.jpg

FunnySig.gif

• Upvote 3

I have ridden with mike as well, always super friendly to me and pleasant to be around.

one of the first stlar members i met. And as already been said , one hell of a rider.

• Upvote 2

He is a cool guy and when i first rode with the club he always had a welcome smile for me. From what i remember his wheelies were a little better than Paul(Tyrel) :icon_rofl:

• Upvote 3

Chasing him and JJ around, that's how I was able to play with them... every time he got on the gas, smoke would flow out of the exhaust.. that told me it's time to get on it... lol

• Upvote 3

I am not sure if has this info or his veteran's status but Dan could you pass it on.

Veterans and active-duty military personnel with service-connected amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, are now presumed medically eligible for grants up to almost $68,000 to adapt their homes, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2530

site is designed specifically for veterans with ALS, their families and survivors. Here you will learn what benefits are available, how you can apply for benefits, and receive answers to frequently asked questions about the new rules.
http://www.alsa.org/als-care/veterans/

Also.

Veterans are twice as likely to develop ALS
VA recognizes ALS as a presumptive disease with a minimum rating of 100%

https://www.facebook.com/VeteransHealth/photos/a.73949060773.98661.40182150773/10152750837990774/

Cites Association between Military Service and Later Development of ALS
http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1583.

• Upvote 2

Thanks JJ I will pass this on to Kris. I think Mike was in the Navy.

I talked to him today for a little bit via speakerphone with the help of Kris. He is in the hospital in Alton. I will be going to see him later this week after he recovers a bit more from his tracheotomy.

• Upvote 2

Thanks JJ I will pass this on to Kris. I think Mike was in the Navy.

I talked to him today for a little bit via speakerphone with the help of Kris. He is in the hospital in Alton. I will be going to see him later this week after he recovers a bit more from his tracheotomy.

Bite your tongue. :bitchslap: He is a Marine.

• Upvote 2

LOL, not sure it's not something he talked a lot about with me

True enough. And if you really want to get a rise out of a Marine, call the Marines a department of the Navy. Oh, they LOVE that. Make sure your health insurance is current before doing it. lol

• Upvote 2

True enough. And if you really want to get a rise out of a Marine, call the Marines a department of the Navy. Oh, they LOVE that. Make sure your health insurance is current before doing it. lol

I think he was a Sailor, and there is no shame in that. The Navy Seals are also Sailors.

• Upvote 1

I talked to Kris today and they are already working with the VA but his case is still pending. :confused:

The VA has the money but they are a Government office, tell them to contact an organization for Vets. A Org like Am-Vets, American Legion, or maybe the Navy League.

These Organizations deal with the VA on a daily basis, they are usually all veteran run, know the in and outs of the system, and they have lawyers. I used Am-vets years ago to deal with the VA they took care of me in Washington state.

Wikipedia has a decent list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_veterans'_organizations#United_States

• Upvote 4

I visited Mike today and he was in great spirits. What a nasty decease ALS is. I was able to do a pretty good job of reading lips so we had great conversation. What a great friend, I love him! Anyway He really misses STLAR and at least has some great memories of tearing up the back roads. Kris And their son Chase were there, he is so lucky to have a great woman who loves him and a fine young man of a son who looks just like him. I'm just glad I could make him smile for a couple hours.

And he was in the NAVY!

• Upvote 8

Hey guys, anyone have an update on how Mike's doing? I had him on my mind this morning, but I couldn't find much on the board beyond January of this year. (Finally have STLAR unblocked on my work computer after 2+ years, so I'm playing a lot of catch-up.)

Hope everyone's well. Miss riding with yall.

• Upvote 1