Irresponsible_Robot

Austin 2017

147 posts in this topic

Okay kids, I figure* it's time we start planning a trip down to Austin for MotoGP next season! All told, we'll be on the road April 21-24.

Here's the plan:

• Friday, April 21 - We leave bright and early to get to Austin that night (~14 hours on the road. Bring a magazine). The hotel is in Buda, a short half-hour south of Austin.
  • Saturday, April 22 - We get to the track relatively early (sometime before lunch). Explore the track, check out the merchandise, watch practice/qualifying, pay $9 for a hot dog, and scope out where you'd like to be for watching the race.
  • Sunday, April 23 - We get to the track early (before the gates open) so people who want to sit can stake out their spots. After some stuff happens, we make a break for it and head north, stopping at some point along the way for sleeps.
  • Monday, April 24 - We finish the trip home.

So, who's in?

Here's the roster so far:

• Irresponsible_Robot
  • Morbo
  • jjester
  • SpeedDMD

Travelling separately:

• Phantom

We'll be staying at the Comfort Suites in Buda a little ways south of the track.

https://www.choicehotels.com/texas/buda/comfort-suites-hotels/txc51

Rooms are filling up so anyone that's planning on coming had better get your reservations made. Also, vehicle arrangements will need to get firmed up soon, so if you'll be riding along in the party van be sure to post up!

*JJ told me to.

5 people like this

I was told there'd be no chiming on this forum.

Location/accommodations were good. Don't expect 5 star accommodations. :) Couple of fast food joints across the highway and other restaurants a short jaunt up the highway. You're away from the city and decently close to the track.

Bring your walking shoes if you plan to explore the track. Seems obvious but Indy was fairly compact in terms of getting to spectator spots versus COTA.

Definitely in for going. Just not sure about anything else just yet. It may just be me. My wife expressed interest in going but we may look at extending the trip a couple of days. I'm trying to get her to consider moving to Austin so the couple of days to look around may help out.

I am interested in going so this post is for following the thread :)

Just so you know, if you start doing things I tell you to do you will be on a very slippery slope.

All I did was recommend you start the conversation. :D

Also I am very interested in going this coming year!

2 people like this

+1 on walking shoes. COTA is a bigger track than Indy, and you're walking outside the perimeter, not in the infield.

The first year I went to a race there I wore Chuck Taylors, and was literally crippled by the time it was over. Literally.

3 people like this

Not sure if I will volunteer again at COTA, it was a lot of work and expense. The only thing they covered was breakfast, lunch and water, with one group dinner. So transportation and hotels were our expenses. But it was a great experience.

Not sure if I will volunteer again at COTA, it was a lot of work and expense. The only thing they covered was breakfast, lunch and water, with one group dinner. So transportation and hotels were our expenses. But it was a great experience.

Let's not forget the greatest travesty: you don't get to keep the wrecked bikes. WTF? :D

6 people like this

My wife and I are in

2 people like this

We riding the bikes?

You can if you want. :) I know I'll be driving at least. If I get the money I'll be flying; but most likely driving.

We riding the bikes?

It was 869 miles of driving one way, no way I am riding a sportbike that much in one day.

1 person likes this

It was 869 miles of driving one way, no way I am riding a sportbike that much in one day.

I used to do that all the time in a cage but now that's too far in one day for me even in a cage !

With a keg in the back. :)

2 people like this

With a keg in the back. :)

There might just be enough room.

1 person likes this

If a van of hooligans and a keg is going I will reschedule my priorities and be IN.

2 people like this

If a van of hooligans and a keg is going I will reschedule my priorities and be IN.

I concur.

Oh man, that van, this group.... I fear for the person who falls asleep first.

2 people like this

869 miles isn't that bad. I have done more on a sportbike. Where is your sense of adventure? We could trailer the bikes though! (seeing as nobody wants to ride them)

I think the group of us taking a 15-passenger van with a keg in the back screams "adventure" more than slabbing my sportbike down to Austin. :D

5 people like this

I can be D.D.

2 people like this

Yes it does scream adventure more than slabbing the sportbike. Still a trailer attached with the bikes in it would simply add to the adventure lol.

Let's see... 1738 miles (25 hours), driving a 15 passenger van filled with hooligans with a keg in back... or going to work... STILL IN!

2 people like this