crash

Too early for a winter maintenance thread? (Winter 2016-17)

I don't care, I'll start one anyway. Since I am fortunate enough to have a few options to ride I am starting mine now on the one that needs it most... BGD1 (2014 ZX10R).

Also, before I start I will note that the beer of choice for the start of this maintenance is brought to you by Schlafly:

schlafly-tipa-2.jpg

So, I just had BGD1 (and BGD2) down at NCM riding the piss out of her as I always do and I realized a few things that needed attention this winter. Just before taking it to NCM I had the transmission out of her again because I had issues with it slipping out of 3rd pretty bad at Gateway (and this was on the 2nd transmission I put in it). After putting in some new gears and forks, and before loading it up for NCM I ran it out front of my garage and didn't have any leaks, but I took her out on the 1st session at Gateway and when I came back in I had oil all over my foot and in the lower. Fair amount splattered on the rear tire as well so luckily I didn't bin it. It appeared to be coming out of the shift sensor area. Apparently I cut the o-ring when I installed it so I pulled the front sprocket so I could get room and borrowed enough tools from people to get at the awkward location of the screws to pull the sensor out. Sure enough o-ring cut. I borrowed some Yama-bond and put it back together and took it out for another session and apparently was able to get the leak stopped. Anyway, I need to replace that seal now... ordering....

Also have a right front fork seal leaking, been leaking for a while and was able to get it stopped mostly with my seal mate, but not completely. Needs changing. Have seal on hand and will swap it out in the next couple of days along with changing fork fluid in both forks.

I noticed the front wheel drags WAY more than it should and mostly in one spot. The stock OEM rotors are really groooved pretty badly so I went ahead and ordered another set of those chinese Arashi rotors for $199 for the set. I believe OEM rotors are around $800/set. I already purchased these rotors for my second set of wheels that I run my rain tires on and they've worked just fine for me, so I have no problem running them again. I am also going to pull my front brake calipers apart, clean them up, replace seals and change fluid. I should have pretty good brakes again after that.

I also put another new Bridgestone S21 rear on order from Sportbike Trackgear. I just put one on BGD2 a few days ago. Also putting street fairings back on BGD1 so it will be my winter ride. Hmmmmm, what else?

Anyone else have winter maintenance planned?

Fix my headlights

Then again I'm sure I will continue to have my weekly old shit failures to dictate what I need to deal with.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was funny seeing you with the flashlights taped to the front of your bike since you used to give the rest of us shit for that. :)

• Upvote 2

Wait I just have to point out that you used YAMA-BOND to fix your Kawasaki!!!

Does that add horsepower???

?

• Upvote 3

Hey, I had to take what I could get. Beggars can't be choosy. :) And by the way, you typically don't have to glue the engine together on Kawis like you do with Yamahas because everything fits tightly on Kawis, so glue typically isn't needed. But if you cut an o-ring all bets are off. :)

• Upvote 3

Oh, and I bought another set of these Cree LED lights like what I have on BGD2 with intentions of putting them on BGD1 and running the race fairings on the street as well (just to save time swapping parts back and forth). I found a pair of them on Ebay for 18 bucks. I'll hang onto them for spares but if anyone wanted to go that route you can take these (when they come in). I've changed my mind and decided to continue to run the street fairings on BGD1.

I thought it was funny seeing you with the flashlights taped to the front of your bike since you used to give the rest of us shit for that. :)

No just you

Oh, and I bought another set of these Cree LED lights like what I have on BGD2 with intentions of putting them on BGD1 and running the race fairings on the street as well (just to save time swapping parts back and forth). I found a pair of them on Ebay for 18 bucks. I'll hang onto them for spares but if anyone wanted to go that route you can take these (when they come in). I've changed my mind and decided to continue to run the street fairings on BGD1.

I'll take EM as as a backup for when my headlights go out after I fix them ?

Do you like the S21's?

I'm probably going with those next. Pilot Roads are expensive, I don't ride in the rain generally, and they don't last more than 5k for me. Rather just buy a cheaper sportier tire that might last slightly less long.

I need to replace the bulb in my tach and that's about it. If I get real froggy, might take the tank off and try to figure out if my clutch cable really is that stiff or it isn't routed quite right. Also think my throttle cable got shifted because there's too much slop with the bars straight. But if I tighten up the slack, it revs when I twist the bars. I'm trying to think of what else I could possibly need, but I think I'm ok for now. :)

Maybe if I find a dirt cheap bike this winter I can start a project.

I bought the S21 because it was the best deal I could find for just a rear. You can get rebates on sets of tires but I have a million partially used fronts lying around so.... Currently I am running a Q3 on the front and S21 on the rear. I noticed Dave also is running the S21 on his ZX10 for similar reasons (the price). I don't ride too hard but they feel just fine to me. They wheelie just as good as any other tire. :)

P.S. I need to get another dirt bike as well. Probably a late model something or other.

I can keep them in stock in case either one of ours goes out. :)

Actually I'll buy them for what you paid for them and put them on so I'm not running around looking for flashlights tape and batteries on my next out of state trip - if that works for you?

I can do that or you can order a set from where I ordered them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122078801288?euid=23731d2a57844a08ba8d0100372743ce&bu=44274469187&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

I haven't received them yet, and in fact I don't think they've even shipped them yet. They sent me a message saying they would give me a tracking number as soon as they do. Seems a little shady but we'll see. Here's the message I got:

sorry to bother you , we just want to tell you that we have received your payment for this item, we will send it out as soon as possible.After doing so, we will send you a notification letter, with tracking number information if applicable.you do not do anything,just wait for it with patience , if you have any question, please remember to contact with us first, we are here and we will help you
thank you!

WAY TO EARLY ! my goal is not to buy anymore bikes over the winter :)

• Upvote 1

Well, I think that's the first one on either of my ZX10s, I did one or two on my 600s. Probably something to do with my diet. :) I used to have to change them on my dirt bikes often, until I started running seal savers.

Fork seal replaced and fork fluid changed. Next on the list is brake calipers which should give me something to do tomorrow night.

• Upvote 1

I was going to replace burned out tach bulbs today, but it wasn't quite as easy as I thought. I thought I'd just have to pull the tach out.

Well, to pull the tach out, I need to pull the speedo out so I can get to the tacho wiring clip which releases it. . To get to the speedo I have to unbolt the whole cluster, remove the odometer reset pin, and undo the speedo cable.

So I'll save that for another time.

Today I drove to Rural King to go shopping.

"That ". fixed my service engine light brake liner warning light and turn signal that had not worked for about four month's?

Funny thing...

When I have nothing to do, I go out to the garage and just stare at my bikes. If I look long enough I can usually find something that could use some attention. At the very least I check the fluids, measure the drivechain slack, and air the tires. If I remember the batteries get checked and if even just a little weak they get replaced.

I did the major service on the ZRX a few months ago, and it's running better than when I brought it home 16+ years ago, addressed all the issues I had with it. Then a few nights ago...I look at the bike long enough and think..."Ya know, I could replace the handlebar grips, footpeg, brake, and gearshift rubber parts" and then I'll have something to do!

Went through the carbs again on my dinosaur Honda 750 2 months ago--starts immediately, runs great, DONE!! Then I look long enough and there it is...a faint trace of fork oil at the right-side seal, a missing o-ring from the drivechain, and...I have even more to do!!

The scheduled maintenance gets done at the time or mileage interval recommended by the manufacturer(or earlier). But in the dead of winter when I'm not riding them, I'm wrenching on them so I CAN ride if the opportunity comes up.

• Upvote 3

The front tire needs to be replaced as soon as practical, and I'll check valves once the weather gets bad. At some point his winter I'm replacing the bodywork on the tank with an aftermarket one-piece design that should be way more convenient for getting at everything.

Noticed a bit of fluid on the seal on the Penske on the Sprint. Definitely need to get it serviced by Eric. Should probably pull the front forks too. It's probably been 2 years since their last service.

Should get around to changing the water in the YZ426 over to Engine Ice before the next big freeze.

Not much else that NEEDs to be done.