I've been looking at the new board... I hope everyone is Ok with the changes... wow I really hope so cause there is no going back now. There are still some things to figure out and as I've been doing that, I'm looking at cleaning some things up. A long time ago, for example, this forum used to support a gallery function. What that is/was... a place where you could store pictures on the STLAR web server. A couple of things sort of caused that to fall by the wayside. (1) the advent of places like photobucket, flicker, dropbox etc. and (2) the cost of storage on the web server. A lot of those old pictures  you see me draw up from the past are still hanging around. I might try and find a home for them on photobucket or flicker or something. Like here is an old fourm that died 8 years ago... but their pictures live on.

rip2.jpg   https://www.flickr.com/photos/stlmoto/albums

Deleting some unused forums... the NSFW section seems to be little used... I guess none of us need help finding that sort of thing anymore and a lot of the links in there are old and dead or broken... I could go through and find the "dead" posts and clean them up or I could just "crush" the forum... Or just do nothing... 

Speaking of that... in order to see that forum you have to ask to be assigned to that group... There are a few groups that could be deleted and as different Directors/admins have added people they have been given access to things by assigning them to groups and then groups are assigned groups and well it's a little confusing and sometimes when we add new things someone gets left out because I add everyone to a group and one person isn't a member of that group... For example everyone should be a "registered user" but some members are not assigned to the group "registered users". They are assigned to the "Members" group and were given access to something by changing their personal privileges on their individual account... This is probably TMI... so this year after we determine who is continuing as a member ... I'm gonna clean that up ... so if you should for some reason suddenly stop seeing something that you used to see let me know. Or I can just leave it a mess, if you would prefer.

Thinking about clearing out users that have 0 posts and haven't even been active (lurked) in a year... I could probably do this and no one would ever know... but transparency is the new buzz word of the times. Can't really clear out users with posts without deleting the posts too ... or it leaves a linkage mess... that's why when you leave STLAR and ask to have your account deleted... well it never really happens... (your account just gets hidden)... Even if you say you "are done" and "never coming back" ... you account will still be here... (98.7% of the people in the last 8 years that have asked me to delete their account... have come back.)

Arbitrary nice picture to hold your interest post-678-1242700229.jpg

There seem to be some little used forums... STLAR Merchandise comes to mind... should they stay around or not... What others might be candidates for deletion... The communications forum was created for a specific reason... should it be re purposed or just go away. There are a number of folks that are not members, maybe they were past members or they are "affiliated" with STLAR ties with other groups like MCRA, that we want to share event information with but not for total public consumption by the masses. Re-purpose it, just make it go away... move it to the members section for historical perspective... Tell me what you think...

This is my last topic... So here is an interesting old picture from the old days. Try and explain this one. inthebutt_zpstox0v9fj.jpg

So now my last topic... and this is more of a personal thing... The Whatever thread... no one likes the theory of "Whatever" more than I do... but I've seen almost everything posted in a single thread for a couple of years now... What this does is diminishes the other forums. I've seen tire reviews, equipment reviews... even a ride was posted and people went on it... in that thread... It's all mixed in with "My wife doesn't understand me", "my life just sucks" and other such stuff. It makes the data impossible to search and it's not classified to focus interest and bring new people to the site. I sent someone here that I met at Big St. Charles that looked like they might be a decent "candidate" and the feedback I got was "there's really nothing going on in there."  and I think the word that was used was "whiny" as well. We are big people and we can do what we want but with the advent of facebook and other social media ... it's hard to draw people here and we need to offer them something not available elsewhere... in the last few years we've added very few new members, I think we all have to so what we can to bring in new potential members. soapbox over.

noideacomputerdog_zpskua3d4vn.jpg

Could you delete my account please? Oh by the way, is that Neil Peart in that first pic?

23 minutes ago, crash said:

Could you delete my account please? Oh by the way, is that Neal Peart in that first pic?

Smart @$$!!

• Upvote 1

I very much like and support the idea of a cleanup. Also I like the idea of throwing all of the old pictures on photo bucket or something.

I will try to take all of the items you mentioned to the meeting next week to get some consensus/awareness so people can voice any concerns or thoughts. That, is unless you have time and will be attended the meeting.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, crash said:

Could you delete my account please? Oh by the way, is that Neil Peart in that first pic?

Yes I could ... and no it's not.

I've been off the site for quite awhile and slowly catching up on unread threads.  Saw this one and lol on all the pictures!  Had to google more pics of Neal Peart. ;-)

• Upvote 2

What is the reason for not being able to delete our post like we was able to do in the past??

all the other forums will let you delete post. besides the first post you started in a thread.

the man reason is because. back in 2010 when I had my bad accident. I had to lawyer up to fight the person at fault and there insurance company. The lawyer said to remove any thing that may be on the internet so the insurance company can't use it against you. 

so every once and a while I go back and delete all post that I can so I don't ever have to do it again. 

14 hours ago, whatarush said:

What is the reason for not being able to delete our post like we was able to do in the past??

all the other forums will let you delete post. besides the first post you started in a thread.

the man reason is because. back in 2010 when I had my bad accident. I had to lawyer up to fight the person at fault and there insurance company. The lawyer said to remove any thing that may be on the internet so the insurance company can't use it against you. 

so every once and a while I go back and delete all post that I can so I don't ever have to do it again. 

I'll look into it and see what's up. 

• Upvote 1

It was due to just a very few instigators who would stir up $#!÷ and then delete their posts to cover their tracks. Some people would threaten others with bodily harm or vandalism to their bike or other property and then delete their own post and deny it. Maybe not pertinent any more. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2