crash

MCRA Putnam Park April 15-16 2017

Where's our update from today's fun ?

• Upvote 1

A little breezy but perfect day other than that. New track surface is awesome! It's like highway A!

• Upvote 5

Most excellent weekend and start to the 2017 season B) A little damp 1rst and 2nd session Sunday, other wise dry and reasonably warm, not freezing cold. New pavement is superb and we'll be back for more :D Found the #@%&*  Contour Camera cables...dammit,,,, both of them :rolleyes: Just have to rely on ol crash for Ur video update < no pressure. Both cameras are charging, as we speak :)  Did I mention the new pavement is phenomenal :lol:

• Upvote 4

+1 on the new pavement, great grip both wet and dry with my Bridgestone S-21's. I had a great time! Putnam was already one of my favorite tracks and now it's even better! Nice seeing and hanging out with y'all, you know who you are, lol! Looking forward to Heartland Parks new pavement!!!

• Upvote 3

Saturday was a blast. The pavement was perfect. I was a little more rusty than I thought though. I was fighting my brain the entire day and I'm old enough to know that I get hurt when I do that. I did get to learn a lot about my new bike though. I'm already trying to figure out how to steal money from the wife for my next track day.

• Upvote 2

Great weekend.  Pavement nearly flawless.  Perhaps they should rough up the entry to turn 9?  Got a little anxious when I went in too wide a couple of times...  Add my endorsement for the S21's too.  Even when it was a bit wet plenty of traction once they warmed up.  Sunday further proves that weather forecasters are all in competition to paint the worst possible scenario; gloom and doom sells. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I was running S21s on BGD1. I was pushing them nearly as hard as I was pushing the race slicks. No issues at all. I had them out on the wet track as well. I wasn't dragging a knee in the wet with them or anything but I was probably pushing them harder than I pushed my rain race tires last year on the old surface with far fewer issues.

• Upvote 1

I put 223.4 miles on the S21s and 136.4 on the slicks. 360 track miles on a weekend isn't bad. I think that's a little more than a Bixby run. :) Burned through 25+ gallons of gas though! Dang, not much better mileage (14.4mpg) than I was getting with my truck pulling the 3 bikes to the track (11mpg)!

• Upvote 4

Some video from Tim Pike following Jhance Whittmer:

Jhance pulled out a 1:13.2 in yesterday's race. He lapped me right toward the end and I pulled up beside him on the cool down lap to get some video of his victory wheelie. Only problem is I am pretty sure I didn't get it because when I got back to the garage the battery was dead. :(

• Upvote 2

Got a crappy start yesterday. Then Jhance came by me with his own crappy start and I think he missed a gear or hit a false neutral and I almost bumped into him:

• Upvote 1

Man, I REALLY need to get on the treadmill!

17972113_10208111851386154_7848029710418

27 minutes ago, crash said:

Man, I REALLY need to get on the treadmill!

17972113_10208111851386154_7848029710418

Looks like your first in your age bracket LOL 

• Upvote 6

That's my buddy Dave right there. Gives it a twist after he shoves it in. :)

• Upvote 4

I strapped one of my cameras on Selbert's bike:

• Upvote 3

I have little doubt that if I had dieted and did some aerobics before the season started it would have been good for a couple of more seconds. I bought the bigger suit last year because I was having a hard time getting the next smaller one zipped that I bought the year before, which I bought a size bigger than the year before that even. :) At the end of last year that biggest suit would flap in the breeze down the straight at NCM. No flapping this year, but luckily I was able to get it zipped up, barely. I couldn't get into a tuck position though so it was like having a parachute open down the straight. Man, I gotta get some motivation!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Road_Runner said:

Still crazy fast!

Yes he is, and on Q3s to boot. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crash said:

Yes he is, and on Q3s to boot. :)

That is good to know, since those are the tires I use.  Sad to know how much harder I could push them! But I did set my best time this weekend, just makes me want to push a little harder next time. 

• Upvote 2

I know where Mike can shed a lot of time, and you might as well although I didn't specifically notice when I followed you. That is stay on the gas longer down the straight and brake later and harder. Figure out where you normally are letting off of the gas going down the straight and pick out something along the track as a mark. Next time down find another mark a little farther past that first mark and start braking there instead. Keep doing that until you are able to confidently brake hard all the way to your turn in point. That was Mike's first time there but he could probably go another mile or two down the straight before letting off the gas and getting on the brakes. :) That comes as you get seat time on the track and get it memorized though. I am actually really bad at that as well, especially since all the cracks in the pavement I used to use for brake markers are now gone. But, you guys can reduce your times a lot just by braking later, without even really going any faster through the corners.

• Upvote 2

That is very good advice, Mike and I discussed that exact topic!  I know I was closing the throttle way before the brake markers. Mostly before the stripped curbing on the left side.  So I will definitely work on that area. 

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Update on this topic, I was using a track timing app that @GSXR55 shared with me, it is Race Chrono. The advantage of this app is that you can download your sessions into a website, www.serious-racing.com. And then you can review your laps in detail with a photo overlay of the track.   I was actually chopping the throttle on almost every lap at about the bottom of the little hill, you can see the speed drop off very quickly.  The right side of the track has the entrance to the chicane!

So Crash your recommendation was very good advice!  I just hate I have to wait until July to work on this issue.

P.S. for anyone who might want to investigate this Race Chrono app and website, it is free! I highly recommend it. Both Putnan Park and Gateway Motorsports Park are in the database already.  I just discovered that Heartland Park and Hallett Motor Racing Circuit are also in the database.   

Yeah that is waaaaaay too early and that's about where Mike was letting off. I don't let off until past the top of the hill. Take a look at Selbert's video and see if you can pick out where he goes from throttle to brake. Keep in mind you'll also want to increase how hard you are braking. If your rear isn't lifting you have room to brake harder and that equates to time.

• Upvote 1

I was probably braking up that hill at first LOL.  Too early by a hundred feet or more all but a couple of times I am sure.  Probably never stayed wfo all the way to the top of hill.  Missed a bunch of shifts also and hit limiter or into neutral a couple of times so I went back to clutching most of the time.  Seems that turn 1 has a good margin for error but just couldn't manage to stuff it in there hard ever.   

• Upvote 2

So I looked through one of Jeff's videos later in the video where he was pushing a little harder and it looks like he was going all the way to the end of the rumble strip on the left before letting off on some of the laps. You can see his speedometer for a reference as to how fast he is going at the brake marker compared to how fast you are going, along with equal tires should give you an idea of where you can brake as well.

Also, he's not going anywhere near race pace at any point in these videos. I picked out one of the later clean looking laps and it was a 1:25 for him so he wasn't pushing hard at all and it didn't look like he was braking hard. If he was racing he would be running 10 seconds faster than that. So these are all just reference data that you can get some ideas from and know that you can do more and have an idea what to work on.

• Upvote 1