crash

MCRA Putnam Park April 15-16 2017

Time for some new brake pads if I am going to be braking hard enough to raise the rear end! LOL

• Upvote 1

I also just looked through my race video (which I am too embarrassed to post) and it looks like I brake about half way down that rumble strip at about 155. To be honest I've never felt good at Putnam and always felt like I've left something on the table braking into 1 myself. At Gateway I really brake hard and get the rear end dancing most every lap but not at Putnam or the other tracks.

22 minutes ago, crash said:

I also just looked through my race video (which I am too embarrassed to post) and it looks like I brake about half way down that rumble strip at about 155. To be honest I've never felt good at Putnam and always felt like I've left something on the table braking into 1 myself. At Gateway I really brake hard and get the rear end dancing most every lap but not at Putnam or the other tracks.

Ok at Hooters in Detroit  drinking warning curve ahead! ! I love when you get your rear end dancing  LOL

• Upvote 3

Aren't you supposed to be working?!?

The day is done time to look for potential funnys !

27 minutes ago, reed12b said:

Time for some new brake pads if I am going to be braking hard enough to raise the rear end! LOL

Barry ditto to you too !

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna stop hanging out with you guys!

• Upvote 3

By the way, ABI pictures are up.

putnamwheelie_zpsfcggchdg.jpg

• Upvote 4

Is it just me or is there a lack of knee down pictures at Putnam?

You won't find any of me, I try not to drag my knees, lol! 

• Upvote 1

Domo was looking pretty good.

tmp_13892-FB_IMG_1492621116550432698733.jpg

• Upvote 2

We found a scratch on one of Barry's knee pucks. We're not 100% sure but we think he touched down somewhere. :)

• Upvote 6

Switched BGD1 back to street mode and took it out for an FCF (Functional Check Flight) with only 1 discrepancy noted. Had to resolder a wire for my GPS. Man that is a fun bike!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, crash said:

Here's the picture link if you are interested in finding your pictures:

http://www.abi-photo.com/f338517961

Any video of Intermediate class?

:D

It'll probably be this weekend before I get it all uploaded.

• Upvote 1

Following Mike on that last session of the weekend:

In this video you can see exactly what I am talking about at the end of the every time down the straight. And again, that will get better as you get more time on the track. You accelerate hard initially coming out of 10 then at the bottom of the hill you stop accelerating and just hold a certain speed until you get to the top of the hill where you start lightly braking. You can hold that throttle wide open all the way to the rumble strip and go directly from wide open throttle to medium braking and easily make the turn-in to 1. The later you let off the throttle and harder you brake the less time it will take. I know that's obvious and easier said than done. :)

• Upvote 2

More of Mike in the 2nd to last session:

Should have stiffneck up next.

• Upvote 1

Following Christopher in Intermediat:

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, crash said:

More of Mike in the 2nd to last session:

Should have stiffneck up next.

Thanks for posting except for where I ran off...  I made two more errors before quitting that session.  Gotta get better at knowing when I'm losing focus...

• Upvote 1

...and I may have finally solved the problem with excessive brake lever free play.  Stuffed some aluminum foil into the little 'cup' that pushes on the MC piston;  Also glued a little shim into where the adjuster comes into contact (I did this before and it was somewhat helpful but it fell out last weekend and I expect it will again...) and also a shim onto the front of the handle bar tube. These are all things people from stlar have suggested (in addition to bleeding techniques and steel lines which helped but only a 1/4" or so), so THANKS!  Overall reduced from 1.75 to 1.0 inches which keeps my knuckles out of the way regardless of throttle position.  Test drove and seems to have taken the awkwardness out of getting on the brakes.  May have contributed to me shutting down early; will see.

On 4/23/2017 at 3:55 PM, GSXR55 said:

Thanks for posting except for where I ran off...  I made two more errors before quitting that session.  Gotta get better at knowing when I'm losing focus...

Ahhhh, 18:20. :) I forgot about that! I was like, where's he going?!? :)

On 4/23/2017 at 10:37 AM, crash said:

Following Christopher in Intermediat:

Thanks Todd, I still look like a hood ornament :lol: Good video, can see I need more practice w/body position. Some how need the rear sets back farther and clip ons farther forward.

• Upvote 1

I found that I kept tucking my inside knee in because my leg would get tired. Once I realized that, it occurred to me that I wasn't weighting the pegs correctly. I decided that the pegs weren't in a comfortable spot. So I decided to order rearsets....Don't tell my wife. I hope I like them. I got a set of driven tt for like $250 from 58cycle. They have to be better than the ebay ones I was considering.

• Upvote 2