Morbo

Let's talk 1-piece fitment

Since the Whatever Thread is going away.... 

Got my 2nd 1-piece suit yesterday. It was one size down from the first one. I've been wearing it off and on with the new back protector. I don't think this one's going to work either but before dismissing immediately I figured I'd make sure I understand what will or will not change as the suit breaks in. If this one goes back I'm not going to bother shopping for another one and just going to sell off the Forcefield back protector as well. 

My expectation is for the suit to be comfortable for me while I'm riding so I can focus on my riding. Unfortunately, my goal of dropping 20-25lbs has stalled at about a max 5lbs so it's not looking good which directly impacts any of my riding gear fitting comfortably.

How it fits:

• Legs and arms are still a tad long. I have to adjust and readjust my boots for the cuffs to not irritate the crap out of my legs. Same with the arms, I need to adjust them and then cinch down my gloves to hold them in place from not irritating my wrists.
  • Thighs are super tight. I have fat thighs, if I dropped the weight this wouldn't be an issue but for now I literally cannot pull the legs up any further which impacts....
  • The pelvic region... Let's just be blunt. Everything is squashed and just not comfortable when I'm not on the bike. When I'm on it, it's not much better.
  • Stomach - again, if I dropped the weight this wouldn't be an issue but there's a little room there even with the back protector. Not sure if this will stretch out much or what.
  • Chest - It's tight to the point it's restrictive. I realize this should break in but not sure if I can expect it to go from restrictive to comfortable, or just not as restrictive.
  • Shoulders - this is where I feel like "yep, this is never going to fit right." I get the tailoring of these suits is for a crouched race position on the bike and you're not doing jumping jacks in these things. From the area just below my chest up through the top of the suit it constantly feels like someone grabbed the suit under my arms and is constantly pulling down on it. 
  • Main zipper - it's a bit difficult to pull up, not an easy up/down thing. I just fall back on my soggy midsection problem.

I've sat on my bike with the suit on and, as it stands, brand new and not broken in, it isn't any more comfortable while on the bike than when I'm just sitting or standing around with it on.

For those of you who've gone through the 1-piece break-in process... any of this sound familiar? Or is the suit just too small?

[edit] Thanks to whomever made the suggestion of bending/squatting a bit when trying to pull it on, that made things way easier. Did a good job of keeping the back protector from creeping up as well. [/edit]

Edited by dogpark

I have 3 suits for varying stages of fatness. For me there really has never been a break-in process. It just fits or it doesn't. But, maybe I'm not as particular? I also only have cheap Cycle Gear Sedici clearance suits. Not sure if that makes a difference. Probably thinner leather means not as much need for breaking.

Maybe an odd question since you have different sizes, but did they ever feel fairly snug at all? I've seen enough of the other members in their suits to tell they don't seem restrictive ever to make me think that mine just doesn't fit vs. needing a break in period. 

Oh yeah. They start feeling REAL snug before I have to go a size up. :)  I hated getting a new one this last year but I was afraid of breaking the zipper on my blue suit. It's already damaged. I need to get a new one put in it. The new suit I got I am not happy with. It's a summer suit with ventilation and the shoulders start flapping pretty badly starting at about 150mph. Had people make smart ass comments about the flapping after the race at NCM last fall. :) 

7 minutes ago, mangosmoothie said:

What size suit do you have, and who is the mfgr?

Dainese... Size 54. 

You want it to be snug when you're in riding position on the bike, both feet on the pegs, arms on the bars. These things are supposed to be skin tight. Many well fitting suits feel borderline too tight when you're standing up, enough so guys have to unzip the chest for it to be comfy. A lot of people in this group buy suits a little larger than they need to accommodate extra clothing, and to make it easier to get on and off, to be "more comfortable". But ideally the suit should fit as tight as you can tolerate. Remember, these things are made for racing and taking spills at triple digits. You don't want anything on that suit to move if you take a tumble, and you want to keep your body parts snug.  

Sounds like this suit is a race fit, and you want more of a comfort fit 

• Upvote 4

You're dead on, Casey, and that's partially what I was thinking. My concerns were around what's appropriate; if this is just too tight and an improper fit or proper fit and I'm a victim of my own ignorance. Also, buying a suit from an Italian company who makes things for slender Europeans probably doesn't help. I'm neither a 20-something, nor an athlete, i.e., I don't have the regimen or metabolism to keep in proper shape. If this thing fits this tight now, I'll be in the same boat I'm currently in with my existing 2-piece if I'm not cautious of diet and exercise.  I didn't want a suit that swims on me but I don't want to have labored breathing all the time either.

If I were doing track days, I think I'd be tempted to hold onto it. For the weekend rides this doesn't seem to be practical for me.

Jason,

I have a Dainese size 52 which is the snuggest suit i have ever owned.But when i'm on the bike it fits like a glove .I love the quality of the leather,look and feel of this suit, the only issue that i have is that i can't wear a back protector with it. I like having a back protector on so i use my AXO suit size 54 more often. The Dainese one have had it  for a few yrs  now and it hasn't gotten any  looser on me with use. You might have to return the Dainese suit and get a custom made one so you can wear a back protector with it and be comfortable on the bike and off the bike with it.

Custom tailored one might cost more than the store bought one but you can get as much as 10 yrs of use off a good quality one.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Casey's post helped me realize it fits for its intended use but not for what suits my needs. (Lame pun not intended) I didn't need the suit, it was on discount and I had Revzilla cash sitting out there to save even more. My Dainese 2-piece is getting snug and it was cheaper for the one piece than a new 2-piece so I gave it a shot. The Dainese 2-piece suits fit me well so I will probably save up for a new one while trying to lose more weight to maybe fit into the existing one. That's a whole other story though. :)

I got lucky with my one suit. I picked up at a bike shop it was the only one they had it fits pretty good. Put I know I have to keep below 170 for it to fit comfortably.  It is only comfortable on the bike as soon as I stop somewhere I want it off my shoulders.

Seeing I have very limited experience with only ever having one suit, I'll only give a simple recommendation. If it fits now and it is comfortable it will get more comfortable as time goes on. If it does not fit now I would send it back, and not expect a miracle fit to come later on.

Dainese uses D-skin leather, which is the way that they treat their leather. If you feel their suits in comparison to other brands you will notice that the Dainese feels much less supple, but is more slick feeling (almost like it's been waxed). This is so the suit slides better when you go down. The down side to this is that their suits won't "break in" nearly as much as others. 

From the sounds of it, you are built similar to myself. Your arms and legs are short in comparison to the length of your torso, and you have a broad chest and shoulders. Which means if we buy a suit that fits our torso, our hands and feet barely come out of the ends of the suit (making it a real b*tch to put gloves on). Get a suit that fits your arms and legs, and you can't get it over your shoulders or zipped.

As a side note: If Dainese isn't working for you, Alpinestars will be even worse. They have longer arms and legs, and their torso is more tappered.

I have a few pics of me standing in some of my suits. If I find them I'll post up so you can see the differences in their fit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm definitely not the ideal body type for these suits - 5'7" and a mouth watering 197-200lbs depending on the scale and time of day. :D . I'm just short all over. I bought my current suit when I was about 170lbs and it fit ridiculously well save for the legs being a bit too long. 

Thanks for the tip about Alpinestars. I'd thought about jumping brands and thought maybe Alpinestars would be doable. I'll skip them.

I've got an AGV size 50US and the legs and arms are too short. I'll bring it and a Teknic size 48US to Tuesday nite Culpeppers. You can take these home and try on & ride with. Both need repair and are best used for sizing purposes, although I could part with either. I just got a new IXS size 50US and with my Knox back and chest protector, seem to fit perfect. Earlier today I blasted up to Grafton and back on SV1K, for simulated track day :D Suit sizing is a crap shoot at best. Just because the numbers are the same, doesn't mean they're the same size. If the IXS doesn't work out, custom sizing is next step for me. Barnacle Bill's www.racingleather.com is suppose to be good. Next step is getting me size correctly :rolleyes:

IMG_0094.JPG

13 hours ago, Road_Runner said:

I think Barnacle may have closed the shop.

The site that Chris provided is active, so may be someone else took over that business.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Speed said:

The site that Chris provided is active, so may be someone else took over that business.

www.racingleather.com 

Spoke with on phone, been 2-3yrs ago?

• Thanks 1