Irresponsible_Robot

Guess I'll do a Build Thread

Finally got the CBR back from the shop yesterday! Naturally, the first thing I did was tear it apart again to put on a taller windscreen.  

DSC_4463.JPG.4cb5cb889e7d0a7b67a007a876f6f4c2.JPG

Pretty soon I'll be working on sorting the ergos out, so that means:

• Rearsets - I know some of yins have experience with ebay rearsets. Are there any sellers in particular that are especially good/bad, or are they all basically the same?
  • Clip-ons - I think I'll try fabbing up these myself with some ebay brackets and some beefy aluminium tubing. I've been looking for an excuse to get a drill press for years now, I'd better not waste it.
  • Levers? - I might decide I'm okay with the stock levers for now, or I may decide I want more adjustability. We'll see.

After that it'll still need track bodywork, tires, and probably some engine case protectors and a radiator guard before Gateway in August. There's plenty of other stuff on the whiteboard too, but that should cover the essentials for now.

I just ordered 2 double bubble windscreens for BGD2. I'm too fat to crouch behind that tiny little stock windscreen.

25 minutes ago, crash said:

I just ordered 2 double bubble windscreens for BGD2. I'm too fat to crouch behind that tiny little stock windscreen.

So does that mean you've decided to keep BGD2? Again!

Well, I thought I had it sold but Ron ended up buying a 2017 instead, then crashed it and broke his femur. So for now it's not for sale. Well, everything is for sale I guess.

2 hours ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

Finally got the CBR back from the shop yesterday! Naturally, the first thing I did was tear it apart again to put on a taller windscreen.  

DSC_4463_zpstfh057j0.jpg

Pretty soon I'll be working on sorting the ergos out, so that means:

• Rearsets - I know some of yins have experience with ebay rearsets. Are there any sellers in particular that are especially good/bad, or are they all basically the same?
  • Clip-ons - I think I'll try fabbing up these myself with some ebay brackets and some beefy aluminium tubing. I've been looking for an excuse to get a drill press for years now, I'd better not waste it.
  • Levers? - I might decide I'm okay with the stock levers for now, or I may decide I want more adjustability. We'll see.

After that it'll still need track bodywork, tires, and probably some engine case protectors and a radiator guard before Gateway in August. There's plenty of other stuff on the whiteboard too, but that should cover the essentials for now.

Try HK-Moto on eBay for rearsets.

Parts started trickling in today.

DSC_4512_zps79tz8upm.jpg

• Upvote 2

This reminded me to finally order a radiator protector from Chy-na.  6-8 short weeks from now... Actually supposed to be 3; we shall see...

• Upvote 1

Welp, looks like the rearsets I bought won't accommodate the master cylinder as-is.

IMG_0247.JPG.05598f8adbc27aec9c1b59cc56828e7e.JPG

Looks like I'll be making an a-dapter for it!

You got some of the finest Chinese rearsets as well? I love my cheap ass Chinese rearsets! :)  I got lucky though and didn't have to do any a-dapting.

• Upvote 1

But that's the fun part!

a-dapter_zpsh4nb2buc.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

Welp, looks like the rearsets I bought won't accommodate the master cylinder as-is.

IMG_0247_zps1rz9tfeg.jpg

Looks like I'll be making an a-dapter for it!

Which brand or seller did you end up purchasing?  There are a lot of options on Ebay for my bike, but I am kind of leery of some of the cheaper stuff from China. I don't want to be having to fabricate brackets or adapters to make them work. 

7 hours ago, reed12b said:

Which brand or seller did you end up purchasing?  There are a lot of options on Ebay for my bike, but I am kind of leery of some of the cheaper stuff from China. I don't want to be having to fabricate brackets or adapters to make them work. 

I got FXCNC (a pretty common brand from what I can tell, lots of sellers seem to carry their stuff) from topmotorcycle16. I'm guessing this is pretty typical, even the name brand stuff makes you do some splicing to get the brake light to work. 

Getting there...

IMG_0248_zpszhzqz6hv.jpg

Success!

IMG_0250_zpsr4t7a1hl.jpg

Time for a quick shakedown around the neighborhood before taking it back off for painting. 

• Upvote 3

Found only one small niggle: the side-stand lever thingy gets in one's way during upshifts. 

IMG_0251_zpsn7evl7nr.jpg

Nothing a little bending can't fix.

• Upvote 1

So, that's just for holding the MC and not for the rear set (foot rest) itself right? So the pressure on the bracket will only be when you apply rear brake?

6 minutes ago, Speed said:

So, that's just for holding the MC and not for the rear set (foot rest) itself right? So the pressure on the bracket will only be when you apply rear brake?

That's right, it just holds the master cylinder to the rearset. 

• Upvote 1

Done!

IMG_0254.JPG.58c0d0c31cd7626232059a7d5395d0d3.JPG

Now back to waiting for the next boat to get here...

• Upvote 3

parts parts parts parts parts

IMG_0259_zpsvnh2pcoh.jpg

IMG_0260_zpsolts4euu.jpg

• Upvote 7

My radiator guard required "an adapter"...

paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarts

IMG_0261_zpsmjlthttf.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think you said you are making your own handlebars for those, right?

Gonna try, at least.

IMG_0263_zpspad7anbj.jpg

• Upvote 1

Huh. That went... really well, actually. 

Height comparison...

IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.82cf1ab7af5025c8f06c5f7389410841.JPG

Control nub holes...

IMG_0265_zpszcfrhvib.jpg

Almost there...

IMG_0266_zpsiauzt6ys.jpg

And done!

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.aadbacfddd7736f0e243a54dd69ec9dc.JPG

IMG_0268.thumb.JPG.8ec886bbe586c5b120561a3ab19e6972.JPG

Even on top of the triple clamp they're as low as they can be without interfering with the fairing. I took a quick loop down to the roundabout, but a proper test will have to wait until tomorrow. :D

• Upvote 4