Irresponsible_Robot

Guess I'll do a Build Thread

Got them on and went down to the roundabout and back - bike feels much taller now, no idea why. 

20819254_1333972146701938_38482508792911

I'll need to come up with a more permanent solution for mounting the brake fluid reservoir, right now it's just zip-tied in place. No probalo. 

Zip ties work, or you could replace the hose and reservoir with a clear piece of hose:

hqdefault.jpg

I notice those delete kits have a "breather cap" which I assume lets air in and not let brake fluid out. The only problem with that is air has moisture in it and moisture is very bad in brake fluid. And, brake fluid sucks up moisture.

Good thing I wasn't going to do that, then.

Okay, finally might actually get around to fixing this thing after my little adventure at Gateway in October. Overall I'd say it left in way better shape than I did. <_<

27628645_1488176007948217_76678776156644

27629332_1488176054614879_57181175739702

I've already got a new windscreen in hand, so all that's really left for parts that need ordered is for the rearsets. Gonna need a new peg and shifter linkage thingy.

27504053_1488175864614898_48256928878658

The clip-ons held up well, just need to readjust.

27710075_1488175921281559_48561569824779

If anybody has a good technique for removing air fence from mufflers, I'm all ears.

27369056_1488175867948231_32736648449446

This bit's gonna be the biggest pain, probably. Gonna need patched, filled, and painted. The original piece isn't painted (it's that colored resin stuff that Hotbodies uses), so color matching might prove a challenge.

27500352_1488175981281553_86645831469352

I'll probably start digging in to this over the coming week or whatever, so watch this space.

• Upvote 3

just my 2 cents...take it for whatever its worth (which isn't probably worth 2 cents :D)

if you have a small propane torch, large ball-peen hammer, a steady hand and some patience...you can straighten that shifter back out and it make it look almost like it was never bent.  You would need to remove it from the bike of course.  Would be preferable if you had a anvil or some kind of thick steel back surface, but sometimes the concrete floor works if thats all you got.  More than likely replacing it is cheap enough not to even bother, but if your on a budget, you got nothing to lose by trying to fix it yourself first and see if you like the results.  If you lived closer I'd be more than happy to metal work it for you and after a quick coat of silver wheel paint you'd probably be pretty damn impressed.

Your plastics look like a pretty easy fix.  just a little bit of filler and some sanding.  If you don't have much experiance with body work, then this could be some good practicin.  Your not gonna hurt anything.  If you mess up, reapply filler, sand, repeat....  

If this bike was mine, and for what I'm assuming it is (a track bike), I'd repaint both the front and rear red plastics so you don't have to worry about matching colors.   This might sound hokey, but if you take your time and be picky about your prep job, you can actually do a pretty good paint job (again for what the bike is) with a rattle can, especially if you go with a semi-gloss or low gloss color.  It looks like the black plastics are a low gloss or matte finish anyway.

If your pretty proud of the bike and want a nice gloss finish again, and replacing the whole plastics are pricey, then maybe try to do as much of the body work your self and drop them off at the local body shop and see if they'll spray them for a reasonable price.  If you lived closer to me, we could just take them to my buddies body shop I have access to and we could make them as good or better than new again spending about a week of evenings with it, but if I recall your like 10 hours away lol

for the muffler, on the chrome part I would start with some steel wool and lots of elbow grease.  and on the end, I would wet sand it starting with some 120 sandpaper (or something close enough), after the goo is off sand with some 400, mask it off and repaint with some hi-temp black paint from your local auto store.

If for some reason you can't get the chrome part of the muffler to look good enough with steel wool, may end up having to live with it or sand the whole thing while your sanding the end and paint the whole thing with high-temp black.

Or, that looks like it could be a stock muffler? craigslist, ebay, forums, etc... and pick up a nice used one pretty cheap I would suspect.

good luck!  and thats a pretty cool looking bike.  what cc is it? 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 10:06 PM, crash said:

I notice those delete kits have a "breather cap" which I assume lets air in and not let brake fluid out. The only problem with that is air has moisture in it and moisture is very bad in brake fluid. And, brake fluid sucks up moisture.

I bought one of those hrc hose kits for my rc51 for no other reason than because it is one mega major pita removing the tail section to do any maint in the tail, or service the brake fluid with the stock resevoir mounted where its mounted.  The tail plastic was cracked in that area from the po not being careful removing/installing.

anyways,  that cap looks like a fancy vented cap like you say, but its actually just a solid plug.  So no air enters.  The flexibility and softness of the hose is "supposed" to act like the expandable rubber diaphram thingy that normally sits in the brake resevoir caps.  That, and I guess its assumed you will be removing the cap after each day of use at the track to vent off any of the vacuum created in the hose from brake pads wearing

Quit overthinking it, dude. That's my job. Glossy finish?

nowistimeforlol.gif.80fb7d038a859286293344504a9ad7e6.gif

Naw, the plan is to take a smaller piece into Wally World, find whatever spray paint matches closest, and call it a day. 20/20 job is the goal here, nothing more.

As for the shift lever, that did occur to me. I've got an anvil and everything, but I've had mixed results before from trying to re-bend aluminum parts. I'll just replace it along with the peg. 

The bike's a little CBR300 I picked up last year so I'd have a track bike I could afford to crash (everything's gone according to plan so far!). Pics of what it used to look like can be found earlier in this thread.

well at LEAST tell me you are gonna repair those holes in the plastics :D

lol!  I hear ya though.  I am going to do the same thing hopefully by start of summer (pick up a smaller cc inexpensive track bike)

In case anyone was curious, this is what asphalt does to aluminum at ~40 mph.

27858660_1491045470994604_13557741644599

• Like 1