Sign in to follow this  
dogpark

Cooling Vests

dogpark    3,406

So and interesting thing came up in another thread and I was just wondering does anyone have experience with Cooling Vests?  How do they work? Are you wet when you wear one and if so... how does that work with your leather jacket?

I know I think I've seen cyclesailor wear one...So Gene... any advice on these?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Road_Runner    2,883

I use one but I have a (electric freezer )in the truck-have  not used one on a bike.

• Upvote 1

crash    9,335

You could put that ice pack in your trunk and run the hose to your cooling vest. Looks pretty cool. No pun intended. :)

cyclesailor    138

I have a Techniche Evaporative Cooling Vest Product #6352

www.techniche-intl.com

1-800-823-2665

I've worn the vest under my street riding gear as well as my Daniese track leathers with a serious cooling effect to the upper torso.

Just soak the vest in a sink of cool water or under a facet and be ready for a SHOCK when you first put the vest on. After that the air flow while riding provides Relief.

Highly Recommended 

• Upvote 3

SprintST    875

I was lent one to use in AZ when I was out there.  One of the older ones you presoak.  Can't recall the name right now.  It worked quite well in the near desert heat under my Firstgear fabric jacket.  I closed the front vents and just kept the back vents open to let the evaporation leave the jacket.  I did have to "re-charge" it after a few hours in a bathroom sink.  But, that's the desert.

dogpark    3,406
1 hour ago, arlone74 said:

Do cooling vests feel clammy when wet and against your skin?

I wouldn't say clamming but you feel it. You don't get the clammyness because the air is moving while you are riding... when you stop you are damp... I found a heavy cotton shirt the most comfortable when wearing it ... why... T-shirt and under armor were too sticky. The heavy cotton would move on it's own and dry more quickly without feeling too damp... but yeah... you feel it. BUT... I was a lot cooler.

• Thanks 2

DemonDuck    170

I have used the kind that you just get wet and throw on.  They work great.  I have a buddy that made a great system with one of the cooling vest and pants that has the hose lines running through it and you connect to a backpack and pump cold water through.  He has a GS1200 and made it so the top hard case was a big cooler full of ice and hooked the lines and pump up to go through that as well as wired it to work off the bike so he wouldn't run out of power.  He said he has to turn it down all the time because he gets to cold.  I will find a link to his setup and post it...... and I found it..

http://www.fwmr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10663&hilit=cooling+system

Its a couple pages long but has some good info for anyone wanting to look into this stuff.  Plus he has tried many systems so it might help save someone money.

DemonDuck    170

Ok now that yall got me looking into this stuff I found another one of my friends that came across a much cheaper version.  He has been testing it out and says it last about 2.5 hours with the backpack it comes with at temps around 80.

https://www.amazon.com/Compcooler-Backpack-Circulation-Comfortable-Performance/dp/B01DLSBIB2/