reed12b

MCRA Putnam Park July 1 + 2 2017

Who going to Putnam Park? Love the new asphalt, very little tire wear compared to the old surface. I am really looking forward to going again.

• Upvote 2

Dang, and I just switched my race bike back to street mode! Oh well, I guess I'll try and make it anyway. :)

• Upvote 3

Be there all day... both days... :)

• Upvote 3

I'm out. Gotta work. :smack:

6 hours ago, Aodrn said:

I'm out. Gotta work. :smack:

:(

• Upvote 1

Track bike might be ready in time for this or if not I could take the BMW.  I need to get my feet wet in track days up in this neck of the woods for sure.  I will see what I can do!

• Upvote 1

Jeremiah, what are you running for a track bike?

A 2001 SV650.  Its dog slow but great for perfecting ... well everything at the track IMHO.  To easy to make up for mistakes with the BMW by just twisting the throttle and depending on the electronics to save my arse.

• Upvote 1

Just gotta turn all those electronics off! :)

• Upvote 1

True but then I would still have that throttle in straights to make up for a blown corner.  Plus it puts a big smile on my face when I get lucky and pass some kid in the corner that is on his 1k and is obviously worthy of being in MOTOGP signified by his amazing acceleration in straights..... it just makes me giggle like a school girl.  That said it has been to long since I have had the BMW on the track and it does need a little track love.  We will see how it all plays out.

• Upvote 1

We had a guy at Hallett show up to tech the morning of the first day (his first track day) and said his friends all have been telling him how great of a rider he is and that he was MotoGP caliber rider. He crashed in the 2nd lap of the first session of the weekend and he was incapable of finding a line the rest of the weekend. Not sure if his friends were messing with him or they were just that far out of touch with reality.

• Upvote 2

That guy only went down because his head was so damn heavy.... completely the fault of the motorcycle manufacturer ... duh!.  He probably went on to challenge people to street races because tracks are for the WEAK!!  lol.  I personally have never been the "fast" guy and just do my best not to be the "slowest" guy but one day at Cresson... or maybe it was Eagle Canyon...  Ty Howard was instructing an advanced class to prepare people for CMRA license and decided to come play with us normal folk thinking about moving up to level 3.  While it was an amazing experience and he was fun to watch as he passed you and everyone else, that kind of experience does well to remind you of how stupid slow you really are lol.  Great guy and one day I will make it to his race school even if I am to old for that.

Yeah, there are some fast CMRA guys. Had a couple of those at Hallett as well. I'm already slow but was thinking maybe I needed to bump down to Novice riding around with those guys. :) Our race clinic also is accepted by CMRA to get their license, although our clinic is almost 100% about race procedure.

Yall go through a yellow shirt period and all also?  I still think I want to get a license and get a few races under my belt now and then lol.  I am sure I would be close to last in every race but it would still be a fun experience.

After looking at the track on google maps it looks like it would be more fun on the BMW ... looks like a good track for higher speeds.  But the SV might be able to get me up to 120 or something eventually (complaining the whole time) lol.

We run the race clinic on Saturdays and the people in the clinic wear orange shirts and ride in the Intermediate group all day Saturday. Then we have a mock race for them at the end of Saturday. If you pass the written tests (everyone does) and don't crash for the entire day you get your certificate which makes you eligible to buy a race license from us (MCRA), CMRA, WERA, or CCS. You have 2 years to get a license and race from one of those orgs before it expires. You and I can race each other at the back of the pack. :) I'm actually running 2nd in the expert GT class right now, only because I entered all the races not because I've been kicking anyone's ass. :) But you would run your SV in our GT Lites class, which we didn't actually have any entries for at the last race, so you would have gotten 1st! :)

• Upvote 1

That would be perfect for me .... 1st without trying!  Yea gonna need you to get a 650 so I have someone to play with.

That has been discussed. There are actually a few ex GT Lites guys that want to get a bunch of 650s together to get a Lites grid back up. If I had one I would line it up for sure.

Nothing wrong with a SV650 😈

• Upvote 1

I need to borrow one to race at Putnam. :)

• Upvote 1

You can use mine as long as I have the plastics fixed and back on it before then.  Might need some fresh tires on it as well but in any case if it is ready your welcome to use it.

1 hour ago, crash said:

I need to borrow one to race at Putnam. :)

Maybe I should race. :)

• Upvote 1

Yes you should!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, stiffneck said:

Maybe I should race. :)

You only have a couple of weeks to get your race license! Stick a turkey pan under your bike and let me race it! :)