GSXR55

Phone mount

Need to get a universal mount that can hold whatever phone I may ever have (or a gps). Bonus for having mini usb power supply integrated.  Would want to tie that into the power leads I have for my slime air pump.  Will start googling but would like to get advice from you all.  Thanks!

Also best gps app for Android even if I have to spend $10-15. I don't want ads, tracking, etc...

• Upvote 1

I think RAM makes the best mounts. I actually have one of those phone mounts that I don't use anymore:

https://www.google.com/#q=ram+phone+mount

I would be "extremely" cautious about any sort of USB plug for your phone however. My experience is the vibration from the motorcycle ruins the USB connection in the device. I went through a few GPS Garmin devices that are designed for car use that just have the regular USB connection and they all ended up with bad USB connectors in a short amount of time. I now have a Garmin that is designed for motorcycle use and it has a special conenctor:

garmin_zumo_390lm_2.jpg

Notice the two little bronze colored power contacts that mate with similar contacts on the cradle.

• Upvote 1

Oh and regarding GPS apps, the current Google Maps (standard on the phone) is actually pretty good now. You can set up routes in Google Maps on the computer and send them to your phone. Works pretty well. You can even download/cache map data in Google Maps now so you don't have to be online to get the map data.

• Upvote 1

Thanks on both replies!

Mike, I use several of their connectors for my GPS, socket to SAE plug for a mini compressor, etc. Great stuff:  http://www.powerlet.com/

• Upvote 1

I used to use one with the rubber mounts. I think it was a Ram as well. I never had issues with it, but I currently use a Montana GPS on the FJR with a special motorcycle mount.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, crash said:

You can set up routes in Google Maps on the computer and send them to your phone. Works pretty well....

I have never gotten this to work. Are you free-forming the route? I have picked the start and destination, let Google route me then I'll manually change the route. When I send the route to my phone it always uses the original route.

I recently purchased this mount:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-x-grip-fork-stem-kit

I flubbed up trimming down the tapered stem mount so it's unusable. Luckily, there's a bolt right next to fork stem that fits the bolt so I've been using that. I'm always nervous the phone is going to fall out but it's always secure. I'd recommend it. I'll get around to buying a new universal stem mount one of these days. I'll try posting a pic later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morbo said:

I have never gotten this to work. Are you free-forming the route? I have picked the start and destination, let Google route me then I'll manually change the route. When I send the route to my phone it always uses the original route.

I haven't done a route in a while but the last time I did it worked fine I'm pretty sure. I'll have to try it when I get home from the meeting.

1 hour ago, Morbo said:

I have worked around that before by adding more destinations that are on the route. It works for shorter routes, because Google limits the number of stops between start and finish. I have tried My Maps under Google and that does keep the route you form IIRC.

13 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

Need to get a universal mount that can hold whatever phone I may ever have (or a gps). Bonus for having mini usb power supply integrated.  Would want to tie that into the power leads I have for my slime air pump.  Will start googling but would like to get advice from you all.  Thanks!

Also best gps app for Android even if I have to spend $10-15. I don't want ads, tracking, etc...

I have the ram stem mount (you may have saw it on the herman ride).

I love it, and its easy to transfer just the clamp from one bike to the next.

Your more than welcome to try mine out for a ride if you'd like.  would only take a allen wrench or socket to quickly transfer it from my stem  to yours.

• Upvote 1

I have a couple of stem mounts myself actually although I can only use them on the 600. Actually I think I only have one good one left which is in my 600 now.

kWtcE2B.jpg

Here's the mount I just bought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Speed said:

I have worked around that before by adding more destinations that are on the route. It works for shorter routes, because Google limits the number of stops between start and finish. I have tried My Maps under Google and that does keep the route you form IIRC.

Yep, it's not too hard actually. I just created this and sent it to my phone and it worked fine in Google Maps on the phone:

https://goo.gl/maps/6kDZtcfJfvw

It even asks if you want to download it for offline use. Here's a list of steps:

After dragging the route the way you want it on the pc:
* you right click each dragged point, and create a destination, in order from start to ultimate destination
* you then drag the ultimate destination to the last position in the list of destinations so the route goes the right way once more
* Send to phone (or text or email to phone)

Actually the guy that posted those instructions on that page went on to say in the next message:

Well, that turns out to be not so complete a success as I'd thought. Google Maps pauses the directions with each waypoint I reach... So, pretty much useless still.

So, I'm not sure. I guess that's why I bought the Zumo 390LM. :) I can edit maps in basecamp and send them to the GPS. Google maps is really a lot easier than basecamp to use though. Too bad it doesn't work as well to the phone app.

Here's a map I created back in 2013 in my "Saved Maps" but can't get the phone to navigate it either. Could have swore I was able to get it to work. But then I remember also using this free GPS app because of trouble like this with Google maps. I am actually extremely surprised Google Maps still can't do this on the app.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zlrY1aLhpZH7QU-C4q21cjOifbY&usp=sharing

I use Google Maps for longer trips and basically just use sequential destination feature to plan my fuel/food stops out in advance, since you have to acknowledge each destination as you arrive. Then I end up ignoring it for half the route anyway. 

Well, I am definitely getting this one for my bicycle.  I dropped a phone down into my spokes a few years back.  Not pretty!  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-For-Cell-Phone-GPS/371873002950?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D1d8695f04d2f4f5eadc2f57eb8e39f8e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D262894796645

In the description it says, "Hold your device firmly in place for security while you drive/ride on a bumpy road."   I am assuming they mean 'HOLDS'....  It's $7.00; I've just got to know!   

If it's a total POS, in the bin it goes.  If it's decent I will use on bicycle.  Very doubtful it's beefy enough for the moto. 

I use RAM mount stuff in my Semi for my phone and on the bike good stuff. AND Google has been more accurate than RandMcnally, TomTom, Waze, and MyOne20.

• Upvote 1

Yup, I've got the RAM stem mount coming.  Got a nice 3A USB power supply for $10.  Can charge up at lunch breaks to avoid vibration damage...  Fairly easy to get to the connector, just ahead of bars, for trickle charger or air pump.  

https://www.amazon.com/Motopower-0609A-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B01DYE54LI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498101053&sr=8-1&keywords=MOTOPOWER

Still need to play with GPS.  I read somewhere that you can download the map of the US to Android phone so you don't need an internet connection to get started.  Perhaps that will improve battery life so I don't have to be on charger all the time.  

81ojYW5I8qL._SX522_.jpg

I had the Ram mount in box when I got home.  Should have ordered a day earlier...  Gotta get a glove with metallic finger tip so I can text and ride but otherwise all sorted out...  I do wonder why they didn't apply the "adhesive solution" (crazy glue) to the rubber nubs at the factory....

and you'll notice its much more safer to reply to emails and post on the forum while riding since it will free up one hand to steer.

:hidecouch:

• Upvote 2

I just put a ram handlebar mount on. I don't think I could go through the stem because the bars would be in the way. Maybe it would have fit. 

Eventually I might get a master cylinder reservoir cover with a ball on it. Or get one of the handle bar clamp base ball things. 

but this works for now

w7zaZf8.jpg

• Upvote 1