OhNoItsBonnie!

tire cupping question

I bought a rc51 with michelin pilot power tires on it.  their fairly new with not many miles but the front has some slight cupping on it.  If it was on a cruiser, I wouldnt even begin to worry about it, but being a performane bike that Im going to be learning on, I'd prefer to get a opinion on them first.  Its no issue for me to replace it, but theres so little wear on it, Id hate to toss what might a perfectly acceptable tire with lots of miles left.

Do any you think a minimal cupped front tire could be a issue? I would take a pic but its not that obvious at all visually.  It is obvious by running your hand down the tread though

I'm not sure but on a new bike (different suspension)it may actually un cup itself ???

also running at lower pressure both parts cupped and UN cupped parts should be making contact with the pavement.

im no tire expert and a true racer typ expert would probbably see it different but that's my best guess for anything less then race pace.

• Upvote 1

Tire cupping will usually be from either an unbalanced wheel, or suspension issues. Which allow the tire to bounce up and down causing it to loose contact with the road. Once the cupping starts it just amplifies the problem because the cupping also causes bouncing. 

Check your front wheel and see if it has any wheel weights on it. If you can pull the wheel off and take it to have the balance checked that would be the best way to eliminate it as a problem. As for the suspension, I know you are wanting to take it to Eric to get it set up. He will be able to tell if you have any problems. It could be as simple as the rebound being set too low, and not allowing the front to recover fast enough from bumps. 

Either way I wouldn't replace the tire until you figure out what's causing the cupping. And if the cupping on the current tire isn't that bad you may be okay to continue using that one. Eric will be able to give you a better idea on that as well.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, yzfr6i said:

Tire cupping will usually be from either an unbalanced wheel, or suspension issues. Which allow the tire to bounce up and down causing it to loose contact with the road. Once the cupping starts it just amplifies the problem because the cupping also causes bouncing. 

Check your front wheel and see if it has any wheel weights on it. If you can pull the wheel off and take it to have the balance checked that would be the best way to eliminate it as a problem. As for the suspension, I know you are wanting to take it to Eric to get it set up. He will be able to tell if you have any problems. It could be as simple as the rebound being set too low, and not allowing the front to recover fast enough from bumps. 

Either way I wouldn't replace the tire until you figure out what's causing the cupping. And if the cupping on the current tire isn't that bad you may be okay to continue using that one. Eric will be able to give you a better idea on that as well.

there is no weight on either wheel :(

I like your idea of taking it to Eric asap to have him give me a baseline, I will pull the front wheel and balence it, check pressure, then go from there I guess.  next time I get together with any of you, maybe I can get some opinions.  Once everything is checked and adjusted, RR maybe right then, it may uncup itself with it being so new still and not that bad.  I highly doubt the previous owner checked the tire pressures before every ride like I now do, and I've been told running to low of pressure can also cause cupping

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, crash said:

RTS!

He doesn't know what that means yet does he?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dogpark said:

He doesn't know what that means yet does he?

Well, I guess he'll have to replace his entire suspension then. :)

• Upvote 1

Hey sorry I missunderstood something - I thought for some reason the tire came off a cruiser - anyway your on the right track now with Eric.

1 hour ago, crash said:

RTS!

I agree with Todd. Get the bike out and enjoy it. If the cupping isn't bad you'll probably not even notice it when riding. If you start to feel a vibration at higher speeds, slow down. You've got some pretty good roads out by you that you can cruise around on. Just take it easy and get familiar with the bike, and start figuring out how that big v-twin likes to be ridden. It's going to be different from your other bikes, but I think you're going to like it.:headbang:

On 7/2/2017 at 7:53 PM, crash said:

RTS!

By the way do you have any stickers? I need a couple.

I think I have a stack of them somewhere. I don't even have one on any of my bikes at the moment.

I would get one but I don't think I'm worthy of one again yet. 

went for my first real ride on them today.  last night I took a scotch brite pad and soap and water to the chicken strips.  previous owner had put armor all or similiar on them to shine them up for the sale.

had no issues, no vibrations, and I got up to a pretty good clip on a straight a couple times.

so Todd, assuming its Ride that S--t...thats what I did:D

• Upvote 3

On 7/2/2017 at 1:07 PM, Road_Runner said:

I'm not sure but on a new bike (different suspension)it may actually un cup itself ???

also running at lower pressure both parts cupped and UN cupped parts should be making contact with the pavement.

im no tire expert and a true racer typ expert would probbably see it different but that's my best guess for anything less then race pace.

Just got through going over the bike tonight and ran my hand over the tires.  You are right about the tires uncupping themselves.  This is the first Ive experianced it but the tires have seem to have done just that.

Perhapsthey where new enough and with me checking pressures before every ride but they definetly feel better than when I originally posted this thread, a little over a thousand miles ago