GSXR55    344

Was sensing a loss of HP even before I went back to stock gearing.  Bike has about 7k on it now.  Figured I'd inspect the air filter...   

Shoulda bagged that stuff up and sent to thepeople on naked and afraid...

Cleaned up fairly well with banging, vacuuming, compressed air and brake cleaner spray from clean side.  Let it dry good before I put back; didn't want to blow head gasket.  

Should be good for another few thousand...

I've read that some people soak in soapy water but it didn't seem that far gone and thought it might disintegrate.  

20170708_154510.jpg

20170708_154631.jpg

• Upvote 1

Aodrn    94

Holy cow! That is impressive for 7000 miles. I better check the filters on the cars now that I think of it.

Aphrodite    1,729

Wednesday night, was going through MO out of Ill along through Hannible and had so many bugs hitting the windshield it was like it was raining.

Edited by Aphrodite
Spelling issues ;)

jjester    1,690

I clean my air filter (k&n) every season either at the end or the beginning on the season. I get too much road dirt and bugs sucked in to air box to ignore it.

• Upvote 1

reed12b    749

I don't remember the last time I looked at mine, guess I need to add that to the todo list! Thanks

• Upvote 3

SprintST    875

I lost track of how long it'd been since the K&N air filter on my Sprint had been serviced.  I had it in to Donelson's for a valve check earlier this year.  They actually took a picture.  Forgot to have them forward it to me.  It was solid black on the intake side.  Couldn't even see the pleats in the majority of the filter.  Oops.  The throttle bodies were clean, though.

• Upvote 1

SprintST    875
On 7/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, GSXR55 said:

Was sensing a loss of HP even before I went back to stock gearing.  Bike has about 7k on it now.  Figured I'd inspect the air filter...   

Shoulda bagged that stuff up and sent to thepeople on naked and afraid...

Cleaned up fairly well with banging, vacuuming, compressed air and brake cleaner spray from clean side.  Let it dry good before I put back; didn't want to blow head gasket.  

Should be good for another few thousand...

I've read that some people soak in soapy water but it didn't seem that far gone and thought it might disintegrate.  

Was this the OEM filter?  Because those are not really reusable.  Unless Suzuki changed the media, it's just a simple paper element.  Meant to be replaced.

stiffneck    982

:wait: Come to think of it, maybe I should check some filters too :rolleyes:

jjester    1,690
On 7/17/2017 at 11:40 AM, SprintST said:

Was this the OEM filter?  Because those are not really reusable.  Unless Suzuki changed the media, it's just a simple paper element.  Meant to be replaced.

On 7/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, GSXR55 said:

Mike,

Sorry I missed what you wrote, but cleaning the OEM Air filter is not a good idea. If you put anything on that filter you likely damaged it.

ZRX4ME    784

Actually, the real question is "Why wouldnt you just replace the filter and be done?"

As per the Suzuki Factory Service Manual for my '14 DL1000A, In the Maintenance section the pertinent paragraph states:

{1) Inspect the air cleaner element for clogging. If it is clogged with dirt, replace it with a new one.

NOTICE

*  Do not blow the air cleaner element with compressed air.

*  If driving under dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element more frequently. Make sure the air cleaner is in good condition at all times. Life of the engine depends largely on this component.}

• Upvote 1

crash    9,335

I can understand why people might want to save 50 bucks on a filter (at least that is how much mine costs). Of course it could lead to more than 50 bucks worth of trouble if you're not careful.

• Upvote 1

GSXR55    344

Q: Actually, the real question is "Why wouldnt you just replace the filter and be done?"

A: I really didn't expect to find such a large collection of Ozark insects.  I suppose I should have just banged on ground and vacuumed but didn't see how I could actually damage it by back-flushing with air and since element didn't disintegrate from brake cleaner, I'm willing to bet it's hanging together still, but I'll check tomorrow.

I do understand that once too many microscopic particles get in there they ain't coming out.  

I have a new one coming.

GSXR55    344

Got and installed my new one Friday!

• Upvote 1