GSXR55

Octane Booster (Lucas)

I had to get to $99 on my new front tire ($96) to get free shipping, so I clicked on a $3.95 octane booster... Cheaper than shipping...

They sent me a case of 18 for $3.95!  

Obviously I feel guilty, so at Gateway, the first 17 people who want one can have free...   

Does this stuff make any difference?  My bike calls for 90 and I generally can only get 93 so already 3 points higher.  

If you aren't predetonating, it will only hurt performance to increase octane. I am not very bright, but someone smarter than me once went through the math on a few different octane boosters. He showed that to boost the octane by a couple points, you would have to use that entire case they sent you. That was just internet forum info so who knows if it's valid, but I figured I would help perpetuate the myth

• Upvote 1

There's a reason why engineers make big bucks, that's because they engineer systems to run within certain specs. If the bike call for mid grade, use mid grade. Anything less harms, anything more is just throwing money away. However, if other things are done performance wise, it may be a necessary evil.

• Upvote 2

Octane slows the burn. The higher your compression the more octane you need to keep it from igniting before the spark plug fires. And yes, it's not going to give you more power just by increasing the octane, and in fact will lower the performance (probably by a minuscule amount though).

• Upvote 5

Dont EVER use this octane booster!  It SUCKS!!!!!

The other day I was in the gas station and saw it on sale so I figured, "what the hell..I'll give it a go.

so I poured the whole thing in my busa and let me tell ya....it bucked and wheezed and ran like total crap!!!!

41f5f6d3-a72b-45e2-8415-a1e0730a19e4_1.fd27851ff19dc477f843e589160b19d4.jpeg

• Upvote 13

Looks like nitrous to me...

2 oz bottles, supposedly increases 2 gal by 3 points I think.   

15 minutes ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

The other day I was in the gas station and saw it on sale so I figured, "what the hell..I'll give it a go.

so I poured the whole thing in my busa and let me tell ya....it bucked and wheezed and ran like total crap!!!!

LOL :D

• Upvote 2

I tried that stuff and I bucked and wheezed too. I just stick to triple espresso now.

• Upvote 8

Back in the 80s and 90s during my BJEC days  we would get AVGAS ( Aviation fuel ) from the smaller airports.  Not sure on the octane rating I think it was 110 but the bikes would run much cooler and would put a very distinct sweet smell out.  We would mix that into 2cycle and I have also known in my bass fishing days guys to run that in there outboard boats.Does anybody use AVGAS in racing  street bikes?

You have to be careful with aviation fuel. It usually has a high level of alcohol because of the elevations the planes fly at. We ran it in our cars for awhile in the 90s, but the alcohol wreaked havoc on the fuel injector o-rings.

For 2-strokes I always ran a 50/50 mix of 110 Turbo Blue and 90 octane, then mixed that 28:1 with Comp 2. Suzuki/Kawaski 65's were prone to spin crank bearings. And just out of sheer laziness I used it in my 250 as well.

• Upvote 2

It's been a long time since my a/c fuel days but I think the choices were 100 or 80 octane ? Maybe it's 110 but in any case the same things people have been saying would I think aply. In my diesel pickup I add two stroke oil to help with an issue my model has with the injector pump - but that's for lubricant not power reasons and yes not related to octane.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

ROFL. :D

I am not sure I have never used any of it. I believe that back when Ray had his Aprilia Tuono V-twin and the gas station did not have high Octane Gas he would add some type of boost. I think he said the engine would knock otherwise. 

I own old cars and new ones may adjust automatically but if you drive to high altitudes you may actually do better with a lower Octane number. In this neck of the woods 95 is common to see at a gas station and sometimes even 97. In some high altitude towns you may see no more then 93 - I think I remember one station that only went to 89 .

I had to switch from 87 to 89 for my KLR650. When using 87 the engine pinged and rattled like a diesel. When using 89 the engine has a "normal" sound to it. Not sure why a Global "cheapy" bike needs the higher tang. The book has it written in a "vague" manner what to use. Basically, if it knocks and pings, use next higher octane. My guess is the build specs in Malaysia, (where this KLR was built) are not of a high degree of accuracy.

Could it be something needs to be replaced or adjusted? No alterations have been done.

Chris, anything that makes the engine run hotter than it was designed to run can increase the possibility of preignition(pinging). This includes carbon buildup on valves, combustion chambers, and piston crowns. The carbon can incrementally increase compression which creates more heat.  The carbon can also create hot spots that will start combustion before the spark plug does, and the resulting 2 flame fronts collide which culminates in the rattle that you hear. Lean carburetion also increases heat. A freer-flowing exhaust installed without fuel system changes can also do this. Partially clogged jets, low fuel level, a vacuum leak in carbureted engines. Partially clogged fuel injectors, low fuel pump pressure in injected engines. Think of an O2cytelene torch-you turn down the fuel or turn up the oxygen and the flame gets hotter. Incorrect heat-range spark plugs, too far advanced ignition timing, valves with too little clearance can all do this as well as tight valves run hotter--not enough time spent on their valve seats to shed heat. Gearing up increases engine load, creates more heat--same possible result. Cooling system issues in water-cooled engines, same deal. Using higher than recommended octane fuel  long-term can also contribute to pinging. The octane-boosting components in the higher grades create more carbon, hot spots, compression, runs hotter...and pinging can occur.

The thing to do is make absolutely sure all tune settings are correct, de-carbonize the engine if necessary, make sure the carburetor/injection system is as it should be. If all that is OK, THEN you run to a higher octane. Otherwise you may be masking a problem, not solving it. It's fortunate that motorcycles do not have EGR valves like the cars and trucks, or we'd be playing with them for pinging complaints.

• Upvote 2

Other than those things, not much can go wrong, huh?  Wow!

• Upvote 2