DemonDuck

BMW 335I build.

Ok I didn't know if anyone was interested at all but I will put it in here just in case (I know its a car but still).  This will be a long build that will go little by little.  So BMW list 300 HP and 300 LBS of torque to start with.  I plan to get it to about 500 with as little money invested as possible.  Started it yesterday with a home made DCI (dual cone intake).  All the stuff you can by online cost about 150 on the lower end up to 600 or so for the nice stuff.  I purchased the filters on sale for about $20 and spent another $20 or so on a couple adapters (actually exhaust reducers but it works) and took about 2 hours to install it.  Mainly because I had to run back and forth to get the sizes perfect (should have done better research).  The work itself took maybe 30 min.  After just that one thing done you can actually hear the turbo's spool up faster and it cut down on lag.  Feels like it has more power but it could all be in my head..... either way I am going on a long trip in a couple days so I will get some real world info on MPG and more on how it feels to my dyno foot. 

After I get home today I am going to tune it which should do a good bit of a power boost but I will post more on that after it is done and give the cost rundown on it as well.

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine out west had one for a while. We used to take it up in the mountains near LA when I would visit and even stock it was impressive !

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Road_Runner said:

A friend of mine out west had one for a while. We used to take it up in the mountains near LA when I would visit and even stock it was impressive !

It is a fun ride as it is for sure.  I just gotta see how much fun it is running it with 500 hp and 500 lbs of torque.  :o

• Upvote 1

I'll follow this thread :)

I turbo-charged a miata not too long ago, that was a fun ride at 300+hp and no weight at all.

• Upvote 1

Manual or auto? N54?

500 probably isn't going to happen on stock turbos. 

Your best bet will be intakes, catless downpipes, intercooler, and a JB4 with mhd backend for E85. Or meth could also work. Hopefully your car had the hpfp replaced. With all that through a manual trans you should see ~450 at the wheels. I'd also have some spare coil packs on hand. With no lsd, not sure I'd even want that much power at the rear wheels. Spin city can get dangerous. 

Good luck! Will be following this thread.

• Upvote 1

It is an auto N54.  Only things done so far are the intake and the MHD tune.  Even with just that I can feel a good increase in response and it seems more power as well.  I would be happy with the 450 if I could get that with what I am planning to do.  I will be ordering the FMIC, catless downpipes, and charge pipe soon then I will install the stuffs and load a different tune into it and see what happens.  I will likely toy with it a bit on the mix of E85 to see how it goes after the upgrades are done.

• Upvote 1

Ok so I am ready to buy parts but am having an issue with one hard decision.  Black or silver intercooler?  On one hand you will see the silver much better but then do I really care?  Also will the silver cool better?  I know that sounds a little silly but it of course would not have the coating on it which might hold heat a little better but I am not engineer so I have no idea.  Anyone with some input on this?

I would say the silver would reflect heat back from the rest of the engine compartment. It does attract more attention though. My Miata had a bright silver intercooler and I liked it. It went well with the silver car / black wheels.

• Upvote 1

Yea I am thinking the black might not cool as well or at least has a chance that it will happen that way so I think I will go with the silver but I do like the idea of the more stock look the black would give...... meh... idk

Ok the decision was made for me.  They where out of the silver and upped the price rather than saying they are sold out.  After talking to the manufacturer they told me that the black might possibly run a couple of degrees cooler but that wouldn't do much of anything for the IAT so it was a moot point.  I don't mind it being stealthy so it should look just fine to me.... and saving money is always good.  More money to put into the BOV.

• Upvote 1

Parts are supposed to be in today but I found out the downpipes are on backorder and will take about 3 to 4 weeks longer.  Add to that I have a pressurized coolant tank that is leaking but I always expect things to go a bit wrong.  The tank I am hoping is just something that wasn't a great design and has worn with time to the point of leaking now.  However I checked it out this weekend with the motor running, cap off so I could watch what was going on and noticed that I have bubbles coming up in the reservoir which hints to the possibility of the start of a head gasket leak.  Tonight I plan to put my tester on the tank and see if it is exhaust gas that is leaking into the tank.  If so then I know for sure and will order the parts needed and start pulling the upper motor apart (I hope the test comes back negative and its just the system trying to pressurize the tank saving me some money and a bunch of time).

So the new coolant tank came in and I went to work right after I got home from work yesterday.  Everything went great and I had it installed in all of maybe 20 minutes.  Then I realized I would want to use antifreeze instead of just water because of the ammount of fluid I had lost and I dont want to forget later.  Would you believe that finding coolant that will work in a BMW is difficult?  I had to do a good bit a searching but after about 2 hours I found one that would work .... expensive but it will be fine.  After putting it in I went to bleed the system and of couse an issue came up but at least it came up right away.  The upper hose was leaking at the connection point to the tank.  Well after a minute I find that the issue is that the nipple on the tank is just a little smaller than the one on the OE tank.  I spent the rest of the night trying to find other options and ended up ordering another of the same tank hoping it was a defect with just this tank.  We will see.  Now to drain it without loosing my $24 coolant I just put in lol.

48 minutes ago, DemonDuck said:

So the new coolant tank came in and I went to work right after I got home from work yesterday.  Everything went great and I had it installed in all of maybe 20 minutes.  Then I realized I would want to use antifreeze instead of just water because of the ammount of fluid I had lost and I dont want to forget later.  Would you believe that finding coolant that will work in a BMW is difficult?  I had to do a good bit a searching but after about 2 hours I found one that would work .... expensive but it will be fine.  After putting it in I went to bleed the system and of couse an issue came up but at least it came up right away.  The upper hose was leaking at the connection point to the tank.  Well after a minute I find that the issue is that the nipple on the tank is just a little smaller than the one on the OE tank.  I spent the rest of the night trying to find other options and ended up ordering another of the same tank hoping it was a defect with just this tank.  We will see.  Now to drain it without loosing my $24 coolant I just put in lol.

That's a big reason I sold my M3. Everything was a chore, even to change a battery, you have to take to the dealer to 'register' the new battery... a lot of BS. But I do miss it.

• Upvote 1

Honda (cars anyway) are like that with fluids.  My '08 Accord it says that anything except Honda ATF (would have) VOIDED the warranty...   Dumb!  

17 hours ago, Speed said:

That's a big reason I sold my M3. Everything was a chore, even to change a battery, you have to take to the dealer to 'register' the new battery... a lot of BS. But I do miss it.

Well I got around the battery thing by downloading an app to the phone that allows me to do many things the dealership does.  It was a cheap fix all in all plus I can read codes and change all the car settings and such.  I am learning to keep a few things on hand that I might need to save me some $$.  I will order a gallon of the BMW antifreeze in its pure form so that I have it on hand any time I need it which will allow me to purchase it for a good price.

• Like 1

How does the phone connect to the car? Bluetooth?

I have 2 systems.  One is Bluetooth which is the one that I read codes from and change car settings.  I can do things like the battery registration and reset service reminders.  The other one connects the phone to the car with a cable that I can change the tune of the car and such.

• Upvote 1

Ok I guess I need to update this with some pictures and such.  I got the FMIC in and the new map installed.  I have not had a chance to test it out much yet and don't expect much of a change yet seeing as I still need to get the down pipes in and the charge pipe and BOV. 

In any case I also got the new coolant tank in .... and it was the same as the other new tank that leaked from the return hose so I got my money back and went to the dealership and got the OE tank from them.  Sadly the return hose still had a leak but it wasn't near as bad and I realized that the old tank must have expanded some making the nipple stretch the hose connection as well soooo..... I went back to the dealer and got a new hose and installed it as well and we are not all sealed up and holding plenty of pressure.

Home made CAI.

20170804_1807461.jpg

20170804_1807371.jpg

• Upvote 1

These are the FMIC.  The black one is the new one which is much bigger than the OE one.

20170804_1806411.jpg

20170804_1806471.jpg

20170804_1807181.jpg

• Upvote 1

Got the new charge pipe installed and BOV Saturday.  It sounds freaking great when I let off the gas and the BOV lets the pressure off.  Now just gotta wait for the downpipes to come in then I will get those on and change the tune to stage 2.  Then I might find a dyno to see what the car puts out.  I am also thinking about pulling the turbo's off and rebuilding/upgrading them a bit..... I found the rebuild kits and when I was looking for those I found a upgraded turbo wheel.  If I do that I might remove the stock waste gates and add aftermarket waste gates.  We will see.

• Upvote 1

Anything new on your build?

Not yet.  Still waiting for the downpipes to come in.  As soon as they do I will take more pictures and do the install then report.

Ok downpipes are installed and I am playing with the flash to get the right mix of E85 in ...... I also flashed the transmission and now it has the same transmission as an automatic M3.  What this means is that if I put it in manual it will hit the rev limiter without shifting unless I tell it to shift.  Also it will blip the gas to match revs during shifts when needed and such while also having much faster shifts.  Overall I am very happy but need to figure out how to fit more tire under the car because I spin a bunch.  (but drifting is fun also).  Pics will be added soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can you fit M3 wheels on it? That should give you more grip.