reed12b

MCRA Gateway Trackday August 5 and 6

reed12b    749

Who's going to Gateway in August? This is the first of only two local trackdays, so if you are wanting to do a track day but holding back due to the expense, this is the least expense option for anyone local.  

Also, we have to put up about 15 sections of air fence and over 400 bales of hay in various sections of the track.  Setup begins at 1:00 on Friday the 4th.  Anyone who comes out to help gets an entry for a giveaway of a free track day.  And you also get to setup your pit after the setup work is done.  

• Upvote 4

I'm signed up for Saturday.

How long does the setup usually take? I'm happy to come help, but 6:30 or so is the earliest I could get there. 

• Upvote 1

Speed    2,608

I might, but it will be last minute, depending on weather mainly. Let's see if I can do one at Gateway without breaking a bike :)

• Upvote 5

GSXR55    344

I signed up for Sunday.  Will probably show up for setup Friday even though I never win anything...

• Upvote 3

crash    9,335

I haven't signed up yet... But I might.

• Upvote 1

stiffneck    982

Signed up and ready to go. Although, if the track is the same as last year, or worse. I'll just keep going to Putnam or Barber or Grattan or Heartland or Hallet or Jennings or :) or until the truck runs out of fuel.

• Upvote 1

stiffneck    982
7 hours ago, Road_Runner said:

I think they are about finished by then ?

Some times, very unpredictable :rolleyes:

stiffneck    982
8 hours ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

How long does the setup usually take? I'm happy to come help, but 6:30 or so is the earliest I could get there. 

If you can't make any sooner, just paddock with us, no one will mind or notice.

Barry, myself and others are on the east side in one or two spots in the 18 thru 22ish sections.

50/50 if where still working or all done.

You staying up here, or riding/driving all the way back home?

• Upvote 1

stiffneck    982

stiffneck    982
8 minutes ago, stiffneck said:

4 hours ago, crash said:

I haven't signed up yet... But I might.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stiffneck said:

If you can't make any sooner, just paddock with us, no one will mind or notice.

Barry, myself and others are on the east side in one or two spots in the 18 thru 22ish sections.

50/50 if where still working or all done.

You staying up here, or riding/driving all the way back home?

I'll probably just drive up early and set up in the morning, that's what I did last year. Sounds like it wouldn't be all that worthwhile to hurry up there Friday evening. 

• Upvote 2

DemonDuck    170

I am going to try and sign up for this one.  If I don't I will come out and spectate a bit at the very least.

• Upvote 2

GSXR55    344

Anybody use Track Addict for lap timings via phone?  I tried it today and found that it automatically shoots video.  On run up to gas station I got some nice footage of my tach... 

Repointed it out the screen and it captured ok but wobbly vid.

Gonna give it a try this weekend instead of Racechrono.  

crash    9,335

If you have a transponder you can get live lap times from our timing system via an app, assuming they hook it up at Gateway. I used to use trackmaster and create an overlay from the data onto my GoPro/Contour videos. Example:

• Upvote 1

GSXR55    344

What you've got is awesome. Someday... I don't have transponder.  Race-chrono works fine for lap times and straight line speeds but traces the 'line's around turns wonky; probably due to not using external GPS device but thought I'd try a different app; unlikely to improve that but will see.    Then found it has video which is a plus. Not sure if it overlays onto map...

crash    9,335

Just to be clear, the video I made was not using the transponder but using an app called Trackmaster on my phone. I also have a bluetooth GPS that I strap to my bike so the phone gets the GPS data from the device rather than from it's internal GPS which has less resolution. You're more than welcome to use my bluetooth GPS since I haven't turned it on the last several track days.

reed12b    749

I solved the wonky lines issue with an external GPS receiver.  It was about $90 bucks, but it improves the accuracy of the GPS data to keep the representation of the bike on the track. It is a Qstarz 818.  Here is a step by step guide from Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTJQbAoHwvg

crash    9,335

That's the same one I have. Mike is more than welcome to use mine. I switched my lap timer over to a sundial. No batteries needed.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

GSXR55    344
2 hours ago, reed12b said:

I solved the wonky lines issue with an external GPS receiver.  It was about $90 bucks, but it improves the accuracy of the GPS data to keep the representation of the bike on the track. It is a Qstarz 818.  Here is a step by step guide from Youtube:

Thanks! 

This showed up on the same page in youtube for some reason and I found it to be more intriguing...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lynzQ_MGho

crash    9,335

I suppose I should be heading out to the garage and switch BGD2 over to track mode.

• Upvote 2

MaximumJEFF    347
On July 24, 2017 at 0:43 PM, Irresponsible_Robot said:

I was there until midnight once...

• Thanks 2

crash    9,335

Or I could just put some tape on the mirrors and send it I suppose. Might just do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

reed12b    749
4 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

Thanks! 

This showed up on the same page in youtube for some reason and I found it to be more intriguing...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lynzQ_MGho

You have way too much time on your hands, you need to get busy doing something!  LOL

Yea, I ran into a few of that chicks Youtube videos before, she is just barely above being a stripper!  But I guess they are making money off of showing off her ageless body.

crash    9,335

I need to start making videos like that for the ladies. I could probably make at least 17 cents.

• Haha 2