GSXR55

Drag Racing at Gateway

Is anyone interested in doing this?  I want to do in September if possible.  Would be good group activity I think.  

• Upvote 3

Maybe. What are the dates?

Wait, there's another track there BESIDES the road course?  Wha?!

:D

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, crash said:

Maybe. What are the dates?

Remaining dates. August 11, September 1, September 15, October 27, November 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I want to shoot for Friday 9/15, "Midnight Madness".  This link has 'all' the information.  $25 to participate and $15 to spectate.  

http://www.gatewaymsp.com/racers/

Here are some of the rules:  http://www.gatewaymsp.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MM-17-Policy-and-Procedures.pdf

I saw the suit requirements somewhere and will find again and post later.   I think leathers are required.  

• Like 1

According to the procedures link just long pants and closed shoes are required for drivers.

Q. What is the clothing requirement to race my MOTORCYCLE at Gateway Motorsports Park?

A. What is required depends on the speed* you will run down the drag strip.

Slower than 120 MPH (1/4th) Helmet, Gloves, Closed toed Shoes, long pants, leather jacket.

Quicker than 120 MPH (1/4th) Full leathers that zip together at the waist.

*Consult NHRA Rule book for full listing of clothing requirements

Just to give you an idea of what group you'll fall in. My '99 R6 trapped at 126mph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can foresee an uncontrolled wheelie in my future if I participate... I may come watch if a bunch of you do it.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I may be good for this. My buddy got me thinking about drag racing a couple weeks ago when he posted his times from racing his mustang. I haven't run down the 1/4 mile in prolly a decade

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, yzfr6i said:

Q. What is the clothing requirement to race my MOTORCYCLE at Gateway Motorsports Park?

A. What is required depends on the speed* you will run down the drag strip.

Slower than 120 MPH (1/4th) Helmet, Gloves, Closed toed Shoes, long pants, leather jacket.

Quicker than 120 MPH (1/4th) Full leathers that zip together at the waist.

*Consult NHRA Rule book for full listing of clothing requirements

Just to give you an idea of what group you'll fall in. My '99 R6 trapped at 126mph.

Just saw that. Chris is over there running his Duc right now:

I've been thinking about doing this as well. Last time I was at the 1/4 mile track was the 1980's B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd be in for it I got on Noisey one I'd like to run down the track. 🏍💨🇮🇹🏁

• Upvote 1

*** The date for Midnight Madness got changed to 9/22.  It WAS 9/15 but there's a Hot Rod Magazine event that bumped it ***   

Tech starts at 6:00 and racing starts at 7:00, until about 1:00.  

Will talk about at meeting tonight.  

Dammit, I wanted to bring the FJ down for this but I won't have it in town. I'd be down to run the speed triple again I guess. Last time I did 11.6 @116. Should give you 600's a good run >:)

*** I just posted this on the FB page also.  Please check-in there if you're going if you're on FB, otherwise just mention here *** 

Next Friday night (9/22), weather permitting, is the long-awaited Midnight Madness event at Gateway MSP. Hopefully we'll have a good turnout! Cost is $25 to participate and $15 to watch. This is an event for 'streetable' bikes; full leathers/gloves/boots/full-face helmet required if your bike can do > 120. See the Gateway website for all rules/regs/etc.

I've never done this and in fact was just reading moto-drag-racing for dummies earlier. So if you're new also, don't worry, you won't be alone!

Any 'competition' between the members of this group will be strictly for bragging rights and I guess we can make it up as we go after seeing who shows up and if there are any serious competitors or not... Will be have 'special prizes' for best back-flip, best save from out of control wheelie, most stalls/blown launches/red lights, etc.

The gates open at 6:00 and then you register and do tech inspection and stage for your first run, where you get priority.

I plan on being there at 6:00 and will line up for tech inspection about 6:30 with whoever else is there by then. After that, we'll have to figure out how to join up with others who come later.

Please go to the events tab and click the 'attending' button if you're coming.

• Like 1

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. I really want to do this, just have to decide which bike to use :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stiffneck said:

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. I really want to do this, just have to decide which bike to use :)

I'd bring the SV1k if I were you. It'd be fun to run it against my speed triple.

I would love to do this, I have not hit a drag strip since the 70's!! Damn I am old.  But my daughter just brought her first house and as usual, for the last 6 years in a row, Dad is helping her move.

Joe suggested that we meet at gas station across the street then go to the track about 6:30.   Let's do that unless someone has a better plan.

• Upvote 1

sounds good to me. Too bad I don't have any ratchet straps for the front :(

22 hours ago, mangosmoothie said:

sounds good to me. Too bad I don't have any ratchet straps for the front :(

Is that to hold front down; keep forks from extending?  (I didn't really buy drag racing for dummies...) :D

Walmart has ratchet straps :lol:

Just make sure to trim the excess so they don't get tangled into your wheels.