GSXR55

Drag Racing at Gateway

I will do this.  I know I have been away for a bit ... work has been crazy but I use to do the drag strip in Texas now and then and it was a blast.  I also need to take the car out there one day.  Of course this is assuming that I don't have to work Friday night.  I will probably trailer the bike..... Now I gotta look and see if I have any half decent rear tires to throw on the bike for this.

• Upvote 1

1/4 mile for Midnight Madness.  It's 1000 feet still for NHRA I believe.  

2 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

Is that to hold front down; keep forks from extending?  (I didn't really buy drag racing for dummies...) :D

Yeah, helps with weight transfer once you're good/consistent at launching, which I'm not. Lol

So, I was thinking about letting the front preload all the way out so it would sit lower and maxing rebound but latter prob insignificant.  

???

You guys do whatever you want. I'm putting my saddle bags on and filling them with beer. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, crash said:

You guys do whatever you want. I'm putting my saddle bags on and filling them with beer. :)

Hate to be a downer, but I don't think they let outside alcohol in...   

49 minutes ago, crash said:

Pretty sure that was just an attempt at a joke. :)

Do you feel the burn .... it's awful quiet in here. You better stick with wheelies.

Honestly I have been down the drag strip a few times and never felt I needed to worry about changing anything on the bike.  I don't even lower the rear tire pressure.  Strapping the front down might be worth while and would surely shave some time off the clock but as long as its not for money it will be a while before I start lowering the bike and stretching the swingarm and so on.

I'm actually going to raise the pressure in my tires, no joke. Lowering the pressure would only create more friction and drag. The only reason to lower the pressure would be if you have a grip issue. I don't have a grip issue in a straight line.

• Upvote 2

I would think that would reduce the contact patch though...?

Exactly the point. Reduced contact patch = less friction. Less friction = faster.  As long as the tire isn't slipping I would think the smaller the better. As long as the front is still coming up and the wheel isn't spinning the contact patch could be smaller.

2 minutes ago, crash said:

Exactly the point. Reduced contact patch = less friction. As long as the tire isn't slipping I would think the smaller the better. As long as the front is still coming up and the wheel isn't spinning the contact patch could be smaller.

Right, but even if wheel isn't freely spinning, it does slip and larger contact patch would give less slip, right?  

If my front is off the ground it doesn't matter if there is a little slip or not, there is "enough" traction to give maximum acceleration. Increasing traction will not give more acceleration because you are bound by the wheelie limit. Once in a high enough gear to where there isn't enough power to raise the front, there also isn't enough power for the wheel to slip.

I just did a search and found this which basically says exactly what I was thinking:

http://www.bbnovaracing.com/content/top-10-drag-racing-tips-pros

(2) Contrary to Popular Belief, More Tire Pressure is Better, to a Point

A lot goes into launching a race car.  suspension parts, geometry, weight distribution, power control, etc, all play a major part in moving the car out of the hole.  One of the easiest things to control is tire pressure. However, there's a common misconception regarding low tire pressure.  I'm sure the root of this comes from street racers attempting to make their DOT tires more like slicks.  But when it comes to getting the quickest E.T., more tire pressure is better, to a point.  The lower the tire pressure, the more a tire will give to conform to the pavement surface.  Hence more friction; more friction = quicker 60 foot times.  However, when a powerful drag car is equipped with slicks, side-wall wrinkle happens due to the amount of torque the car is placing on the tires.  That wrinkle is lost forward momentum, and therefore lost E.T.  Each track will have it's own "sweet spot" for tire pressure, but the following steps will help you locate where to have your cars tire pressure.  Start low, keep increasing until there's spin.  This technique will take a few test passes to get the right amount.  Start with a low amount of tire pressure.  For slicks, this may be around 7 lbs of tire pressure.  Provided the rest of the car is set up correctly, you should plant the tires with no spin, and be on your way.  However, to improve your 60 foot times, up the tire pressure by .5 increments and make a new test pass until you get tire spin. Protip: A camcorder and slow motion can help spot tire spin.  Once you have found where the car wants to spin the tires, back the pressure back down .5-1 lbs of pressure.  Now you have set your tires to the optimal pressure!

Makes sense.  I'm probably better off with a little more tire slippage anyway since that'll reduce the wheelies.  I know you're supposed to pull clutch back in to control but I'm more likely to back off if too much/too quickly...   Some say 42# is good for stock setup.  Will try today.  Currently about 33.  Will increase front too.

Yeah, I have 33 front and rear normally but I think increasing would help "slightly". I'm sure going to the bathroom before the run would probably help more.

• Haha 1

I just pulled out a giant 8.1 pound behemoth of a battery and replaced it with a 1.75 pound lithium iron.

• Upvote 1

Speedy started. Thought it was a 2 stroke but that's ok. Gotta keep the valve guides lubed am I right? Just gonna send itttttttttttttttt

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

50/50 I'll make tonight ?

• Upvote 1

Not the greatest weather for drag racing. High temps = lower power. I guess it will affect us all fairly equally though. :)

7 hours ago, stiffneck said:

50/50 I'll make tonight ?

Which 50?

The 50 year old who worked out side 4 of 5 days this week ? Don't have the juice like I used to. Might be good for tomorrow ? Thanks for posting, maybe next time ?

• Haha 1