OhNoItsBonnie!

Brake pads

One of my front brake pads has broke in half.  Came loose from where it bonds to the metal and then broke in the middle.  They all have a ton of life left and I havent been anywhere heavy enough on them to get them supet hot so I figure its just a fluke.

They are the factory nissin brand and I usually just go with EBC replacements like most seem to do and they are always satisfactory.

A google search on the rc51 forums and many highly recomend the HRC pads but they are like $200 a set.

Anybody recomend a better or less inexpensive pad than the ebc's for a street sport bike?

All the pads I use are about 200 bucks a set as well. However, Mike can get you a deal for 6 bucks. :)

Its not the stick your foot inbetween the tire and swingarm trick, is it?

Ive ruined many a sneaker doimg that.

Todd you do stuff Im not doing (yet).  Stoppies, track, etc...

Would you still pay 200 a set if you wherent?

If thats the advisesble route for me, so be it.  I'll sell some more of my furniture and make it happen

I guess it all depends on how bad you want to stop.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes I think I want to stop pretty bad.  

Lets forget about price for the moment.

Do you have a particular brand(s) you would recomend?  

$200 a set? That's a lot. Find some EBC pads. Yours may be just old and that's why they cracked off. Don't waste money on race level stuff unless you can drag your knee and elbow on the ground. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

Sometimes I think I want to stop pretty bad.  

Lets forget about price for the moment.

Do you have a particular brand(s) you would recomend?  

Actually no I don't. I would say generally you can't go wrong with OEM although that's not always the case. On my 600s I ran nothing but OEM pads, lots and lots of them, and I loved them. The Nissan calipers and the OEM pads were awesome on those bikes! Now, the brakes on my 2014 ZX10R were complete crap. From the Tokico calipers to the OEM pads. I still have the Tokico calipers but put steel braided lines on along with Carbone Lorraine racing pads (CL60) and I would still only put them at "okay" compared to the brakes on my 600. They do work better when you get some heat in them (racing). My 2016 came with Brembo calipers (OEM most likely lower end as far as Brembo goes). It also came with braided lines. I thought the OEM brakes were pretty good overall, maybe even as good as the feel of my 600s or possibly better. I am now running Vesrah Super RJL XX pads on the new bike and really like them, but I wouldn't say they are significantly better than OEM. Either way the price is about the same. I think OEM is about 200 bucks same as these Vesrah pads. But I'm sure the cheaper EBC pads would do just fin as well, they've been around a while and a lot of people run them. Before you put different pads on take some simple green and some scotch pads to your rotors.

I'm all about the OEM pads and rotors. I think at least one person will back me up on that. 

Also remember when Jason (Fastford) mixed Galfer and Brembo it turned out badly as I remember.

• Upvote 2

Hey nobody said these things weren't cheap it wasn't until after I got my last bike that I found out it needs a $1500 tuneup at 15,000 miles and they have to take the motor out of it.....oh well........

But it's a hell of a lot of fun and it's cheaper than a therapist 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Speed said:

$200 a set? That's a lot. Find some EBC pads. Yours may be just old and that's why they cracked off. Don't waste money on race level stuff unless you can drag your knee and elbow on the ground. Just my opinion.

Noted.  

Thanks speed!

OEM unless you're doing something that isn't "standard" riding.

7 hours ago, crash said:

Actually no I don't. I would say generally you can't go wrong with OEM although that's not always the case. On my 600s I ran nothing but OEM pads, lots and lots of them, and I loved them. The Nissan calipers and the OEM pads were awesome on those bikes! Now, the brakes on my 2014 ZX10R were complete crap. From the Tokico calipers to the OEM pads. I still have the Tokico calipers but put steel braided lines on along with Carbone Lorraine racing pads (CL60) and I would still only put them at "okay" compared to the brakes on my 600. They do work better when you get some heat in them (racing). My 2016 came with Brembo calipers (OEM most likely lower end as far as Brembo goes). It also came with braided lines. I thought the OEM brakes were pretty good overall, maybe even as good as the feel of my 600s or possibly better. I am now running Vesrah Super RJL XX pads on the new bike and really like them, but I wouldn't say they are significantly better than OEM. Either way the price is about the same. I think OEM is about 200 bucks same as these Vesrah pads. But I'm sure the cheaper EBC pads would do just fin as well, they've been around a while and a lot of people run them. Before you put different pads on take some simple green and some scotch pads to your rotors.

Thanks crash!   I'll definetly clean up my rotors before new pads install.

I noticed something was up when we all left pilot knob yesterday.  I could feel a slight periodic grinding in my brake lever.  Definetly affected the rest my ride.  Dave suggested a good cleaning of my caliper pistons with a tooth brush and cleaner also.  

Was also suggested to check my rotors for flatness.  I did a quick check of that and appeared to be ok, but the forks moved a little too much on the stand to give a accurate measure.  I'll remove the wheel and axle  check it if new pads dont fix

6 hours ago, dogpark said:

I'm all about the OEM pads and rotors. I think at least one person will back me up on that. 

Also remember when Jason (Fastford) mixed Galfer and Brembo it turned out badly as I remember.

Thanks dogpark!  I need to have the bike going again by tommorow evening, so hopefully the surdyke dealership close to where I work has oem or ebc in stock.

I know the rc51 mc that was sold to the public probably has very little in common to the rc51 that HRC used in the pro racing circuits 15ish years ago, but I would still like to think that the oem brake pads that came on it would be more than capable of what I can put it through at my current skill level.  Had a long talk on this today with terry, whom I assume u r refering to

I have a dial indicator and a wheel balancer and can check how much your rotors are warped. If you don't feel them pulsing they're probably not warped. I used to have problems with the rotors warping on my 600s. To my surprise rotors are actually covered on the Kawi warranty and I did get one set free under warranty. Then I realized I could "coax" the warp out of them and have been doing that ever since. :)

23 minutes ago, Joker_PaPa said:

OEM unless you're doing something that isn't "standard" riding.

Thanks Joker!

I still consider myself a noob to the sport bike world so I would think anything Im going to be doing in the next year would be considered "standard" 

20 minutes ago, crash said:

I have a dial indicator and a wheel balancer and can check how much your rotors are warped. If you don't feel them pulsing they're probably not warped. I used to have problems with the rotors warping on my 600s. To my surprise rotors are actually covered on the Kawi warranty and I did get one set free under warranty. Then I realized I could "coax" the warp out of them and have been doing that ever since. :)

I dont have a accurate dial indicator or quick access to one, so if the problem isnt fixed with new pads I will definetly send u a pm if u dont mind

3 hours ago, Dippnet said:

Hey nobody said these things weren't cheap it wasn't until after I got my last bike that I found out it needs a $1500 tuneup at 15,000 miles and they have to take the motor out of it.....oh well........

But it's a hell of a lot of fun and it's cheaper than a therapist 

Ducati, right?

There was a ducati (some sort of limited edition I think) at the ride the week prior.  I think his name was kenny??  Cant remember as I suk at names.   It had a loud scream/grinding due to the open clutch basket I was told.   And that thing just screamed bad-ass!!!

A ducati is one of those bikes Ive always wanted to own, but for some reason my gut tells me I wont, and I dont even know why, lol

I dunno how it is on the water-cooled ones, but checking the valve clearances on an air-cooled Duc like mine is actually super easy - it just takes time to get access to the rear cylinder. That Panigale doesn't even have a timing belt to deal with!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

I dunno how it is on the water-cooled ones, but checking the valve clearances on an air-cooled Duc like mine is actually super easy - it just takes time to get access to the rear cylinder. That Panigale doesn't even have a timing belt to deal with!

These are the kind of things I need to hear thanks I'm just repeating what I was told I'm going to be researching the situation a little more I have 4000 more miles to go so for now I'm going to start riding the Daytona because the Ducati honeymoon is over. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

Ducati, right?

There was a ducati (some sort of limited edition I think) at the ride the week prior.  I think his name was kenny??  Cant remember as I suk at names.   It had a loud scream/grinding due to the open clutch basket I was told.   And that thing just screamed bad-ass!!!

A ducati is one of those bikes Ive always wanted to own, but for some reason my gut tells me I wont, and I dont even know why, lol

Every time I  would be by Moto Europa I would look at the Ducati panegale and saying to myself I will never be able to get one of these but  I would always say ...some day. Well when I lost my awesome mom ( Dorothy) in February,shortly after she settled into heaven she sent  me the Ducati I thought I was never going to have. Dot knew I importance having fun. Some are tired of hearing the story,I will never be tired of telling it.So I put it on the plate?

IMG_0833.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

22 hours ago, crash said:

All the pads I use are about 200 bucks a set as well. However, Mike can get you a deal for 6 bucks. :)

Better yet, if these fit, he can test them for me...

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2017 at 8:03 PM, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

Thanks Joker!

I still consider myself a noob to the sport bike world so I would think anything Im going to be doing in the next year would be considered "standard" 

I've had a sport bike now for 6 years and still consider myself a noob. When I get to the point that I consider myself anything else is about the time I'll go down.