mangosmoothie

Mango's mad project

I had a 44t on the rear. Went down to a 40 and I like it better. I was barely into the power band of 4th and hit 50. probably has 60+ in it but I have no desire to find out. 

This thing pulls HARD. It isn't all that fast since the power band is narrow and the gears are short, but when it's in the power band it's pulling. I'd definitely like to race a grom or z125 if anyone is down. 

The Grom and z125 are 4-strokes and don't have that kind of power hit of the 2-stroke. The 65 probably has twice the power of a Grom. You should have rode up to Springfield with me yesterday to watch the mini road races. I am buddies with about half of the riders, a couple of them were on Groms, and one on a Z125. Adam crashed out of the main event or probably would have finished somewhere around 3rd:

https://www.facebook.com/CentralillinoisMiniMoto/posts/1960929304130016

22281741_1960929247463355_60513872652932

Young Delaney won the race and the season championship. She's only like 13 years old and can ride that bike! She also broke the track record yesterday:

22365150_1960929257463354_60826135011919

• Upvote 2

oh yeah, I've ridden a grom. This motorbicycle pulls way harder once it's on the pipe, but idk if it's faster in a race scenario. takes a second to get into the powerband and the grom might be too far ahead by then.

Actually you have to know how to ride a 2-stroke. You should always have it in the power band. If it's not you slip the clutch until it is. That's when racing of course.

And the obligatory James Stewart on a 125:

Motocross died for me when they switched over to 4-stroks.

• Sad 1

Ah, here's a perfect example. Watch this guy work the clutch in this front view.

I was thinking about racing against a Grom with my R1 but because they keep winning against that GSXR I chickend out.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Road_Runner said:

I was thinking about racing against a Grom with my R1 but because they keep winning against that GSXR I chickend out.

You might have a chance since Mike blames it on the fact that he only has a 750.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Road_Runner said:

BE.  VERY.  AFRAID!

• Haha 3

hard to keep it in the power band because it just wheelies in 1st and 2nd :) 

that is interesting though. I'll try to braze some supports on the frame and get a little rougher with it. I'm waiting for the tire to spin on the rim 

You control wheelies with the clutch as well, just like you do with a 4-stroke when launching. When you master the clutch you should always be able to keep maximum power to the wheel while staying within the wheelie limit, which is true for both 2 and 4-stroke, but way more of an art on the 2-stroke because of the much narrower power band. It becomes easy and automatic with a little practice though. Basically you just keep the engine at it's full power (AKA WFO) and use your clutch like a throttle to meter that power as needed to the wheel.

Never rode a later model 2-stroke sport/roadrace bike. Always thought it would be fun though. :) 

On 10/9/2017 at 8:36 PM, Road_Runner said:

On 10/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, GSXR55 said:

BE.  VERY.  AFRAID!

Last time it was a 995 Triumph, 750 Suzuki, 1400 Kawasaki and a new 1290 KTM...

Sony beat us again <_<

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, crash said:

Never rode a later model 2-stroke sport/roadrace bike. Always thought it would be fun though. :) 

• Like 1

lowered the gearing on the rear so it's a bit more manageable. Power wheelies in 1st, but manageable. 

Trying to get a speedo hooked up to it.