Dippnet

Changing tires

I am interested in getting schooled on changing tires.  Trying to figure out if I want to invest into the  equipment.  Is there  any professors out there. 

I've used the nomar machines. I think it' better than a spoon. Everyone has seen me. I'm a small guy. Nomar is easier for me. But when mounting stiff tires like some pirelli or bridgestones, I still struggle.

After using three different pneumatic machines, that's all I'd want. New ones are probably $1k, so no small investment. But now it's almost $20/wheel at shops. So if you're going to change tires 25 times, it paid for itself. Not to mention time saved from having to wait for other people and drive places. One of our members has a pneumatic machine so I go to him when I need tires done. I just don't like to physically fight and struggle. The pneumatic machines are just so easy to use. New no mars are also $400+, so not exactly cheap either. 

So is it worth it to invest in your own equipment? I think it comes down to cost vs other available options. I'd rather pay $1k for a pneumatic than $400 for a nomar, but that's me. I'd also rather just go to my friend's house once or twice a year and give him some monies for letting me use his machine than fork over $1k. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Articles.asp?ID=256

This is using the No Mar tools ... the concepts are the same. Bead Breaking... Compressing the tire in the right places... lube... lube is your friend.

How To's at the bottom of the page.... watch the extras... they are funny.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I will be investing in a no-mar before next spring.  I'll post up when I get one and anybody who wants to come try it out will be more than welcome to it.

I believe they are manufactured or distributed here local?  Crestwood maybe?  I'm to lazy to post a link to their website

• Upvote 1

Fenton. Yeah, Sue and Steve Nemish own the place (along wtih Mototire USA).

11+ years with my pneumatic tire changer, and I wouldn’t  want any other machine. Over 350 motorcycle tires changed on it in my garage. Let the machine do the work instead of you. Advantages:  No to low effort tire changes. Takes minimal floor space. Very quick in operation.  Disadvantages: relatively expensive, heavy, requires compressed air and/or electric power.  I acquired mine used, mounted it on swivel casters, and needs compressed air only. If you want to see or use my changer you’re welcome to it. Many in Stlar have seen it in operation or have used it themselves.   Terry

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the info Terry.  I'll talk to you at the meeting. 

I have a nomar machine myself. It works very well on a large variety of tires. I worked for Nomar for a year and changed quite a few tires with them. Honestly the more you do it the easier it gets. At one BMW event over three days we changed 200 tires. One guy removing from the bike, one balancing the wheels. I was changing the tires faster than the other guy could balance them. 

• Upvote 2

I changed Lance's car tires on my No-Mar as well. I also have the dirt bike rim attachments and changed my buddy's 690 tires. I still don't know if I am any faster on the No-Mar than I am with a set of spoons but I'm pretty fast with a set of spoons. The nice thing is I don't have to bend over quite as much. :)

• Upvote 1

No-Mar is very nice but if you want to save money get the harbor freight tire machine then you can buy adaptors that go on it to keep it from scratching the rim.  Get the No-Mar bar because it is much better and your set at a fraction of the cost.  I have used the harbor freight version of the No-Mar with the adaptors for a good while now and it works just fine.  That said the No-Mar is a much better machine.... just not worth the price difference to me.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Terry  for the educational evening on changing tires  and pressing in new bearings in my rear wheel.  This is a great club with lots of experience I very much enjoy being a part of.  Aaron thanks for sticking around and helping out. :headbang:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

GLAD to lend a hand!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Terry!!! Once again a learning experience and two fresh tires installed at the same time. :) 

And he helped me  on extremely short notice ??

• Like 1

Happy to assist. It’s “a club thing”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a NoMar for a few years and no idea how many tires it has gone thru plus car, trailer and go kart tires. It is not meant for go kart tires and you will hate trying to do them. Some are easy and some will have you taking anti-crazy pills.

Terry has to have the best go without head aches of a manual machine 

Hey Bobby,  been a while! Good seeing you here!

My tire machine was actually built for automotive use. I just figured out what items I needed for scratch-free motorcycle tire changes and luckily,  I found a company that supplies nylon rim clamp covers, a nylon mount/dismount head, and nylon bead breaker and bar covers to make that happen. I’ve also used strips of wide cloth tape on the rim clamps to prevent damage. It’s handled 19” down to Z125/ size rims. I’m sure the No-Mar is a fine piece, I’m just used to my pneumatic machine.

I've changed a "few" tires on both pneumatics and NoMars. With practice, you can be faster with the NoMar. 

2 hours ago, MaximumJEFF said:

I've changed a "few" tires on both pneumatics and NoMars. With practice, you can be faster with the NoMar. 

I've played "Beat the Clock" for 43+ years at new car dealerships and independent shops. Retired, I no longer have to play that game. I dont NEED to be faster. Unless YOU think it is, tire-changing isnt a race. But I will do the job on my pneumatic using less effort, taking up less floor and storage space, and letting the machine do the work. And even at that, the pneumatic takes little time.

There is also time spent replacing the valve stem and balancing. Setting up the balancer and changer, etc. Putting the equipment away, and in some cases reinstalling the wheels on the bike. So I wouldnt sweat the operating time difference between the 2 machines at all.

It is a race for me. The main reason I use a pneumatic is Dunlops. 

1 hour ago, crash said:

Dunlops should be outlawed.

Funny you say that...

With car tires, I noticed that the Dunlops had the highest incidence of out of round and took more weight to balance than most other name-brands.

• Upvote 1

:lol2:

I mustve hit send before I finished that post the other day.  :rolling:

Oh well, the thought has passed.

I do apologize if this has been discussed here before, but has anybody tried counter-act beads instead of wheel weights?  I talked to a guy today that swears by them on his goldwing.

Tire manufacturers will void any tire warranty with them. It will eat the tire from the inside out. I have seen personally rubber balls that form inside the tire from them. And if you change your own tires when you pop the tire off you will have little beads everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

always used them on my Goldwing, I ran a car tire on the rear so it was the best way to balance it.

never had an issue