Dippnet

Changing tires

From some reading I've done here and there on the web, its my understanding there are differant types of beads you can get.  Depending what their made out of, some can be more or less abrasive to the tire and wheel as bud mentioned

Got new tires for the Goldwing.  Took to friendly neighborhood ex-STLAR member's garage.  I gotta mention that the front (tire+wheel) weighs more than the rear.  It is 18" vs 16" and the 'spokes' are big hollow extrusions or whatever, whereas the rear is concave since the mondo brake disk hides the right side; no reason to make it pretty.  But it seems they must have made the weight so heavy on purpose, for stability maybe?  Speaking of large rear disk, I did some brake testing while the old tires were still on this morning.  I never use the back brake by itself for stopping except for gravel, etc., so when I slammed it on at 60 downhill I was amazed at how much stopping power it had; now I guess it's connected to front brake due to the ABS stuff but you could comfortably ride that thing and never touch the front lever.  Total opposite of gixxer where stomping on rear adds a tiny amount of overall stopping power; seems like it's there to give you something else to do other than soil yourself in a dicey situation, but not much else...     

Changing front not too bad.  Dismounting the rear also not TOO bad, but had to do the top side with spoons cuz we couldn't get the wheel down into the no-mar cuz the tire is so thick/stiff.  Then mounting, for the top side, had to use a ratcheting tie-down up at '12 o-clock' to keep that part of the tire down in the 'valley' and 3 spoons inching around the perimeter til we finally got it.  Total horror show.   

I joked beforehand that he should video and show me on youtube as the most pathetic tire changer on the planet.  I believe he has erased the video...   

Removing/installing the rear wheel not as hard as you might imagine.  Some quality time lying on my side with long socket extensions, shifting between first and neutral with my hand as I rotated the wheel to get access to one lug nut at a time, was the worst of it.  I ran into a guy once who says he lays bike over on its right side onto padding; I may try that next time...   

Forgot the pic.  At no time was the hammer used, except on my head...

IMG_20190821_141930.jpg

On 8/21/2019 at 10:08 PM, GSXR55 said:

Got new tires for the Goldwing.  Took to friendly neighborhood ex-STLAR member's garage.  I gotta mention that the front (tire+wheel) weighs more than the rear.  It is 18" vs 16" and the 'spokes' are big hollow extrusions or whatever, whereas the rear is concave since the mondo brake disk hides the right side; no reason to make it pretty.  But it seems they must have made the weight so heavy on purpose, for stability maybe?  Speaking of large rear disk, I did some brake testing while the old tires were still on this morning.  I never use the back brake by itself for stopping except for gravel, etc., so when I slammed it on at 60 downhill I was amazed at how much stopping power it had; now I guess it's connected to front brake due to the ABS stuff but you could comfortably ride that thing and never touch the front lever.  Total opposite of gixxer where stomping on rear adds a tiny amount of overall stopping power; seems like it's there to give you something else to do other than soil yourself in a dicey situation, but not much else...     

Changing front not too bad.  Dismounting the rear also not TOO bad, but had to do the top side with spoons cuz we couldn't get the wheel down into the no-mar cuz the tire is so thick/stiff.  Then mounting, for the top side, had to use a ratcheting tie-down up at '12 o-clock' to keep that part of the tire down in the 'valley' and 3 spoons inching around the perimeter til we finally got it.  Total horror show.   

I joked beforehand that he should video and show me on youtube as the most pathetic tire changer on the planet.  I believe he has erased the video...   

Removing/installing the rear wheel not as hard as you might imagine.  Some quality time lying on my side with long socket extensions, shifting between first and neutral with my hand as I rotated the wheel to get access to one lug nut at a time, was the worst of it.  I ran into a guy once who says he lays bike over on its right side onto padding; I may try that next time...   

The reason braking on a Goldwing is different is because when you push the rear brake lever it activates all 3 calipers. Hence the reason you have so many front brake lines and bleed screws on the front. 

10 hours ago, bud said:

The reason braking on a Goldwing is different is because when you push the rear brake lever it activates all 3 calipers. Hence the reason you have so many front brake lines and bleed screws on the front. 

Haven't found anywhere that says what % of rear pedal goes to front, but it must be a lot.  Not enough in my testing to make the front abs shudder but it stops ya right shortly.  Stopping with front only not bad but you really want to at least feather the rear if you need to slow quickly.  I shoulda tried harder to do a stoppie but I have the abs a pretty good workout and it's nice and predictable.  Didn't want to overheat and warp the rotors...