Morbo

MotoGP Austin 2018

Let's start planning for a STLAR group trip to Austin for MotoGP next year. Basic details (subject to change):

Changes for the 2018 trip: traveling down on Thursday, 4/19. Past years, we drove down on Friday. With a larger party last year it was realized there's too much fun to be had outside of watching on-track activities and the extra day will allow for the group to partake in other shenanigans at CotA.

(stealing Evan's format from last year's thread....)

Here's the plan:

• Thurs., 4/19 - leave early to get down to Austin that night - 14-hour'ish drive. Assuming we stay in the same place, the hotel is in Buda, TX, just south of Austin (but closer to the track).
  • Fri., 4/20 - No idea how early we'll get to the track on Friday. It's free practice sessions all day. Off the track, the plan is to hit up the vendor tents, do the demo rides, etc., etc. I think basic requirements for demo rides were helmet and shoes so pack accordingly.
  • Sat., 4/21 - Get to the track relatively early, if there's no newbs going then we may not need to get there that early since the veterans will know the track layout and where they like to watch.
  • Sun., 4/22 - Definitely get to the track early to make sure you can get where you want to be. Watch the races (there were discussions of staying for the MotoAmerica races this time), then head home, stopping for the night at a hotel at some point.
  • Mon., 4/23 - Finish the drive home

We've been staying at the Comfort Suites in Buda (https://www.choicehotels.com/texas/buda/comfort-suites-hotels/txc51). The place is decent enough and if you're lucky, you'll get to stalk some Moto3/Moto2 riders. I've already made a reservation for a 2-queen bed room for 4/19 through 4/22. If someone's interested in the other bed let me know, we can split the cost. (Evan, you can have first dibs on being the "big spoon.")

Transportation: Last year, JJ procured the minivan so, assuming he's in for 2018, that's most likely the plan again. For me personally, if I can swing it I'll probably look into flying. I've got the points w/Southwest. I enjoy the camaraderie and the company on the drive , but I like not driving for 14 hours even more. :D

Please post up if you're in... I'll try to keep this main post updated with a roster. 

Roster:

• Morbo (Jason)
  • jjester (JJ)
  • Irresponsible_Robot (Evan)
  • Whatarush (Dave)

• Upvote 1

I'm in, and will take you up on your spoon proposal as well, little friend. :D

I'm hoping to try out an alternate route down there next week, so we maybe won't be dealing with Dallas traffic again. 

• Like 2

Cool... I looked at my points and Southwest airfare and I'm about 95% certain I'll be flying there and back; out of pocket is going to be $11 for fees. I most likely won't be driving there/back with you guys but I'll gladly fill up the van's tank or buy you all a round of beers in exchange for rides to/from the track and dinner.

It is way too early for me to committ to this trip, but it sounds like a blast. Would love to go, but I would also likely fly. That drive in one day is a tough one.

Alternative route was good today, I think that's how we'll go for future trips. :)

Are you sure you weren't just hopped up on painkillers and you just imagined flying there on unicorns? :D 

That's one theory, but ibuprofen usually isn't nearly that much fun. 

• Like 1

Then you're not trying hard enough. 

Can't commit yet but definitely interested. 

1 hour ago, Morbo said:

Then you're not trying hard enough. 

I've been trying so hard I've got blisters.

That... came out wrong. 

...as did that. 

• Haha 2

Bump!

Just ordered my ticket and one parking pass for Lot T (where we parked last year). 

Will be ordering mine after the new year, stupid property taxes.

Waiting on my parenting schedule changes to see if Yousef will be with us for the weekend. If it's too short of a trip we may not make it this year.

GA ticket has been ordered. Probably booking airfare this weekend.

I am definitely out now :(

Yousef has a track meet on Friday and school the other days (Th, Fri, Mon).

• Sad 1

Now we'll definitely need to bypass Dallas!

1 hour ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

Now we'll definitely need to bypass Dallas!

LOL. Pure luck last time.

Mini van and room reserved I just got to put in my vacation and buy tickets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjester said:

Someone just recommend we check this place out when we are down there.
https://franklinbbq.com/

This is relevant to my interests.

I'm in :)

• Like 4