Jump to content
OhNoItsBonnie!

Bent rim suggestions

Recommended Posts

Getting ready to pull the wheels on my rc51 for new tires and noticed the front rim is bent.   Its only on one side and not bad.  Holds air fine and this wouldve happened before me because I certainly wouldve realised I had done it.  I've never felt any vibrations so it would probably be fine to leave it alone, but visually its going to stick out at me everytime I look at it.  

A new wheel is almost $500.

Anybody have any experiance straightening a aluminum rim or know somebody who does?  

For as minimal a bend it would need to get back to straight I would think it would be ok safety wise, but I've no experiance with this before.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry (ZRX4ME) straightened one of my wheels years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big sledge hammer a case of beer and todds garage :)

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to say, I have a 12 pound sledge I used on my 2 ZX6R rims that time I put it in the ditch. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebay, Craigslist or junkyards... About 15 years ago the stock rim on my 2001 eclipse would bend going down a gravel road. Got the grand thought to replace them... A little over a grand thought... Went aftermarket and got away from low profiles and put new tires all for under a grand. The result... A very happy Joker Pa Pa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the size of the hammer, it's knowing where to strike and how hard. The rim repair and tire replacement will occur at the same time here at "Berg Automotive", Aaron doing the majority of the work.

 

As a friend of mine from work once told me..."It's not the size of the vessel, it's the damage done while docking."

    Carry on.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Size doesn't matter? Hmmm, where have I heard that before? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron, don’t be afraid. Fear is when you don’t know what can happen. You know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, crash said:

Size doesn't matter? Hmmm, where have I heard that before? :)

Someone standing behind you in the YMCA Men’s Locker Room?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ZRX4ME said:

Someone standing behind you in the YMCA Men’s Locker Room?

 

Was that you?!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a chance. It was your reflection in a back wall mirror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tires came in. Amazon $273 shipped for q3+. Is that a good deal?  

Went with a 90/55 on the back.

I pulled my wheels and decided to hell with it, if my rim is going to take a beating, I may as well be the one to do it.  

I let the air out, put a rag inbetween a piece of 2x4 and smacked it a few times.  Seemed to do the trick.  I did some youtube watching and most guys will heat it up a bit with a torch, but I didnt want to chance bubbling the paint.

Thanks Terry for the tire remove/install.  I've said that I'm going to get a no-mar, but I'm really starting to think twice and maybe spend the extra few hundred for a pneumatic machine.  That Coats sure is nice!

 

 

 

 

 

 

20171023_182656.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

Tires came in. Amazon $273 shipped for q3+. Is that a good deal?  

Went with a 90/55 on the back.

I pulled my wheels and decided to hell with it, if my rim is going to take a beating, I may as well be the one to do it.  

I let the air out, put a rag inbetween a piece of 2x4 and smacked it a few times.  Seemed to do the trick.  I did some youtube watching and most guys will heat it up a bit with a torch, but I didnt want to chance bubbling the paint.

Thanks Terry for the tire remove/install.  I've said that I'm going to get a no-mar, but I'm really starting to think twice and maybe spend the extra few hundred for a pneumatic machine.  That Coats sure is nice!

 GLAD to lend a hand, AAron.  I'd rather have the machine do the tire work instead of me, the machine takes up less garage space, and it's pretty quick in operation. Not inexpenive, but once you have it (and a good-sized compressor), all you need is a routine and youre good to go. No muss, no fuss. Buy it once  and you'll get a lifetime of use out of it.

7 hours ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

 

 

 

 

 

20171023_182656.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crash said:

What size are the tires?

 120 70 17 $110

190 55 17  $173

Each from a differant seller.

 I'll probably try a differant brand next time around.  I've not been to a track yet and I'm too new/inexperianced/dumb, etc... to give a informative review on the pilot powers I just took off, but I dont have one bad thing to say about them.  With all my bad form and shakyness on my quest to learn how to smoothly lean,  they never lost traction once (cept when I hit gravel a couple times)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZRX4ME said:

 GLAD to lend a hand, AAron.  I'd rather have the machine do the tire work instead of me, the machine takes up less garage space, and it's pretty quick in operation. Not inexpenive, but once you have it (and a good-sized compressor), all you need is a routine and youre good to go. No muss, no fuss. Buy it once  and you'll get a lifetime of use out of it.

 

 

Thanks terry,  

For the last 15 years of only riding a cruiser, I've done all my own maint and mods.  Pulling a head, tearing apart the trans, blah blah...I even sorta enjoy doing it.  But when come time to change my tires I would pull the wheels and take them up to a friends harley shop and let him put tires on.  It was more a excuse to hang at the shop and socialize and stay in touch with the owner for when I might need to borrow a tool I didnt have.

Now with 5 bikes, its time I invested in a tire machine and do them myselfB)

I appreciate your help  and teaching.

And just so everybody knows for when Terry talks bad about me behind my back,...I did offer to come over and detail all his motorcycles this winter, lol!  He declined, I at least got him to accept a small tip this time though:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried the Q3+yet but I really like the Q3. I've been running s21 lately. Probably about the last 5 sets I've run. Mostly because they have been the best deal that I have been finding lately for hypersport tires. You got a good deal.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

 

Thanks terry,  

For the last 15 years of only riding a cruiser, I've done all my own maint and mods.  Pulling a head, tearing apart the trans, blah blah...I even sorta enjoy doing it.  But when come time to change my tires I would pull the wheels and take them up to a friends harley shop and let himmore a excuse to hang at the shop and socialize and stay in touch with the owner for when I might need to borrow a tool I didnt have.

Now with 5 bikes, its time I invested in a tire machine and do them myselfB)

I appreciate your help  and teaching.

And just so everybody knows for when Terry talks bad about me behind my back,...I did offer to come over and detail all his motorcycles this winter, lol!  He declined, I at least got him to accept a small tip this time though:P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaron, if I had a reason to talk bad about you I wouldn’t have let you in my garage. I subscribe to the mantra: “give a man a fish he’ll eat for a day; teach him HOW to fish he’ll eat for a lifetime.” Besides... it’s FUN!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry won't talk about you behind your back. He'll talk about in you in front of your back. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Face to face as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×