jjester

Don't let them screw up the Internet.

It's honestly not one of my top issues either, but I am a very strong proponent of keeping the government out of business, and would extend that to just about everything, not just business, unless absolutely necessary, and it isn't even close to being absolutely necessary in this case.  Pretty much everyone has more than one choice in service, even if the alternate choice isn't has high of speed, or as convenient, or more costly but MOST people do have a choice. If an internet provider does something you don't like, switch. I've done that with Charter a couple of times now. :) I dislike Charter in general, but I absolutely do not want the government dictating how they do business.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, crash said:

It's honestly not one of my top issues either, but I am a very strong proponent of keeping the government out of business, and would extend that to just about everything, not just business, unless absolutely necessary, and it isn't even close to being absolutely necessary in this case.  Pretty much everyone has more than one choice in service, even if the alternate choice isn't has high of speed, or as convenient, or more costly but MOST people do have a choice. If an internet provider does something you don't like, switch. I've done that with Charter a couple of times now. :) I dislike Charter in general, but I absolutely do not want the government dictating how they do business.

100% in agreement with you on this.  The govt seems to screw up anything it gets its hands into.  They damn sure cant balence a checkbook.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

100% in agreement with you on this.  The govt seems to screw up anything it gets its hands into.  They damn sure cant balence a checkbook.

I think any policy created by man is imperfect but I also disagree with the broad brush that gov't IS the problem/all regulations are bad narrative, even though I liked the Gipper.  The wisest words I know are, "in all things: moderation".  

• Upvote 1

Right and Right, but didn't Al build a solar boat?  I thought you likedhim for that...

• Haha 1

From one of the cases:

"In response to Judge Laurence Silberman’s line of questioning about whether Verizon should be able to block any website or service that doesn’t pay the company’s proposed tolls, Walker said: “I think we should be able to; in the world I'm positing, you would be able to.”"

There were arguments about Verizon's "1st Amendment Rights" to restrict our 1st Amendment Rights.  That's flat wrong.  Corporations do have rights to push their policy goals via the political process due to citizen's united (whether we like that or not) but not to restrict our usage unless for bona fide safety reasons.  Take poor BING; if V artificially slows down BING to favor Google, how are we gonna ever get a crappy search engine?  Back to argument that high bandwidth users have to pay up so that capacity buildout continues, I think that's fine, but if catvideos.com pays for 1gbps connection, V and others should make best effort to deliver to requestor, up to the pointwhere CV is pushing 1gbps.  If the whole network is saturated by hogs say at primetime, a rate structure could be set to handle that but if that is cheaper for dog videos, not ok...except in the case of dog-trampoline.com, I suppose...

We all know what's going to happen, many of of have seen it happen to local newspapers/radio/TV stations -

We're going to see and hear what they want us too, not what is necessarily what is true or honest or with/without a hidden agenda. 

The sheep will remain sheep, just as it always was, just as it always was.........

I'm on a search for independent and reliable coverage of issues and intend to financially support.  Doesn't have to be unbiased as long as they present the other side's case fairly as they pick it apart.  In fact I would pay for both progressive and conservative if I could find one of each.  The struggle is real / the search continues.  Baaa...