OhNoItsBonnie!

Who here uses a lithium ion battery on their ride?

Just curious is all.  Probably been discussed here before but I'm not seeing a recent subject on it.

My hurricane had one installed in it right before I bought it.  Thats my only experiance with them so far, and its been great.  Super fast cranking from temps in the low 20s (I did a freeze-out ride to work last winter), and all the way up to the high 90s heat when we had it this past summer.  

Granted,  there is no draw on the battery with the ignition off (hurricane has no clock, fi, ecm, etc...and,  I have probably the most ideal storage conditions for a motorcycle (in my living room:D).

But for all the bad reviews I occasionally see on the webernets, I'm going to buy one for whatever bike needs a battry next.  

Sure feels odd lifting a battery out the bike that weighs about as much as a fork.

Who else here uses one?  Good or bad feedback?

I've been running the Battery Tender Lithium batteries in all my bikes for about 5 years now. Haven't had one go bad yet. So small and so light.

Here's the little 1.2 pound battery tender battery I run in all my Kawasakis vs the almost 10 pound lead acid I pulled out of my KTM.

20171215_200547.thumb.jpg.46c423b9800f72aabcbe55b018bd91e1.jpg

• Upvote 1

I tried a Ballistic brand battery in my Sprint ST, and found it wouldn't work up cranking power right away under 50deg.  It'd take a while with the key on, and trying the starter about a half dozen times to wake up the battery below that temp.  Then, it went absolutely flat over a 3 month winter break.  To be fair I forgot to keep it on the specific charger, but still.  Completely flat, dead, with no chance to recover it.  I went back to OEM style battery with great success these past few years.

I've had a Shorai in the Monster for a couple of years now, no complaints. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting stuff!

Thanks guys.

The ambient cold temps  thing is something I had heard about before, so was surprised to have good starting power when I did the cold start last winter.  Granted that was only once.

I have the hurricane winterized so I guess I wont have a good year-round test until I buy one for the busa, and that could be awhile

I personally haven't experienced any issues in the cold (yet).

On 12/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, crash said:

I personally haven't experienced any issues in the cold (yet).

Good to know.

I wonde how well one is going to work on my big cc vtwin with no compression release that takes lotsa amps to crank over, in the cold.  

I guess I'll find out:headbang: