GSXR55

Touring Bike

As I mentioned in other section, I'm wanting a touring bike.  Passenger comfort and reliability being the 2 real criteria.  I'd probably buy used but as long as resale ~2 years hence is good I'd probably lean towards newer, despite the fact that I was looking at a 2004 BMW...  Do I already know the answer = Gold Wing?  Anybody here ever tow trailer?  I know I run the risk of being booted out of our sport-biker club for even asking, but I'm going to keep the gsxr...

Appreciate any advice along these lines.  

I asked these same questions over the last couple of years and everyone said I didn't want what I said I wanted.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

As I mentioned in other section, I'm wanting a touring bike.  Passenger comfort and reliability being the 2 real criteria.  I'd probably buy used but as long as resale ~2 years hence is good I'd probably lean towards newer, despite the fact that I was looking at a 2004 BMW...  Do I already know the answer = Gold Wing?  Anybody here ever tow trailer?  I know I run the risk of being booted out of our sport-biker club for even asking, but I'm going to keep the gsxr...

Appreciate any advice along these lines.  

I wouldn't vote to excommunicate you from the Alliance, should you select a new weapon :) Fact, I don't even consider my older Triumph Tiger to be a "sport" bike, but rather a "sporty-tour" bike. The BMW-S1000XR at Gateway BMW definitely caught my attention last week. But, there's also Multistradas and V-Stroms and Tigers and so on. So many choices, so little time.

I think you’d probably be happiest with a Gold Wing, compared to other big comfy stuff. I’ve never ridden one myself, but the handling is supposed to be streets ahead of the other dressers available. The alternative would be one of the adventure-style sport tourers, but the height can be a turn-off for some. 

TLDR: Get a Panigale and some his/hers backpacks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Road_Runner said:

If I ever do a touring bike it would probably be a sport touring like the FJR.

I could see a wing to cover both ends of the spectrum though.

You will never see me with a trailer because at that point I bring the car with A/C and heat and a really well thought out windscreen to keep me dry!

You're obviously right, but can enjoy scenery better on a bike and where's the adventure in a long, boring drive when you could have a long, boring, wet, hot, cold, uncomfortable ride instead?  Will add to the experience by tent camping....  Perhaps we should try a weekend in KC first, huh?

• Haha 1

after owning 6 goldwings and 2 st1300's the Goldwing is the best for overall 2 up comfort by a long shot.  for the sporty Goldwing you need to buy a 2001 and up  , they upgraded the stereo from 2006 and up so you can hear it really good on the highway.

I have towed a trailer behind one loaded up and you forget its back there. I towed the trailer through the dragon and didn't even notice it was there. buy a good one :)

I had an escapade trailer all fiberglass.

0EC9E10B-DF27-4561-AFFB-BEEF930260F0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

get one of these!

wake up, get dressed, go get your sport bikin in....

then go pick up the wife and head west for the weekend.:hippie:

she can read a book while you steer.

everybody wins!  :headbang:

a3.jpg

• Upvote 2

As long as she can crochet, she's in!

7 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

As long as she can crochet, she's in!

d91c9cbeab3088596a475ea2558a29ac--crochet-motorcycle-motorcycles.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dogpark said:

d91c9cbeab3088596a475ea2558a29ac--crochet-motorcycle-motorcycles.jpg

I'm going to use my admin privileges and delete this photo, in case Amy is lurking on this site and decides to make me a set of those...  

• Haha 1

I've sat on a Goldwing but I never rode one so I cannot say anything about that. Michele is pretty comfortable on the back of the FJR and I still enjoy some spirited riding because it is a FJR :)

There are a few things I would like better, like a lighter bike and not as wide but I am happy with that choice for us.

Good luck with your search.

My uncle has a 2014 Valkyrie. It’s supposed to be a naked gold wing. That bike is the berries and I don’t really like cruisers. Tons of power. Smooth. Handles better than any cruiser I have ever seen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've test rode a Gold Wing about 7 years ago. I can't say I remember anything highly positive or negative about it. A newer slightly smaller comparison could be the Triumph Trophy. There are some local MSTA riders who have many miles with them. One in particular passed me once on DD. So if you need it... It's got it... :)

Well what did you decide on?

I think I'll be able to find a GW, with ABS!, low mileage and fairly new for decent price.  Was out of town but will go looking now that I'm back.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freak said:

Good catch!  I've been doing searches with 2011 as oldest year, but with mileage that low (11k), not sure age matters.  

And I like the color; I for sure don't want the canary yellow!  

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, mangosmoothie said:

Thanks.  I think I've settled on the GW.  I'm partial to the Honda brand, having had 2 MC's, 3 Accords, 2 Civics, 1 Acura and 1 lawnmower...    Although I recently learned that Suzuki makes outboard motors, for when I get a boat...