GSXR55

Touring Bike

1 hour ago, GSXR55 said:

Thanks.  I think I've settled on the GW.  I'm partial to the Honda brand, having had 2 MC's, 3 Accords, 2 Civics, 1 Acura and 1 lawnmower...    Although I recently learned that Suzuki makes outboard motors, for when I get a boat...  

Wait, I thought you bought that beater from Gateway? Or did you decide the mechanical issues were too much? Now it's coming back to me. Damn dementia! :)

9 minutes ago, crash said:

Wait, I thought you bought that beater from Gateway? Or did you decide the mechanical issues were too much? Now it's coming back to me. Damn dementia! :)

I thought my dementia was bad!  Like I'm SURE I told Amy I'm going to buy this thing today...  On a related conversation she said, "what if we get halfway to Alaska and I decide I hate you?"  That's permission, right?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GSXR55 said:

I thought my dementia was bad!  Like I'm SURE I told Amy I'm going to buy this thing today...  On a related conversation she said, "what if we get halfway to Alaska and I decide I hate you?"  That's permission, right?

Halfway to Alaska is a long enough trip, you can just turn back then :)

27 minutes ago, GSXR55 said:

Drop her off and continue the trip :)

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, freak said:

Drop her off and continue the trip :)

That's if he wants to live in AK... one way trip :)

• Haha 1

Picking up tomorrow.  This ain't no canyon carver though; Gonna have to learn how to hang off of it I think.  

2010 ABS/NAVI, 11K Miles. 

Thanks for finding this, Ed! 

The Beast.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations.

Sweet! I wanna ride on the back! Will you have it in time for lunch?

Nice! looks really smooth and comfortable. Is that a CB antenna? What's your handle good buddy. We got us a convoy. " Midnight Maddness" ?

• Upvote 1

congrats !  trust me once you learn how to use it you will be flying around the twisties :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the Goldwingers!

As with any motorcycle first thing you wanna upgrade is the exhaust.  And I already know your next question...give me a bit to find who makes them and where you can buy

20793832377587.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dippnet said:

Nice! looks really smooth and comfortable. Is that a CB antenna? What's your handle good buddy. We got us a convoy. " Midnight Maddness" ?

This here's Midnight Madman, good buddy.  Imunna find a rubber duckie to glue to the trunk when I get those pipes Bonnie posted...   

Gonna have us a convoy of little duckies (Groms, etc.) out to Bixby one of these days.  

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

On 1/25/2018 at 10:22 PM, crash said:

Sweet! I wanna ride on the back! Will you have it in time for lunch?

• Haha 2

It's not nuts to butts... Not like a sport bike ?

Nice bike, Mike!! It almost signals a lifestyle change on your part.

But your ride wont be complete unless you install the "Obligatory GoldWing Rite of Manhood Mods":

1) 3 antennas on the rear trunk. Doesnt matter if they are hooked up to anything or not. You want "That Highway Patrol Look".

2) Fake Garfield(the cat) tail sticking out of the trunk lid.

3) All the lighting from the movie set of "Christmas Vacation".

Seriously, that GW looks superb, I'm happy for you!!

• Like 1

First ride report: 

1. Found out that it doesn't actually have a CD or a CB; they just provide the controls and probably want $1,000 each.  I'll be slightly more likely to buy the CB, especially if it comes with 2 antennae... 
  2. The rear seat heater seems like it might not be working but I knew that after my first look.  How much can that be to sort out?  (Answer: about $1,000...not really, but I'm sure on a BMW would be that much...)...   
  3. You really don't notice the weight (925#) at all.  I imagine that would change if you doze off at a traffic light... 
  4. Very flickable, handles great but quick to touch-down on the floor-boards..  I should probably try near-max preload for a while...
  5. Nice down-low torque, but then 5800 red line; seems to let you rev to 6200 before limiter.  Manual says to shift into 5th (OD) at 31 MPH. Not a typo...   
  6. It is a very competent MC; nothing I don't like about it, and I flogged it quite a bit and over some bumpy stuff.  The potential exists that it will catapult me out of seat though... 
  7. Front brake takes a lot of lever effort, particularly compared to the gixxer; need to practice more hard stops and work the ABS to get used to.  
  • Like 2

My ZX10R manual says to shift into 2nd at 108 which coincidentally is exactly the point Sheriff Heffington got me on radar in Calhoun County. :) Oh, and you don't need a front brake. It'll only slow you down. Doesn't that thing have linked brakes?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Call and check to make sure the Brake Recall was performed on it. And if you need to bleed the brakes make sure you check the service manual because there are multiple bleed screws on the front calipers because the rear brake pedal will actually operate both the front and rear calipers. 

2 hours ago, bud said:

Call and check to make sure the Brake Recall was performed on it. And if you need to bleed the brakes make sure you check the service manual because there are multiple bleed screws on the front calipers because the rear brake pedal will actually operate both the front and rear calipers. 

Yup, thanks.  I found out about recall with a vincheck; the guy had the dealer service record where it was fixed a year ago.  That included new fluid.  Brakes aren't spongy, just a lot of mass to deal with and I need to use a bit more rear braking.  Supposedly the front lever operates the rear also but from higher speeds with high decel, needs a bit of assist.  

On 1/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, ZRX4ME said:

Nice bike, Mike!! It almost signals a lifestyle change on your part.

But your ride wont be complete unless you install the "Obligatory GoldWing Rite of Manhood Mods":

1) 3 antennas on the rear trunk. Doesnt matter if they are hooked up to anything or not. You want "That Highway Patrol Look".

2) Fake Garfield(the cat) tail sticking out of the trunk lid.

3) All the lighting from the movie set of "Christmas Vacation".

Seriously, that GW looks superb, I'm happy for you!!

Here's how it will start, just 2 little lighted eyes:

https://www.ebay.com/i/112760276396?chn=ps&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fi%252F112760276396%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D112760276396%26targetid%3D398677328559%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9022317%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1028253084%26adgroupid%3D54605285710%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-398677328559%26abcId%3D1130036%26merchantid%3D101681700%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMIz7GIqeL52AIVja_ICh1T5g0cEAkYBiABEgJV5_D_BwE%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1426342774680

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, Speed said:

It's not nuts to butts... Not like a sport bike ?

They're some air there I think @freak

• Haha 1