OhNoItsBonnie!

Are center stands over-rated?

I cant say I'm paying a ton of attention to what new bikes still have them but I never see them anymore.  I am just old enough to remember when they where on damn near everything.  

The only advantage I can think of is if you have some rear wheel or chain maintance to do when your on the side of the road.

My hurricame has one but being its the drag point on the left side when leaning pretty far, I just completely removed it, which cleans up the look and removes a few lbs of weight :rolleyes:

Theres a guy near where I work and everytime I see his ride in the parking lot he always puts it on the center stand.

It just makes my small and curious mind wonder, is all.

What made the center stand so important back in the day?  And why is it becoming extinct?  

The center stand was really the service stand.  It made chain and tire maintenance easy. Block of wood on a small floor jack, bike on centerstand, raised to just before rear tire makes contact with the floor, front tire maintenance was also easy.

But with weight and lean angle being considerations, most centerstands have gone the way of hand cranks on cars from the 'teens. The main replacements for the center  stand are the front fork/steering stem stands and swingarm stands.

These stands are much more stabile than the center stand ever was. But out on the road, it was and still is most convenient to have a built-in stand.

My '81 Honda CB750K came with one standard, still use it instead of separate stands.

My '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100 never had one, and it wasnt available as an accessory. Stands are a must for much of my work on it.

My '14 Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom didnt come with one, but was available as a Suzuki-supplied accessory. One of the very 1st things I bought for it just after purchase.

• Upvote 1

Interesting.  

And I guess all the guys that never had one arent going to miss it anyway.

Manufactures leaving them off can save some $$$.  And then make some $$$ by offering them as a accessory

My FJR has it and we use it when loading up our bags. It took a bit to learn how to use it properly but I have the bike on it when I store it for space as well.

It is not the first thing that drags when I lean over though :) 

• Upvote 1

KTM supplies them when needed, you just have to look along side the road where there are stored for your use. The K rock is on top then the T rock and M rock on the bottom.  :D

1392227434896.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

my ex500 had one and my fj does. I find them convenient for maintenance, and for storage. Putting it on the center takes up less space in my garage, and allows me to kind of slide it around.  

There's another aspect to this need for a center stand:  I can't speak for other cars, but the '04 and later Mazda RX-8 didnt come with a spare tire! You got a scissors jack, lugwrench, and a mini-aircompressor but no spare tire. There was a dealer-installed spare tire and bracket kit for around $300(I think), and it ate up a good 1/3rd of the available trunk space. The reasons I was told at the training sessions were reduced weight, more available trunk space, less cost...and "Customers dont want to have to futz with changing a tire out on the road--that's what cel phones are for."  So, in a way, the spare tire is like a motorcycle's center stand-a possible thing of the past. Still usable to me and very convenient for many purposes, not so much for many if they have a friend with a truck.

I can also see a manufacturer not wanting to get into a liability situation if lean angle reduction due to having a centerstand causes "an unfortunate incident" for an owner.

Here's an alternative:  https://www.webbikeworld.com/snapjack-portable-jack-review/

Here's one I keep in the garage:  https://www.webbikeworld.com/tommy-jack-review/

And here's the one I keep under the seat of my ZRX:  http://www.motorcycleradar.com/quick_stand_info.htm

I read about the Snapjack several years ago, thought about getting one just because

I got the Tommyjack 14 years ago as a freebie when I bought a Bike Grab front wheel chock-since sold to Sportbike711 after I bought a Baxley chock.

I bought my QuickStand specifically for the ZRX as it has no center stand, and none was ever available for it. Funny how my old '85 ZX900r Ninja had a frame similar to my ZRX, and that GPz had a centerstand and was (at that time) considered to be the ultimate sportbike.

Here's one I'm diggin', and only $32!    http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/11/15/packjack-rear-stand-review/  

Looks  super simple, I may have to order one tomorrow... They also have a height-adjustable model for taller bikes.

Pretty cool! That pack jack looks pretty handy actually!

And here I was trying to take the award for most dull thread. :D

I guess this is how they did it back in the beginnings

Indian-1920-Scout-bg1-1.jpg

center stands make maintenance and bike cleaning a lot easier, I love them :)