freak

NINJA 300

Yousef wants a bike but he can't ride anything more than a 250cc until he's 16. He can get his permit at 15.5 so I told him if he waited till 16 we can look at 300s... He doesn't have any patience. He really likes the new Suzuki 250.

He turns 15 next month, I still have time to talk him into waiting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Road_Runner said:

Could work out as long as he understands it's not a video game.

He's putting in time on his dirt bike these days so hopefully he will get better over time. I will also have him do the basic MSF before getting a bike and advanced MSF after (with his own bike). I may also sign him up for a track weekend after spending some time riding together.

It will be slow progress and I don't know, may be once he drive a car he may change his mind about riding a bike and not want to at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

also in the same similar type of category this one also looks like a pretty good deal , unless I"m missing something.  I'm assuming its still new.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2009-kawasaki-ninja-500r/6479661741.html

I think the 500 is carbourated and the 300 is fuel injected but I don't know much about the little machines.

The EX500 is not fuel injected. And it’s pretty much still the same bike I had in 1990. The ‘08 and newer 250 is just as good if not better, but even they aren’t fuel injected. 

• Thanks 1

That's what's different about the GSX 250r. It's fuel injected.

oh man my ex500/ninja 500 was a fun bike. they're just very dated. the engine is a bored out 454 which dates back to early 80's. It was a quick bike with 60 hp.  They're pretty reliable for mild to moderate use. Not super durable as a track bike or backroad warrior. Easy to fix. They're carb'd but mine never gave me issues. 2 CVK's which are easy to access. I could get them off in 30 minutes. If you want Yousef to learn bike maintenance, or he wants to learn it, the 500 is great. They're also cheap. $1500 should get you a decent example. The 2nd gen was made from 94-09 so parts are still around. And insurance was pretty cheap. For me as a brand new rider it was $150/year liability. 

The brand new Ninja 400 is probably equivalent to the old 500 in performance. There are some pretty cool supermotos out there too if he's into that kind of thing. 

Thanks for the insight. He's all about the look too so I will see what he thinks.

If only Aprilia would bring the RS 125 to the U.S.

I think most young riders are more about the looks of their first bike than the power/performance (I know my son was). Honestly I think looks is what pushes so many of them to buy 600s for their first bike. It's not that they think they need the power of a 600. They just don't want to be riding around on a bike that looks like it's from the 1980s.

RS 125 specs. http://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/motorbikes/road/rs4/RS-125-Replica-GP/

That's a nice bike. Would be perfect and the look would satisfy him.

24 minutes ago, Speed said:

That's a nice bike. Would be perfect and the look would satisfy him.

Not to mention a fun bike for you to play around on as well.

• Like 1

1992 Nighthawk 750?  'slightly used' condition...  

http://phillipsprocycle.com/inventory/honda-cbr250r/

These are the guys I bought my 300 from, and I actually looked at this bike as well when I was there that day. Looked to be in pretty good nick, although those things are such cockroaches it almost wouldn't matter if it wasn't. Fuel injected, too.

Cool. I will likely look at it.