jjester

Is it dead yet?

I already have the carrier pigeons ready and trained for the time when the internet stops working :)

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2018 at 6:33 PM, dogpark said:

Well Craigslist has shut down its personals section so maybe ...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/23/technology/craigslist-personals-shutdown/index.html

Holy cow!!! You wherent kidding:blink:

I have so many fetishes :sheepfucker::jerkoff::boobies4:

All my post..all my ads there....gone...forever....

:(

That is so NOT YOU!... but old timers know.

Don't mess with Galen's memories :)

• Haha 2

I'm an old timer and I remember him getting up at 4 AM without telling me and working on my bike all morning so I could continue to enjoy our Deals Gap trip. He fixed my old piece of crap bike - something I could not have done:  SOOO he had and has  my loyalty for being a team player.

19 hours ago, jjester said:

So I went and checked this stuff and there wasn't anything in my FB info that I didn't know was there. There were 3 friend request that I had made that I didn't know I had made... but I sorta kinda knew the people... probably a "fat finger" on my phone cause I've done that before when I knew about it. I didn't see any of my "google" information but I don't make "google calls" I do use "Google Hangouts" formerly "Google Talk" every day and saw no mention of any of that. My "Contact Info" page had my profile picture and my public name "Galen Dogpark" on it. Nothing surprising, no personal info I didn't know was there. There was a list of "Applications" but they don't really look like apps, I think they are websites that i have visited from inside FB with their internal browser... Not really anything I would care if anyone knew. Certainly none of my personal logins for other sites or apps. No banking info even though I have apps for that on my phone. No private email... yes messages I have sent to other FB users and messages they have sent to me, but I hope I know better than to put private info in anything not encrypted with a key.

The first link to a Dylan McKay tweet talks about a call history... I have no such info in my list of info and IDK if I put a lot of stock in a tweet (well anything on twitter) by a fictional character from the TV show "Beverly Hills 90210".  When you look at the the LinkedIn page of the account on twitter the person behind it has as their job history two internships at small New Zealand software companies and in 2016 was a "Crew Trainer" at a McDonalds. https://www.linkedin.com/in/dylan-mckay/

I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful online... and I'm not really defending any of the big Software Companies MSFT, Oracle, FB, Twitter etc,  The potential is always there for abuse but I don't think I'll stop using Facebook anytime soon... I wish I had the option to opt of using credit reporting services like Trans America and Equifax but I don't.  With Facebook, I control the info they get from me ... I still think the jury is out on them.

I haven't ran the Ruby script to see if FB actually has been logging calls, texts, etc. But, at least in Android, you can control what the app has access to (and if a user isn't scrutinizing these settings on any app he or she installs, that's kind of on the user). For me, FB only has access to my camera, location and storage. App doesn't have access to my contacts, microphone, phone, or SMS. Zuckerberg can look at all the raunchy photos I take of people parking like assholes or my kids doing kid things while tracking me when I go to Walmart to pick up groceries and see all the MP3s I saved on my phone. :D

Now if I run that script and do see calls logged then, yes, I'll be extremely pissed. I don't know anything about Ruby so I'd like to try and understand what the script is actually doing before just running some random code off the interwebagigarnet.

inappropriate content.  Self-policed ?

Edited by GSXR55
  • Haha 3

On 3/25/2018 at 5:04 PM, dogpark said:

That is so NOT YOU!... but old timers know.

Aaron knows Paul, they are drinking buddies. :D

I went through all of my apps on my phone and was astonished at all the ones that had access to my phone, contacts, location and email!  (I have an Android phone) So I have removed access to all of these, despite many warning messages that the apps may not work without access to the information.  I will test these apps out over the next few days and see if they still work.  This was in addition to removing access to all the apps via Facebook.  I am sure I am one of the 50 million Facebook users whose information was obtained bad apps.  I have a bad history of spending too much time on Facebook since I retired. LOL

13 hours ago, reed12b said:

I went through all of my apps on my phone and was astonished at all the ones that had access to my phone, contacts, location and email!  (I have an Android phone) So I have removed access to all of these, despite many warning messages that the apps may not work without access to the information.  I will test these apps out over the next few days and see if they still work.  This was in addition to removing access to all the apps via Facebook.  I am sure I am one of the 50 million Facebook users whose information was obtained bad apps.  I have a bad history of spending too much time on Facebook since I retired. LOL

De-install everything you can live without then do same on PC!  Amazing how much faster both will run and longer battery life. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, reed12b said:

You may find quirky behavior with some apps as you test. Just as a simple example, things like media/music players need access to your phone to determine if it's in-use in order to pause media when you're on the phone or getting a call. 

• Upvote 1

Amen, brother!  I don't like the part about having a crowd sourced hit-list; I think it needs to be trust-nobody/bamboozle everyone!