jjester

Is it dead yet?

This dumpster fire just keeps getting better.

Facebook dropped another bombshell on its users by admitting that all of its 2.2 billion users should assume malicious third-party scrapers have compromised their public profile information.

https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/facebook-data-privacy.html

Here's How Scrapped Data Could Have Helped Cybercriminals

As mentioned in the article, the source of this scam was Facebook's search function, which was turned on by default.

"Hackers took help of "Dark Web," where criminals post personal information of users stolen from data breaches over the years, to collect.Once they had their hands on email addresses and phone numbers, the hackers then used automated computer programs to feed the email addresses and phone numbers into Facebook’s "search" box.

This scan allowed them to find out the full names of people associated with the email addresses or phone numbers, along with the Facebook profile information they chose to make public, which often includes names, profile photos, and hometown.

This collected information was then more likely to be used by cybercriminals to target particular individual using social engineering or other cyber attacks."

Honestly everyone should assume that identity theft has already happened for everyone.  Unless you pay for everything with cash and have no bank, work under the table, file no tax returns, and basically have nothing on any computer with parts of information about you then all of that information is already available or will be if the right people wanted it.  If someone really wants your info they will get it and you really cant do much about it.  I am not saying make it easy but its just the reality of it.

5 minutes ago, DemonDuck said:

Honestly everyone should assume that identity theft has already happened for everyone.  Unless you pay for everything with cash and have no bank, work under the table, file no tax returns, and basically have nothing on any computer with parts of information about you then all of that information is already available or will be if the right people wanted it.  If someone really wants your info they will get it and you really cant do much about it.  I am not saying make it easy but its just the reality of it.

And some day just to make sure (They?) will probably try to make Cash go away.

• Haha 1

You are probably right ... but I wont stress about it either way.

Another log for the fire.

On Friday, Facebook revealed that it had suffered a security breach that impacted at least 50 million of its users, and possibly as many as 90 million. What it failed to mention initially, but revealed in a followup call Friday afternoon, is that the flaw affects more than just Facebook. If your account was impacted it means that a hacker could have accessed any account that you log into using Facebook.

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-security-breach-third-party-sites/

• Sad 1

This is why I don't put any personal info on facebook, they don't even have my phone number. I never log into anything else with facebook (or google for that matter). 

However, I may go put a short on their stock...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2018 at 7:07 AM, koth442 said:

This is why I don't put any personal info on facebook, they don't even have my phone number. I never log into anything else with facebook (or google for that matter). 

However, I may go put a short on their stock...

Trust nothing folks!

3 hours ago, GSXR55 said:

Trust nothing folks!

I don't -not even myself.

Good advice !

I never got around to a "facebook" account, a.k.a. facepage, buttbook and liebook. IMO, this is what destroyed "forums".