As some of you know, I worked at CycleGear for a short time. During my time there, I had exposure to quite a lot of helmets. I never rode with them, but I tried a lot on, checked out the fit/finish, quality of materials, etc.

I never was a huge fan of ICON helmets, or gear. seemed to be for the sreetfighter/stunter crowd with the designs. I saw a couple variants while I worked and they seemed fine for what they were.

Their newest flagship line is the airframe pro. The brozak color scheme caught my eye. It was time for a new helmet soon, so I threw it on my christmas list. Well... santa delivered. Except it was backordered until recently. 

icon-airframe-pro-brozak-helmet.jpg

Quality of materials - outstanding. The liner feels as good as the Shoei's and Arai's I had experience with with. The D rings are anodized matte red. The little button that buttons the strap excess is metal. The finish of the helmet is flawless. I can't say how durable it is yet. It does appear to have a clear coat type of coating. So I don't anticipate rock chips destroying the graphic. This is one of the lightest helmets on the market. I believe the airframe carbon is the lightest helmet on the market. Mine is the composite shell. Speaking of shells, they use 4 different size shells across the size range. This is a good thing, and most high end helmets offer 3-5 shell sizes across the line. The shield is held shut by that metal pin. It creates a very tight seal. If you want to leave the visor cracked, it seems to stay pretty well at the first click. Otherwise you can rest it against the peg and it will stay cracked.

Venting - outstanding. This is the best ventilated helmet I've ever used. I'll attach another pic of the top outside vents. They're massive. There is also a distinct difference with the chin vent open vs shut

Noise - Not so good. It's loud. But wear earplugs and it doesn't matter

Wind - No buffeting. Very clean air.

Comfort - I wear a size small according to the chart. It fits awesome. Usually helmets cause a hot spot on my head until either I get used to it or they break in. Not this one. A little tighter on the cheeks than I'm used to but still comfortable. It fits great. It seems like there is a little space above my head which prevents hot spots and allows ventilation. I also dig the cutout on the back. It allows for free head movement with gear on and in the tucked position.

Other notes - field of vision is huge

Based on my experience with this helmet so far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the airframe pro. I would put these helmets right with Shoei and Arai based on my experience this far. ICON has come a long way.

• Like 1

Nice. I've been looking at the AGV K3 Simoncelli and finally found a site that had it only to be disappointed when they said the site was not updated. I guess all of these places ship from the same suppliers. I wanted a Medium/Small and it is only available in ML.

agvk3_sv_simoncelli_helmet_750x750.jpg

My new leathers are going to be a little 'wild' so I figured what the hell, go with a littler wilder helmet, but no dice.

I don't think I want another helmet without the inner sun visor.

I don't have to carry sunglasses anymore and I don't like to ride with a dark shield just in case the ride goes later into the evening for some unexpected reason.

As far as I know, there is only one helmet brand with the internal sun visor that meets the Snell standards.  That is the Shark brand I think. The other brands, such as my JVC only meet the lower DOT standards.  This is only important if you are thinking of racing with MCRA, as there is a rule all racers have to have a helmet with a Snell sticker.  (This rule may have been changed, it used to be in the rules.) Or if you have seen too many videos about helmet standards and how the Snell standard is supposed to be far better at limiting the impact forces delivered to the brain. 

JJ and I were discussing the duf between the grading systems and I think the ECE is more stringent than Snell. I will have to find the article but I will need a helmet for sure if SNELL is the standard for MCRA

2 hours ago, Speed said:

Nice. I've been looking at the AGV K3 Simoncelli and finally found a site that had it only to be disappointed when they said the site was not updated. I guess all of these places ship from the same suppliers. I wanted a Medium/Small and it is only available in ML.

agvk3_sv_simoncelli_helmet_750x750.jpg

My new leathers are going to be a little 'wild' so I figured what the hell, go with a littler wilder helmet, but no dice.

I don't think I want another helmet without the inner sun visor.

I don't have to carry sunglasses anymore and I don't like to ride with a dark shield just in case the ride goes later into the evening for some unexpected reason.

I've had really good luck with Transition shields on my Shoeis.  The ones I've had get pretty dark.  And the best part is, no swapping of shields.  It just does it automagically :)

• Thanks 1

Transition shields for bell and shoei are nice. I wish more helmets had the transition shield option. 

The icon does not have snell approval. Im not sure if its because they didnt test it, or it failed. Im going to assume they didn't test. It meets ece and sai. Mcra only requires ece, dot, bsi, or snell. 

Snell guidelines are weird. I thought they were "stricter" but that didnt necessarily mean more likely to survive.