gonecrazy

THE WHATEVER THREAD

Took the long way home today, to the tune of 60+ miles through Chesterfield, down through Eureka, and took the FZ-10 for its maiden voyage on Rock Creek Rd. Most importantly, in all this, I blew past the magical 600 mile break-in period. Just waiting for my oil and filters to get shipped. 

Capture.jpg

• Upvote 4

I know this topic has been beat to death on various motorcycle forums,  but I still wonder what is the correct way to break in a new engine.  As far as I have heard, some guys run the crap out of a new bike from the start and don't have any issues.  But I guess if you did break something and the dealer was able to tell you exceeded the max revs and/or speed recommenced in the owners manual they could use that to deny any warranty claims.  See, I just talked myself in to taking it easy if I ever buy a new bike again. 

My understanding it that it doesn't really make any difference. First thing that happens once the bike rolls off the assembly line is somebody takes it and revs the piss out of it on a dyno half a dozen times. I make sure to do the break-in oil change on time and don't really worry about it beyond that.

3 hours ago, reed12b said:

I know this topic has been beat to death on various motorcycle forums,  but I still wonder what is the correct way to break in a new engine.  As far as I have heard, some guys run the crap out of a new bike from the start and don't have any issues.  But I guess if you did break something and the dealer was able to tell you exceeded the max revs and/or speed recommenced in the owners manual they could use that to deny any warranty claims.  See, I just talked myself in to taking it easy if I ever buy a new bike again. 

Just asking...but why WOULDNT you just follow the manufacturer’s recommendations concerning break-in?

4 hours ago, ZRX4ME said:

Just asking...but why WOULDNT you just follow the manufacturer’s recommendations concerning break-in?

Short on-ramps, passing, etc. Even people who ride like me need to give it the business every once in a while.

It's rarely even an issue, but I figure deciding ahead of time that I'm allowed to use all of my engine if I need it gives me one less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

To me, it's a matter of self-control. I follow the manufacturure's break-in procedures to a "T". Yeah, it isnt as fun as hitting redline in every gear, but I know that time is coming. And I make it a point of giving my bikes "the business" every time one leaves the garage. After break-in.

Failures can occur at any time for no apparent reason( although there's always a reason). That's the nature of mechanical things. But I dont need to press my luck or tempt fate just because I want immediate satisfaction on a brand-new machine as if it's got 6000 to 8000 miles on it, much less 600 to 800 miles or whatever  the manufacturer deems is the break-in mileage.

If there is an powertrain-related issue that develops either during or after the warranty period, I dont want it to occur because of something I did or didnt do either in my maintenance, my riding, or my break-in procedure.

I dont need to play tug-of-war with the engineers that designed my bike. Then too, I tend to keep my bikes forever--18 years on the ZRX, 37 years on my CB750K. 61K miles between the 2 of them. No abnormal oil consumption or mechanical noise with either. Valve clearances tend to stay constant, not a trace of cam lobe wear.  Compression remains well within specifications.

Would these 2 engines be in the same condition if I rode them like I stole them from Day1? Who knows? I had no need or want to find out otherwise. I followed the recommended break-in recommendations with my latest, the Vstrom1000.  I dont worry about it, as I didnt worry about the other 2 bikes.

How others break in their bikes is totally up to them. And if they experience no problems after doing bonzai runs to the far side of the tach during break-in more power to them. But they arent responsible for my bikes.

I took nearly the exact route home yesterday! Hit 1000 miles in the process and finally put the screws to the Z. 

Missing riding and this picture is so tempting.

4049055892_87e766cd58_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Speed said:

Easy now, that looks too much like Fall. Let's enjoy Spring and Summer first...

016.JPG

• Like 2

I looked for a spring picture but I couldn't find one.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, stiffneck said:

Easy now, that looks too much like Fall. Let's enjoy Spring and Summer first...

016.JPG

Here you go :)

728481.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, Speed said:

I'm going there this weekend in the car :) I'll grab some pics for you ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, mangosmoothie said:

I'm going there this weekend in the car :) I'll grab some pics for you ;)

Have a good time.

3 hours ago, Speed said:

Here you go :)

728481.jpg

You know if a guy didn't obey all the laws of the road like I do: he would not even need to make one turn on that stretch of road ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Road_Runner said:

You know if a guy didn't obey all the laws of the road like I do: he would not even need to make one turn on that stretch of road ?

Some laws are made to obey!

• Upvote 1

I didn't get to go to MotoGP so I went hunting today. I have to say I used to think police officers have asshole syndrome but I have to hand it to the DNR officer. Complete asshole. I kept my cool but I was really close. 

I didn't shoot a bird today but he was waiting for me by my truck. He asked to see my gun ammo and permit. I forgot my phone in the truck and my permit was on the phone and I explained that I normally have my phone.

He told me that he should give me a ticket for not having my permit but he will give me a warning. I said okay. He said this is serious in a louder voice like I didn't get it... I said I understand but in my head I was thinking 'you can't give me a ticket if I don't have a turkey and I could have been shooting rabbits for all you know or skeet' but I stayed quiet. 

He did shut down his BS when he found out I own that property.

Those enforcement jobs attract assholes. I know he was thinking he hit the jackpot because I have IL plates hunting in MO and he would arrest me and confiscate the truck and gun.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Speed said:

I didn't get to go to MotoGP so I went hunting today. I have to say I used to think police officers have asshole syndrome but I have to hand it to the DNR officer. Complete asshole. I kept my cool but I was really close. 

I didn't shoot a bird today but he was waiting for me by my truck. He asked to see my gun ammo and permit. I forgot my phone in the truck and my permit was on the phone and I explained that I normally have my phone.

He told me that he should give me a ticket for not having my permit but he will give me a warning. I said okay. He said this is serious in a louder voice like I didn't get it... I said I understand but in my head I was thinking 'you can't give me a ticket if I don't have a turkey and I could have been shooting rabbits for all you know or skeet' but I stayed quiet. 

Those enforcement jobs attract assholes. I know he was thinking he hit the jackpot because I have IL plates hunting in MO and he would arrest me and confiscate the truck and gun.

Was he or his vehicle on your property? And if so, do you have "no trespassing" signs posted?

4 hours ago, Speed said:

We ran into one of these guys a few years ago when I used to duck hunt.  There is this rule that you have to purchase a duck stamp and sign it so it can not be used by anyone else.  My buddy, who has passed away a couple years ago, forgot to sign his stamp.  You would have thought he had raped someone or robbed a bank the way the Dept of Conservation officer treated him! He was actually yelling at him! He was about mid 50's when this happened and this was some punk in his 20's. But he let him go with a warning.  So yes I agree, too many guys with big egos are attracted to law enforcement. 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

Was he or his vehicle on your property? And if so, do you have "no trespassing" signs posted?

I know he was on my property because I saw his hoof prints :) and yes I have signs but they're allowed to go anywhere including private property to investigate. When I got back he was next to the truck at the front of my property on the road.

4 hours ago, reed12b said:

We ran into one of these guys a few years ago when I used to duck hunt.  There is this rule that you have to purchase a duck stamp and sign it so it can not be used by anyone else.  My buddy, who has passed away a couple years ago, forgot to sign his stamp.  You would have thought he had raped someone or robbed a bank the way the Dept of Conservation officer treated him! He was actually yelling at him! He was about mid 50's when this happened and this was some punk in his 20's. But he let him go with a warning.  So yes I agree, too many guys with big egos are attracted to law enforcement. 

I had that same treatment and I was thinking where is the respect? He didn't have to raise his voice. Same thing... But he was late twenties or early thirties.

2 hours ago, Speed said:

I know he was on my property because I saw his hoof prints :) and yes I have signs but they're allowed to go anywhere including private property to investigate. When I got back he was next to the truck at the front of my property on the road.

There is a police officer that stops in at my work almost daily (really good guy btw) and when I see him I will ask,...but I am 99.99% positive if you have no trespassing signs properly posted on your property then leo, dnr, game warden, etc. cannot trespass onto private property unless they have a warrant or probable cause to believe you are committing a crime, or some other type of probable cause.

The "probable cause" is where it will get blurry.  Thats when video/audio is your friend (long as you are not commiting a crime:D)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OhNoItsBonnie! said:

There is a police officer that stops in at my work almost daily (really good guy btw) and when I see him I will ask,...but I am 99.99% positive if you have no trespassing signs properly posted on your property then leo, dnr, game warden, etc. cannot trespass onto private property unless they have a warrant or probable cause to believe you are committing a crime, or some other type of probable cause.

The "probable cause" is where it will get blurry.  Thats when video/audio is your friend (long as you are not commiting a crime:D)

Out of state plates would probably be his reasoning but I know they are allowed to go in no cause needed. Not like LEO.

Their version of stop and frisk is still alive and well. Stop and harass.

I guess I shouldve asked if your vehicle was parked on your property beyond the no trespassing signs.  

A vehicle with out of state plates on private property is not reasoning for a leo or dnr to believe you are commiting a crime, or even believe you are hunting or transporting wildlife.  If thats all he saw then he shouldve got a warrant. What hes going to say is something to the effect of he heard gunshots or saw you or someone hunting, and if that isnt true then HE is committing a crime tresspassing.  And that really pisses me off when law enforcement officers think that they themselves are above the law. 

But if what you say is true then that means dnr has the ability to wander around and snoop on private property and our back yards at their own free will like peeping toms and pervs.  Thats messed up, and scary:blink:

And btw speed I'm not trying to make a big discussion of it:lol:, I just know how nice of a person you are and it pisses me off he treated you like prick, and the dude works for us, WE pay his salary

• Upvote 1