Morbo

Replaced the 250....

Sold my bike a couple of weeks ago and picked up it's replacement this past weekend....

Nothing else really interesting to say.... Hopefully it'll be another mild winter so I can get a lot of practice and get more comfortable with the bike. Whole different experience than the Ninja 250.

Previous owner is a real cool guy; was showing me his certificates from Keith Code's SuperBike school, loaned me his TotW books/DVD to look through and watch. He's not really into the sport/supersport bikes anymore otherwise I would've pointed him to this site.

20121201_140455.jpg

20121201_140513.jpg

20121201_140548.jpg

You're going to have a blast Jason. What do you think of it so far? Got to be a world of difference from the 250! Congrats!

Well.. considering my total experience riding any supersport prior to this is about a grand total of 50-60 miles doing the test-ride events that Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawi...,etc. had put on, to be totally honest, still a bit nervous. Still working on getting accustomed to how much more difficult it seems to force this thing to lean over. I'm still too used to how easy it was to lean my 250... you just push on the bar and it leans right over. I'm fighting the bike's natural desire to want to stay upright a lot more, which is expected, but just not used to it yet. Was able to ride it to work today and took it out at lunch to get some seat time. Feel free to laugh but I'm still giddy about just taking off from a stoplight and realize I'm still only in 2nd gear and doing 60mph. Just so use to having to constantly shift the 250.Of course, it's really bad that I've caught myself a few times thinking I was rolling along at 45-50 and realized I'm doing 60-65.

Still lovin' it so far though, just treating it like I'm just starting out on 2 wheels all over again and taking it easy on the throttle.

Definitely plan to take this thing out to a "Try the Track" session next year and hopefully get some helpful advice.

That's awesome Jason... I have no doubt you'll have the beast in hand in no time at all.

Still working on getting accustomed to how much more difficult it seems to force this thing to lean over. I'm still too used to how easy it was to lean my 250... you just push on the bar and it leans right over. I'm fighting the bike's natural desire to want to stay upright a lot more, which is expected, but just not used to it yet.

Believe it or not you can do things to the bike to make it turn in better via suspension adjustments (changing your rake & trail) and tire selection. I ran Dunlop slicks this year with a 200/55 on the rear (normally we run 180/55) and it brought the rear up, decreasing the rake angle, and gave it a steeper profile because it's really meant for a wider rim. It's basically pinched onto the smaller rim. Dunlop says it'll work on the 5.5 inch but is best for a 6 inch rim. It almost turned in too good. I could lean the bike over and it would stay there with little to no input. Of course you have to be careful not to decrease the rake angle too much or the bike can become twitchy and unstable. I didn't have any problems with my settings though.

So basically you can move your forks up which would lower your front which would decrease the rake or you could raise the rear. I'm not sure how adjustable those are on your bike though. It's also probably a good idea to make small changes at a time (2 mm or so) and ride and compare. You might want to get some ideas from the CBR people.

When U ride around town at slower speeds that kind of bike is a bit strange at tight intersections etc but it will work great on the back roads and U will get used to it fast in town!

Thanks for the tips, guys.... I need to track down an owner's manual and shop manual so I have a solid source for reference before tinkering with anything.. and find some good CBR forums,

Congrats on the bike. I had the same bike a few years ago...But after I was done modding it....it looked nothing like that.

also check out 600rr.net. I use to be on that forum when I had my 600rr.

Thanks for the forum recommendations; I had just registered at 600RR.net yesterday. I'll check out CBRforum.com as well.

I'm extremely happy to say that my heavy steering problem was just a tire pressure problem. When I test rode it I made the mistake of assuming the P.O. checked the pressures. Had the inspection done and the shop noted they were low and bumped them and holy crap it transformed the steering. It's still not as flickable as the 250 but the bike just falls right over when leaning into a turn and low-speed maneuverability is much improved. Honestly fell in love with the thing all over again; improved my confidence quite a bit as well since steering is much smoother.

Would this be a good time to bring up blinker fluid.

Indeed. A commonly overlooked detail that can make a world of difference.

I'm not that stupid.... blinker fluid.......

Now excuse me while I'm off to the store to buy some new muffler bearings.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the tips, guys.... I need to track down an owner's manual and shop manual so I have a solid source for reference before tinkering with anything.. and find some good CBR forums,

Congratulation. What year? I have a 2008 manual (PDF) if you're interested.

It's a 2006; since my post I was able to track down the shop manual and owner's manual in PDF, but thanks for the offer, Khaled.

Looks cool. I dig that orange