crash

My homemade fork spring compressor

I could have swore I posted this in here a couple of years ago but danged if I can find it. Sorry if it is a double post, delete if so. I used a cargo strap to compress the springs to get the top cap off and although it worked I figured I would look for something a little more professional the next time I needed to tear my forks apart. I recently developed a bit of a leak in one of my fork seals so I ordered a new seal and started looking around for a spring compressor. I found several online that ranged from about 50 to about 250 bucks. I found some people who made their own and I decided I would make my own but I made mine a little different than any of the others, or actually a cross between a couple plus my own touch that I didn't see on any of the others.

I've been wanting one of those heavy duty long clamp devices which is basically what that 250 dollar compressor used. I figured I could use it in my spring compressor and use it as a regular clamp. So I picked up the clamp for about 30 bucks and about 10 bucks worth of other parts and this is what I ended up with:

DSC02008_zps46c3c904.jpg

DSC02009_zps5f1846fc.jpg

DSC02012_zps348e1cc2.jpg

DSC02013_zps578959f5.jpg

DSC02015_zpsffe188b1.jpg

DSC02018_zps93476365.jpg

• Upvote 4

I remember you posting that as well. I guess it's lost in the interwebs.

• Upvote 1

That's one of the nice things about being me - I get to enjoy threads and movies more then once.

But yes I do remember this because I have some of the same tools.

• Upvote 2

I remember seeing it. Because I considered rigging a similar set up for mine. I just barely got mine with out a rigging.

So I need to replace my fork seals on my 2007 zx6r. I have changed them multiple times on my dirtbike that also had USD forks. I keep seeing people talk about spring compressors for the street bikes though. Are the springs that much heavier? On my dirtbike I was able to push it down by hand and get someone else to turn the nut. Is that realistic on a steet bike? I am thinking about just handing it off to Eric at Velocity Calibrations, but I would rather spend my money for new springs and getting him to tune my suspension