In the next 18 to 20 days IPS will perform an upgrade to this website from IPS version 3.4.8 to 4.1 of Invision Power Board.

When this happens all the colors, special buttons, STLAR branding etc will disappear and it will take Dog a while to put it all back.

The board should be operational to post etc. if all goes well. If all doesn't go well the board may be down for some time.

The most important thing for you to know is that once the upgrade occurs...

YOUR USERNAME WILL NO LONGER BE VALID... YOUR DISPLAY NAME WILL BECOME YOUR USERNAME.

There are two things to do to improve your chances of retaining your identity on the board.

Make your display name something with no spaces or special characters... so for example "Road Runner" should be changed to "Road_Runner" because when you try to login you'll need to login with "Road_Runner"

So you should be changing your Display Name before the upgrade to something you can remember, something you like (cause you are going to have it forever) and it should have nothing but letters, numbers and underscores.. the use of dashes (-) or anything like !@#$%^&*() may or may not work.

Make sure you have phone numbers, emails or other means of contact for your friends in case there is an outage so you can still communicate.

May the force be with us.

• Upvote 3

So, uh, I definitely understand how to change my display name. Totally.

But I think it would be nice to explain how to do that in case, er, other people don't know?

• Upvote 1

Click on your current name in the upper right hand corner of the screen... and from the drop down list select "My Settings" ... on the left hand side of the screen select "Display Name" and Enter your new display name in the box.

You can do this 5 times each day... BUT DON'T ... you risk losing your account and don't get cute and change your name to someone else's display name... you'll screw up both accounts and the easy solution is to delete one of the offending accounts. Guess which one.

I'll leave this feature turned on for now.

If you are really concerned about doing this ... send Dog a PM and he'll do it for you.

Read, printed off, display name changed (Mike C. will forever be known as Joker_PaPa from this point forward.), Awaiting further instructions....

And may the Force be also with you.

• Upvote 1

Is this where it's supposed to be?

blarg_zps8kxjtjrh.png

I took this opportunity to change my name since I didn't know I could before... now people don't need to stumble over how the hell to pronounce my name.

• Upvote 1

I took this opportunity to change my name since I didn't know I could before... now people don't need to stumble over how the hell to pronounce my name.

Morbo will destroy you all!

69ac29bb7fb83aec0ba0dcf035031fb7.jpg

• Upvote 2

Is my name going to work or does it have to be a minimum length?

The request has been sent to IPS to perform the upgrade... It should occur within the next 10 days... It may be later today... it may be 10 days from now... they can't/won't say when.

• Upvote 1

In the past have they sent out a notice when they are starting?

The request has been sent to IPS to perform the upgrade... It should occur within the next 10 days... It may be later today... it may be 10 days from now... they can't/won't say when.

Our glorious admin shortly after sending in the request to upgrade...

tumblr_m5gunpXMrC1qbldd1.gif

• Upvote 3

In the past have they sent out a notice when they are starting?

Really... where did you receive said notice? I don't remember it. It was 2008 when this was last done from 2.X to 3.X and ibekevman was the admin then. If it's just a 3.4.7 to 3.4.8 patch... that's different than this... this is a major release 3.X to 4.X with a database conversion. The patches I've done... Maverick or I sent notices... this is different. This is tech support from IPS doing the upgrade... and this is the last time they will do it. That's one of the reasons for the major release... the upgrade process should be easier from now on and they will no longer perform upgrades when requested. That's what I know...

Thanks Galen. I was asking a question because I do not have any history or knowledge of how things have gone in the past.

Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

I did this... all by myself... the IPS guy abandoned the effort after minimal trying so anyway... it's up for now... things will be very slow as database indexes are being rebuilt and so forth... Still a lot of work to do..

• Upvote 7

Thanks Galen! You da man! Sounds like someone was in over their head maybe?

• Upvote 2

nah!!! not over his head... he wrote all the upgrade manuals I read to get through it... just too busy to worry about a little site like ours... bigger fish...The database conversion was what I was worried about but it went without a hitch... at least so far!!!!

• Upvote 2

Many things to look at ... things seem to run slower... I don't know if that's just how it is.. I have a lot to learn about setting up chron jobs to update indexes... didn't used to have to do that. Got the chat up that JJ wanted ... not available to registered users... only to members and those in the "communications" group. I think too many registered users would overwhelm the system. It may happen for a wider audience ... might suggest that communications turn into "Friends of STLAR" where a member can request a registered user have access... like I want Chrissy, Amy, Bill and so forth to be able to chat. Lot's of idea's ... I'll try and make the March 7 meeting... no promise there though. Be sure to put your comments in this thread..

• Upvote 1

@Galen, outstanding and thanks for the work on the board!!

• Upvote 2

I posted a thanks in the chatbox I want to make sure you see this, YOU have done a great job.  Thank you!! I will buy you a beer or your other favorite adult beverage! 

• Upvote 2

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 0:53 AM, reed12b said:

I posted a thanks in the chatbox I want to make sure you see this, YOU have done a great job.  Thank you!! I will buy you a beer or your other favorite adult beverage! 

Thanks Barry a beer would be great !

• Upvote 4