SprintST

My first Kawi!

Picked up the H2 SX SE from JMP Cycle yesterday.  Everything went great!

I still think Kawi is being kinda cheap not including bags with this ride, but, whatever.  Bags are on order.  Because this sled will be required to go places.  Looking forward to getting that first 600 miles done.

H2 new.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks Steve from all of us at JMP Cycle Kawasaki.

That is an awesome Sport Touring bike.

We look forward to hearing where it takes you.

Come On Summer!!! Or at least warmer weather.

• Like 3

Congratulations on the new bike!

Saw it on FB but congrats again. Can't wait for decent weather so we can get out. Had the FJR for 5 weeks and Bern out once. 

• Like 1

That thing looks awesome!  Congrats!:headbang:

Not to often I see hard bags on a more sport than tourer  looking bike but the hard bags on this one look great!

I did a little investigating on it and it looks to be loaded to the hilt, including center stand

Congratulations and welcome to the Kawi family. 

Congrats !  Amazing machine for sure :headbang:

This could be an all time record for shine wearing off a new bike.  I'm finding out some things about Kawasaki that are...well, insulting.  The owners manual will tell you how to check the chain tension on this single sided swing arm bike.  But, if it needs adjusting.  You are to go to the dealer, and have them do it.  Getthafuckaoutahear!   It's like they don't think an owner is competent enough to do this action.  I've been doing it for nearly 20 years with my Sprints.  I got this!  The service manual isn't available yet, so no guess on what the two(yes 2!) pinch bolts(actually, 10mm allen heads) will need to be torqued too.  There is no adjuster wrench included with the bike.  I've found out there IS one on the hot rod H2.  Looked up the part numbers, because it's a 2 piece hook spanner, so there are, of course, 2 friggin part numbers.  Total cost from dealer, $223.36!  For some probably stamps cheese tool.  I got one free with my 2008 Sprint ST in the standard owners took kit.  But, if I needed to buy one, I can get it, under one part number, for $27 straight from a dealer.  Unbelievable.

This is what happens when an owner like me has time to think of these things without riding.  I've already encountered another annoyance, but it was caused by me hanging a Battery Tender lead on the battery, and dropping one of the battery bolts.  The bolt had disappeared into the undertray that goes under the gas tank.  I can't even see where it went, or retrieve it.  I'll have to remove a lot of the central bodywork, and maybe gas tank itself, to find the bloody thing.  But, I shouldn't do that without a service manual.  So I guess I'll just hope that bolt isn't going to beat the fuck outa the underside of the gas tank until I can excavate to get to it.  Or it'll just fall out on a ride and I'll never know any better.

That would drive me bonkers!:smack:

I probably cant think of anything you already have...

Lean the bike over far as you possibly can and listen for it move, or fall out?

Compressed air nozzle in the area it fell, try to blow it around.

I have a handful of super powerful magnets that I taped up to not scratch paint, theyve saved me a ton of time over the years from having to remove parts and bodywork.

Hopefully it doesnt migrate towards the chain and sprockets area

13 hours ago, SprintST said:

This could be an all time record for shine wearing off a new bike.  I'm finding out some things about Kawasaki that are...well, insulting.  The owners manual will tell you how to check the chain tension on this single sided swing arm bike.  But, if it needs adjusting.  You are to go to the dealer, and have them do it.  Getthafuckaoutahear! 

That’s nothing. Ducati insist that I take it to a dealer to check tire pressures. :D

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, whatarush said:

Not sure how much is different from the H2 and the H2 SX, but here is the H2 service manual

Kawasaki Ninja H2 - Service Manual.pdf

Looks like it should cover my needs for now.  I haven't done part number comparisons, but the picures seem to indicate the same swing arm.  So, thanks.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, dogpark said:

Saw it on FB but congrats again. Can't wait for decent weather so we can get out.

Same here. Can't wait to see it.

Fished out the runaway battery bolt today.  Had to take up the rear of the tank because it was sitting in the dimple that is in the full under-tray that something hanging off the fuel pump plate fits into.  The bolt was nestled right in there.  Bleh. It did give me an excuse for buying a cheap endoscope camera for searching.  I would not recommend the one I went with; a Depstech model #4331891326.  I thought it'd be convenient to have it connect to my tablet with WiFi.  Well, it has a battery life measured in minutes.  Which means very intermittent signal issues.  Unless you hook it to your phone/tablet via the conveniently provided micro USB male-to-male cable it comes with, so it can leach power off your tablet/phone.  But, it won't talk data along that path, lol

• Like 1

I've figured out which SW-Motech Evo quick release tank ring will fit.  And have it installed.  There are so few "confirmed will fit" aftermarket parts for this bike I'm doing R&D for the companies, it seems.  I can reuse my Daypack from my Triumphs.  But, unfortunately, I can't reuse the good bag, the Sport bag.  It lays just on these plastic flashes on the front edge of the tank.  Kind of annoying.

Hoping that Kawasaki is keeping up with the demand for bags, and colour matched panels.  One guy on an H2 SX board was told August for the colour panels.  That would suck.

Still toying with GPS options.  Kawasaki installed a cigarette lighter type AUX port on the left hand dash.  I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't a powerlet type.  But, if I were to go with my current Zumo 390, I could finally get the power cord with antenna that will allow traffic avoidance to work.  The radio for traffic updates is not resident in the Zumo itself, another frustrating thing Garmin did.  I'd have to carve a notch in the Zumo specific mount to clear the mini-USB port, and it would slightly compromise the water proof-ness of the Zumo.  But, it's an option.  Alternatively, since my current phone is actually water resistant I was thinking of trying it as a GPS.  Problem is, I need to figure out what app will allow me to create custom routes, SAVE THEM, and export them to the phone.  If Google Maps does that, it's not real obvious.

1 hour ago, SprintST said:

Problem is, I need to figure out what app will allow me to create custom routes, SAVE THEM, and export them to the phone.  If Google Maps does that, it's not real obvious.

Google can't do it. You can create custom routes all day long but they're not functional. I hope, one of these days, the app developers get their collective head out their ass and add that functionality. No idea why they'll let you create a custom route but not actually run it in the app.

If you do find an app that does this, please let us know.

• Upvote 1

Google Maps can kinda do it via chained destinations, but you have to hit continue whenever you reach a waypoint. Works fine in a car, not so much on a bike. 

19 hours ago, Morbo said:

Google can't do it. You can create custom routes all day long but they're not functional. I hope, one of these days, the app developers get their collective head out their ass and add that functionality. No idea why they'll let you create a custom route but not actually run it in the app.

If you do find an app that does this, please let us know.

Found a couple promising options.  Haven't really dug into any of them, but these seem interesting.

MyRoute-app

-From the folks at TyretoTravel

-Seems to promise the ability to create custom routes on the PC, then export to GPS, or phone.

-Have their own app to run in phone to use said custom routes.

-Germanic/Dutch based company.  So some of their help/updates are in German/Dutch.

Kurvinger

-Seems to promise the ability to create custom routes on the PC, then export to GPS, or phone.

-if you want spoken turn by turn instructions you gotta pay for the "gold membership"

-Germanic based company, so some of their stuff is in German

Sweet. I'll just get Evan to translate for me. :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SprintST said:

Found a couple promising options.  Haven't really dug into any of them, but these seem interesting.

MyRoute-app

-From the folks at TyretoTravel

-Germanic/Dutch based company.  So some of their help/updates are in German/Dutch.

Kurvinger

-if you want spoken turn by turn instructions you gotta pay for the "gold membership"

-Germanic based company, so some of their stuff is in German

Thx for posting them. I’ve been using Sygic app for gps on my phone. I have always had to put waypoints in for route planning. 

I like the look of the Kurviger app. The only down side I’ve seen is I’ll have to go with the pro version for it to work offline. the up side is its only 10 bucks :D

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Irresponsible_Robot said:

Das ist mir so lästig.

No just one beer and one brat, bitte.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dozer Dave said:

No just one beer and one brat, bitte.

Natürlich ist Hans naß. Er ist unter einem Waßerfall stehen!